Status: Complete

Skull and Dagger

Run!

“We’ve met before, Williams,” Frank’s eyes narrowed as they honed in on the source of the voice.

“Have we?” The older man stepped into the light then, his face looking harsh and skeletal in the flickering candle flames. “I can’t say that I recall you…”

“You ruined my family,” Frank hissed angrily.

Lord Williams let out a short bark of laughter. “Do you have any idea how little that narrows it down, boy?” he retorted.

Frank’s eyes darted back and forth among the men that surrounded him.

There were three dressed as police in addition to Williams and two others that seemed to be in the Lord’s employ. Not good odds, but not impossible, either. Especially since the man with the gun seemed to think the situation was well under control.

Frank’s head inclined slightly in the direction of the table behind them, and Annabelle caught the gesture, reaching for the heavy inkblotter that rested there.

“Can’t say I'm surprised,” Frank responded to Lord Williams' last comment, hoping to lull the enemy into a false sense of security. He himself inched behind the large wooden table in the center of the room. It meant that he had to distance himself from Annabelle, but he trusted that she would keep her cool without him. “They call me the pirate, but you’ve ruined far more lives.”

“And I should care, why?” Lord Williams waved his hand in the air disinterestedly.

“Because sooner or later, it's gonna come back to haunt you.” Frank stepped back further into the shadows, an evil smirk on his face.

The armed constable cocked his gun in warning, his attention focused entirely on Frank…and didn’t see Annabelle’s blow until it was too late. The gun went off just as the blotter struck his brow, knocking his aim askew.

There was a second’s hesitation before the other two officers rushed
Frank, but it was all the time he needed to overturn the table, knocking them both to the floor.

He and Annabelle both darted for the exit in that moment as Lord
Williams stood there sputtering, speechless. Their hands met just as they reached the door and linked together before they ran…
♠ ♠ ♠
'Nother update?