Status: Complete

Skull and Dagger

Do with her as you like.

“Oh, no,” a cold voice halted them dead in their tracks, “you don’t get away so easily this time.”

Annabelle began to panic when she saw that their escape was once again blocked. The men they had disabled were coming to, and the door was no longer a way out. She glanced at one of the narrow windows that lined the small office and contemplated whether or not Frank would be able to fit through it. She was fairly confident he could; after all, he was quite fit and lean.

However, when she tugged his hand in the direction of the only possible venue for escape, he remained frozen in place, unable to move.

“Frank!” she hissed desperately, watching the trap close in around them.

But the pain of betrayal had overcome him too far to worry about escape now. “Quinn?” he finally whispered in disbelief.

Quinn rolled his eyes and snorted derisively from where he and Bert blocked the door. “Don’t sound so surprised,” he retorted. “You knew that sooner or later I’d have to get you out of my way…”

“What?” Frank was still dumbfounded by this turn of events. “What the fucking hell are you thinkin’, Alman?” There was now a hint of anger in his voice.

“Simple,” Quinn retorted. “You have what I want.” His cold eyes darted over to Annabelle for a second before returning to his former captain’s. “I’m sick of following your orders, tired of being second best…or not even that - third best. So I’m taking what’s mine.”

Lord Williams let out a bored yawn, drawing the captive pair’s attention back to the trap they had been quite thoroughly caught in. “This is all fascinating, I’m sure,” he said wearily, “but I have things to do, deals to make…”

“Innocents to screw over,” Frank’s eyes narrowed.

Lord Williams didn’t bother to respond to that. With a quick snap of his fingers, he summoned two of the officers over, and they quickly moved to restrain Frank and Annabelle.

Frank didn’t even protest, the fight still gone out of him. However,

Annabelle’s heel connected sharply with the officer’s shin, making him stumble.

Outraged, the man struck her across the face. She staggered backward, her vision bleary from the force of the blow.

At the hit, Frank seemed to spring back to life, although too late. “You’ll pay for hurting her,” he hissed, deadly intent in his enraged eyes.

“Her?” The officer in question looked puzzled as he yanked Annabelle back up to her feet. It was then that he noticed that the red handkerchief she’d used to bind her hair in place had come off at his blow. Her golden tresses spilled down her shoulders, and for a second he just stood their stunned, his gaping mouth not looking unlike that of a flounder. “Bloody hell!” he finally cried in complete and utter shock. “’He's a she!” He pointed an accusing finger at what he had thought was a second pirate.

Annabelle took advantage of all her guards’ sudden bashfulness at touching her to try to break away. However, one of the young men who had accompanied Williams seemed to have no qualms about holding a lady captive. Annabelle would’ve struggled, but her brow was still stinging from the officer’s punch.

“Honestly, miss,” the officer in question now seemed flabbergasted at his actions. “Didn’t know you was a lady, I swear!”

“That’s right,” Annabelle tried to maintain her dignity despite her pulsing headache and her arms being held by the man behind her. “My name is Annabelle Simmons, daughter of Henry Simmons, and if you know what’s good for you, you’ll release me at once!” she practically screeched.

The grip on her arms suddenly weakened as the man behind her gasped in surprise. “Annabelle Simmons?” he exclaimed in astonishment.

Lord Williams looked no less shocked. “Henry’s daughter,” he hissed under his breath. “Impossible! You were…”

“Who d’you think captured that ship, moron?” Frank rolled his eyes and struggled against the ropes that were being tied around his hands.

“Miss Simmons,” Lord Abrahms’ attitude instantly softened. “I had no idea, of course… I don’t believe you’ve met my son Parker, yet?”

The young man who had held her gave her what he probably thought was a seductive smile. It didn’t have much effect on her, especially since she’d been on the receiving end of Frank’s gorgeous smirk so often.

This boy couldn’t even hope to stand up to her love.

“I believe my father had an arrangement with you,” Annabelle continued to press her advantage. “If you don’t wish to incur his wrath, I suggest you do as I say and release Frank and myself at once.”

Frank couldn’t help but smile. Really, this woman didn’t know when she was beat. A stubborn little thing, determined to have her way even when the logic of the universe itself was against her…

“But, surely, lady-” Lord Williams began, trying to salvage the rather profitable marriage and the easy access to Henry Simmons' fortunes it would provide.

“She’s no lady,” Quinn hissed, finally breaking his prolonged period of silence.

A sound very much like a growl emitted from Frank’s mouth.

Annabelle was equally outraged. “How dare you?!” she exclaimed indignantly.

Quinn snorted derisively. “She’s not much better than a common whore,” he informed the Williams'. “Had only known Frank, here, for about five minutes before she started sniffing around in his pants.”

Annabelle’s cheeks reddened with both anger and embarrassment. “You’re jealous,” she accused. “He didn’t let you take me, and now you’re trying to get revenge on us both.”

Quinn bit out a bitter bark of laughter. “You are an arrogant, self-absorbed little thing, aren’t you?” he countered. He leaned in dangerously close so that she could feel the heat of his angry breath against her face. “You’re no different than any of the other foolish women he’s taken up with in the past. They’re all the same.” His eyes narrowed. “They fall for the charm and leap right into his bed, only to be cast aside when he grows bored with them. Don’t tell me you didn’t know?” he added harshly. “It’s all an act, ‘sugar’…”

“Belle…” Frank’s voice was pleading, horrified.

“Shh,” she hushed him softly. The strangest feeling settled over her at Quinn’s words. Not so long ago, she’d heard something similar from Bob and been torn up by it. But now… She bit out a bark of laughter. “God, you’re pathetic,” she informed Quinn coldly. “You don’t know the first thing about Frank, do you? Or me?”

“That’s my girl,” Frank gave her a fond smile - one that stirred the fire deep in her belly even in this dire situation.

“Cheap harlot!” Quinn hissed angrily. “I’ll show you who-”

“Halt!” Lord Williams had been studying the situation with morbid curiously and finally decided it was time to intervene. Instantly, two of the men moved to restrain Quinn as well.

“What is this?” Quinn demanded in indignation.

Bert looked torn over whether it would be a good idea to aid his friend or not.

“Just…calming tempers,” Lord Williams said evasively before moving over to Annabelle. His son reasserted his grip on her in response. With a cruel smile, Lord Williams caught her chin in his palm, tilting her head upward to look at him. “Pretty thing,” he commented
absentmindedly. “Such a pity that she’s been…spoiled…”

“Father?” Parker demanded, confused and slightly hopeful. After all, if this marriage could be averted, he would be free to enjoy the variety of womankind for some time to come.

“Henry Simmons would undoubtedly be grateful had we rescued his daughter from her great peril,” he began.

“You’re not ‘rescuing’ me!” Annabelle hissed.

“Not any more,” Lord Williams agreed with a sinister grin. He turned to his son. “Quite a tragedy, wasn’t it, son?”

Parker looked thoroughly clueless about what his father was referring to, but years of being trained as a simple yes-man led him to instantly agree.

“It was such a shame that we didn’t find the infamous Francis the Bloody in time to prevent him from violating and murdering Henry’s only daughter,” Lord Williams said with false gravity. “However, we at least managed to bring the monster himself to justice.” His serpent gaze flickered to Frank. “I think your father will be quite grateful, don’t you?” This last statement was directed at Annabelle.

“You’re mad,” she accused, eyes narrowed.

“Really, my dear,” Lord Williams moved away from her disinterestedly now, “you shouldn’t take things so personally. After all, it’s just…business.” He gestured to the guards that were restraining Quinn, and they released him. “The girl is yours to do with as you like,” he announced, “just keep her away from my affairs.”

A wide grin split Quinn’s features, and he yanked Annabelle away from Parker, trapping her in his steely embrace. “Things are finally as they should’ve been,” he said victoriously.

“Let me go!” In an uncharacteristic ladylike gesture, she attempted to swat half-heartedly at him and wriggle free of his embrace. It didn’t help that he held both her hands firmly and had her legs trapped. There really wasn’t anything she could do to escape.

“Don’t touch her!” Frank began struggling frantically as well, desperate to aid his love.

“How touching,” Lord Williams said drolly. “A thief and murderer in love. Poetic and all that rot.” His tone turned more taunting. “Tell me, boy, will you profess your love for her when you hang from the gallows?”

The reality of Frank’s precarious position suddenly hit Annabelle then for the first time. “No…” she breathed in horror, her eyes widening.

“I love you.” There were tears in Frank’s eyes as the constables finally began to drag him away.

“Please!” Annabelle cried out. “I want to stay with him!”

“You are dead to the world now,” Lord Williams reminded her coldly, placing his hat upon his head before he moved out into the chilly night.

“Just one more minute…” she practically begged.

She got a cold sneer in response. “Pathetic,” he spat back. “No wonder
your father’s ashamed of you…”

“I love you, Frank!” she cried out. The door slammed shut, blocking her
last fleeting glimpse of the man she loved...
♠ ♠ ♠
That last bit even made me sad!