Status: Complete

Skull and Dagger

Frankie boy!

Frank sat in his cell, horribly frustrated and still quite angry that he hadn’t managed to kill Lord Williams before the guards intervened. After all, if he had to die, he might as well take the old bastard out with him...

The key jangled in the lock, and he looked up in surprise. He hadn’t expected anyone to dare to venture back into his cell for quite some time.

“I seem to be quite the celebrity, what with the constant parade of visitors an’ all,” he commented snidely.

“And, if you know what’s good for ya, ya’ll not ‘urt this one!” the guard retorted gruffly, opening the door to reveal...

Frank quickly hid his sudden hope at the sight of the familiar face before him. It wouldn’t do to play this new and interesting hand too soon...

“Don’t know what good your preachin’ ‘ll do this one,” the guard commented. “’E’s already damned.”

“It is still my duty to speak with him before the end,” Sites said primly. “And I would thank you to leave the two of us alone.”

The guard cast a skeptical look in Frank’s direction. “I got orders that ‘f he grabs a hostage, tough luck on them,” he informed Sites.

“Yes, very good,” Sites said disinterestedly. “Now, leave us.”

“Your funeral,” the guard shrugged before closing the door behind them.

Sites quickly put a finger to his lips, listening to the guard walk away. Even after they seemed to be alone, he sat right next to Frank and whispered softly so that
there was no chance they could be heard. “Are you all right?” he asked, concerned.

Frank sighed. “As well as can be expected,” he agreed, wincing at his still-bruised ribs.

Sites nodded sympathetically. “And Annabelle? Do you know where she is?”

Frank’s expression darkened. “Quinn took her,” he bit out angrily. “That fucking bastard helped set me up.”

“Yes, we know,” Sites agreed. “Jepha turned on him and helped us all escape. Quinn has your ship, but the loyal men in your crew are waiting outside the fort.”

“Gerard?” Frank asked anxiously.

“Fine,” Giles assured him. A sly smile crossed his lips. “Still trying to keep a rein on Elizabeth’s more...outrageous statements.”

Frank managed a chuckle, despite his dire situation. “Hasn’t been giving you too much trouble, I hope.”

“It’s amazing how quickly one grows used to her,” Giles assured him.

Frank gave him an approving pat on the shoulder for that before turning serious again. “I take it this is more then a social call?”

Sites nodded. “We’re going to get you out of here,” he agreed.

“Forget about me,” Frank insisted. “Belle is-”

“-Beyond our reach at the moment,” Sites pointed out. “We will undoubtedly find a way to save her as well. But if we allowed you to perish in the meantime...” He
shuddered. “I would not care to face her wrath,” he only half-joked.

Frank conceded the point with a longing smile. “Downright menace, she is,” he remembered fondly before his mind turned back on topic. “You’ve got a plan?”

“We have,” Sites agreed. “However, we cannot manage it while you are locked in the dungeons. A priest can enter almost any fortress, but a large group of men is something else entirely.”

Frank nodded. “When then?”

“Well, the only time you will be allowed out is when you are ushered to the gallows,” Sites pointed out.

Frank grimaced. “That’s cutting things a mite close...”

“There is a plan,” Sites insisted. “The noose may be put around your neck, but the trapdoor will never fall out...”

“What do you need me to do?” Frank agreed.

Sites pulled a small object from the folds of his robes and handed it to him. “They never bother to search men of the cloth,” he explained off of Frank’s disbelieving look.

“And a damn good thing, too,” Frank commented before wincing inwardly. “Er...sorry ‘bout that...” he referred to his casual swearing.

Sites shrugged. “You wouldn’t believe how much worse I’ve heard in the past few days.” He rose to his feet. “You know what to do?”

Frank nodded. “Annabelle?” he demanded.

“I’ll make sure Gerard sees to it straight away,” Giles promised.

“Thanks,” Frank said sincerely. “For helping me, I mean. You’re running a risk that you don’t have to, and I know it goes against everything-”

“If my faith has taught me anything,” Sites cut him off, “it is that I should trust in the mind and heart that god gave me. And I currently have no doubt that you and Annabelle deserve very much to be happy together.”

A soft, shy smile crossed Frank’s face at that, betraying something of the innocent young man he had once been. “Thanks,” he repeated.

“You can thank me by following Gerard’s excellent advice for you,” Sites retorted.

“And that was?”

“Try to keep that furious temper of yours under control...at least, until the time is right,” Sites responded with an amused smile.

Frank chuckled at that, hiding the object in question in his sleeve. “I’ll remember that,” he promised. “I owe you one.”

“Don’t mention it.” Sites gave him a paternal smile before signaling to the guard that he was ready to leave...
♠ ♠ ♠
And here is Frank. As promised :)