Status: Complete

Skull and Dagger

I love you.

Earlier that night…
“I don’t like this,” Elizabeth announced, wrapping her arms around herself at the cold wind blowing down from the cliffs. “You men are so caught up in your revenge that you don’t even notice how too fucking perfect this situation is, and it’s stupid!” She stamped her foot on the ground for emphasis.

Embarrassed at being caught in what appeared to be a lover’s quarrel, Sites inconspicuously began to wind his way up the rocky cliff to meet the only other member of their landed party.

From his position as lookout on the cliff-face, Jepha had heard Elizabeth's sudden outburst as well. He didn’t spot the priest’s movements at first, however, absorbed instead with the swirling sensation that began in his gut as he continued to look through his telescope. One ship flanked each escape route from the narrow inlet, concealed by the cliffs from everyone in the crew except him.

The sound of Sites' steps sending a cascade of pebbles down the cliff abruptly caught his attention, and he quickly went down to meet the priest. After all, he didn’t want Sites' to see the enemy ships and sound the alarm. This early in the game that could be dangerous for all concerned.

As it was, should Frank somehow manage to get back to the ship, his escape would still be cut off. Everything was going according to Quinn’s plan. So why did everything feel so off?

He got out his resigned sigh before Sites' could see the warring emotions on his face. “Paying me a visit?” he asked curiously.

“Yes, well…” Sites' began, gesturing sheepishly to couple below, “I didn’t want to…intrude…”

Jepha chuckled softly before passing Sites' and heading back down to the beach. “I think the two of us should be able to keep them decent,” he countered wryly.

A smile crossed Site's face at that. “I should hope so,” he agreed.

“C’mon,” Jepha led the way back down the cliff. After all, he still had work to do…

“Elizabeth, what’s this about?” Gerard asked softly down below, his arms moving to wrap around her waist. “I thought you accepted this life.”

“Accept it, yes,” she agreed before biting her lip. “But it seems really dangerous,” she confessed softly, “and I’m worried about you…”

A soft smile lit up his lips. “It’ll be all right,” he assured her. “This mission is nothing. We’ve gotten through a lot more dangerous in the past.”

She managed a shy smile in response. “I know,” she admitted softly. “Guess it’ll just take me a little while to get used to this whole lover-in-peril thing.”

Gerard felt a stirring in his heart at her words and her manner. He had never seen Elizabeth act so bashful and vulnerable before. Despite her bluntness, she generally kept her deepest emotions hidden and safe. But seeing her like this…

“I love you.” The words escaped his lips like a caress, binding her to him, drawing her deeper into his arms.

Just as instinctively, Elizabeth whispered back. “Love you, too…”

And then they both froze at their mutual admissions.

“Elizabeth?” Gerard’s eyes widened in hope and disbelief.

Her cheeks flushed a dark, embarrassed crimson. “It’s just that you’re kind and funny and nicely-shaped, a-and you give me nice orgasms and make me feel beautiful and-” She knew she was babbling but couldn’t seem to stop.

Until Gerard’s lips captured hers, however. That left her far too breathless to speak.

“God, I want you!” Elizabeth gasped when she finally had to pull away for breath. Her hands instantly starting tugging at his shirt, struggling to get at his smooth, bare flesh.

An overly polite “ahem” interrupted her. However, Sites couldn’t help but smile at the touching display he’d just seen.

“Oh, uh…Sites, Jepha…” Gerard looked significantly embarrassed at being caught in this compromising position and tugged his shirt back around his chest…for the moment at least.

Elizabeth let out an impatient sigh. “I know you’re supposed to be look-out,” she complained, “but can’t you look at something other than us?”

“Sorry,” Jepha said, wincing inwardly at the sight before him. He’d been near enough to hear the admissions of love, but even if he hadn’t, it was all too apparent in the pair’s eyes.

“Uh, yeah…” Gerard was scratching his head and trying to diffuse the awkward situation…and the fact that certain regions of his anatomy were thrumming for Elizabeth’s skilled attentions wasn’t helping. “Look,” he began, his lower brain winning out, “I don’t suppose you two could keep watch for us while we…um…” He trailed off, embarrassed.

“Go have steamy sex to consummate our newfound love,” Elizabeth provided helpfully.

Gerard’s face turned a bit more maroon, if that was possible. “What she said,” he agreed sheepishly.

If anything, Sites blushed even more and began stuttering uncontrollably. “Er…um…I…well, that is…uh…”

Jepha felt the twisting sensation in his stomach increase. These two had no idea that in a couple of hours their lives would be over - Gerard hanged as a criminal, and perhaps Elizabeth as well…

“Go,” he agreed, cutting off the never-ending cycle of ‘um’s. Have your one last moment of happiness, he added in his head. “We’ll keep an eye on everything.”

“Thanks, man,” Gerard gave him a friendly pat on the shoulder. “We owe you one.”

“Don’t mention it,” Jepha said, trying to hide the guilt in his voice.

Elizabeth stood up on her toes and gave him a quick peck on the cheek. “You’re much nicer than Quinn’s other friends,” she informed him. “You exhibit many admirable qualities. I hope you find someone to give you many orgasms in the near future. And Sites is nice, too, of course,” she added after the fact. “But, without the orgasms because he’s a priest and all…”

“Thank you, Elizabeth,” Sites rolled his eyes.

Jepha was a bit more effected by her speech. “Uh…thanks,” he blushed horribly, “I think…”

Gerard gave him a knowing smile before taking Elizabeth’s hand and leading her off into a secluded spot in the cliffs.

Jepha sat down heavily on the sand. He’d always liked Gerard. Despite the competition that had been between Gerard and Quinn over who got to be first mate, Gerard had always treated Jepha with respect. And Elizabeth was turning out to be really sweet - loved by all the crew for the astonishing things that came out of her mouth so enthusiastically, even if she was a little weird at times.

And, to tell the truth, he’d always rather thought that Frank was a good captain. Despite Quinn’s perpetual rants, Frank had never led them astray.

In fact, if it hadn’t been for the fact that Quinn had saved his life…

“Are you quite all right?” Sites asked hesitantly, noticing that his companion seemed to be contemplating something seriously.

Jepha managed a weak smile. “Just making a decision,” he answered enigmatically.

Elizabeth’s scream of “I love you” broke through the still of the night. And, at that moment, Jepha snapped. He had followed Quinn’s every beck and call for far too long. And, while he may not have been best friends with any of those Quinn wanted to betray, he sure as hell wasn’t going to turn traitor over Quinn’s stupid vendetta.

With a deep breath, he braced himself for facing Gerard. With any luck, it wasn’t too late to salvage things…

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“But Jepha was one of us!” Bert insisted, still stunned.
Quinn snorted derisively. “He was always the weakest,” he countered. “He’s made his choice; I can’t help him now.” His eyes narrowed. “The police will scour the shores for our escaped ‘friends’. They won’t get far.” He abruptly turned away and went over to Annabelle, dragging her up to her feet once more. “Now, if you don’t mind, my woman and I would like to get settled in…”