Status: Complete

Skull and Dagger

My ship, my crew, my woman.

“My ship, my crew, my woman,” Quinn said with a contented smile as he and Bert re-boarded the ship, Annabelle slung over Quinn’s shoulder.

“Not a bad night,” Bert agreed with a grin.

Annabelle was too numb to protest. Images of Frank’s beautiful, loving face promising her a lifetime together flashed before her mind’s eye, interspersed with his utterly broken expression as he was dragged away from her, a bound captive awaiting his inevitable death. Her eyes teared at the very thought. He had such a beautiful neck with soft skin that felt so warm and vibrant under her lips. The thought of his body cold, pale, lifeless…

“Always knew she wasn’t so tough,” Bert chuckled, watching Annabelle sob softly as Quinn set her down. Nevertheless, he quickly moved to bind her hands at feet. She didn’t even seem to see him as he worked.

“Jepha!” Quinn called out to the group of pirates that had approached after they had returned. His friend didn’t step out from the throng. “Jepha?” he repeated, brow furrowing.

“’He never came back from land,” one of the mercenaries that Lord Williams had hired for this mission informed him.

Quinn’s concern deepened. “You have all of Frank’s followers in the brig, though?” he demanded.

The mercenary looked puzzled. “They’re tied up on the beach so the coppers can have at them,” he insisted. “Didn’t you see them there?”

A bit of a panic settled on Quinn then. “They were supposed to remain here!” he insisted.

“That wasn’t what Jepha said!” the mercenary countered defensively.

“What Jepha said?” Quinn was hopelessly confused now.

“’He had us all bring the old crew ashore and then told us to wait back here for you,” the mercenary insisted. “Said those was your orders.”

“You’re sure it was Jepha?” Quinn repeated, still stunned.

The mercenary nodded. “Him and that other bloke with the hot bird,” he agreed.

Quinn’s eyes suddenly widened with understanding. “Gerard!” he hissed.

“Oh man, is he still loose?” Bert’s eyes shifted around nervously.

“Jepha was supposed to tie him up for the police…” Quinn trailed off when he realized just how big a flaw his plan had had. “We need to get out of here,” he abruptly announced. “Now.”

“But if Gerard’s still out there-” Bert began.

“We’ve got a ship; he doesn’t,” Quinn countered. “There’s nothing he can do to us after we get out of harbor.”

“But what about Jepha?” Bert demanded.

Quinn’s brow furrowed as he stared into the ink-black waters. “What about Jepha, indeed…”
♠ ♠ ♠
Again. Sorry for the long wait. You must all dislike me so much :(