Status: In Progress [:

The Only Exception

I'm Letting Go of All My Downer Thoughts

It didn't take long for Sunday to figure out that while they were a kind bunch, the Gaskarths were also quite a bit to take in. They were quite family oriented and also somewhat unused to having Alex home for long periods of time, which probably explained why every meal for the first two days of Sunday and Alex's visit seemed to have at least ten people present. There were always a million questions for Sunday to answer, and while she had no idea what kind of impression she was leaving people with, she tried her hardest to answer and be personable.

Most of the time, the questions were harmless and basic knowledge. They asked Sunday how old she was, what her mother and father did for a living, what California was like. They liked hearing about how she had met Alex and what their son or grandson or nephew or cousin had been like while he was in California. However, sometimes the questions were a little more personal and unsettling. Often she was trying to evade questions about what she was going to do when Alex's band went back on tour and what the next step in their relationship was going to be.

Everyone seemed to assume that she and Alex were in a relationship. In California, everyone got it, despite whether or not they liked it. Sunday's parents and even grandmother didn't bother the pair about what they were doing while they were together. Alex's friends understood it, even Zack who quite openly disliked Sunday.

But in Baltimore, no one knew exactly what to make of Alex and Sunday, so they took a quite usual route and questioned her relentlessly about it. However, Sunday soon learned that it wasn't exactly the easiest situation to explain.

"Just friends?" Alex's grandmother asked, her grey eyebrows furrowed. "I'm sure I don't understand dear." She was smiling kindly, but she was laying so much attention on Sunday that the brunette could feel her hands begin to sweat around the cup of tea that she was holding.

"Yeah," Sunday replied with a tentative smile. "We do stuff together all the time. Alex comes shopping with me, and sometimes I go to parties with him. Just... you know, friend stuff."

The older woman placed her tea cup down on the coffee table. "So Alex brought his friend across the country to spend the Christmas holidays with us?" she inquired, her face set in a critical expression.

Thankfully, Alex swept in to save her before Sunday could begin to stammer an explanation. "Hey, Grandma, I'm gonna have to steal Sunday for a minute," he said with a playful smile as he wrapped an arm around Sunday's waist and pulled her up from the couch.

"Thank God," Sunday sighed as she and Alex started ascending the stairs to the upper level of the house. "What do you need me for?" she added when he pushed open the door of her bedroom.

"Have I told you how gorgeous you look today?" Alex asked before he kicked the door shut and then pulled Sunday into his chest.

She giggled and glanced down at her outfit. Before breakfast that morning Alex had told her that his grandparents were coming to visit, and Sunday had been quite intimidated by these new relatives that she hadn't yet met. So she had dug through her suitcase until she found a suitable grey t-shirt dress with three quarter length sleeves.

Her laughter increased in volume and pitch as Alex took a few steps towards her bed, and the pair of them fell back onto the fluffy mattress. "What are you doing?" she demanded with a chuckle.

"Shhh," Alex insisted. He planted a kiss on her mouth before his fingers pulled on the side zipper of her dress.

"Alex!" She placed her hands on his shoulders and pushed him away a few inches. "You can't just—Your parents and grandparents and Aunt Tina are right downstairs!"

"I can be quiet," Alex added pleadingly, his hand working its way back to the zipper of her dress.

Sunday shook her head. "We are not doing... that with your family right downstairs," she countered stubbornly. She wiggled out from underneath him and pulled the zipper back up. "They could walk in at any minute!"

"They'll knock," Alex pointed out as he put a hand under Sunday's chin and tilted her head up so that her lips could meet his. "Besides, doesn't that make it—"

"If you say fun, you have serious problems," she said, pulling away again. She turned around and continued to straighten her dress.

Alex sighed in defeat. "You're right," he said as he rubbed the back of his neck. "Sorry." He pulled the door open, prepared to leave, when Sunday's voice stopped him.

"I love you," she reminded him in an apologetic tone.

"I love you too." He couldn't even try not to say it to her anymore. As soon as she uttered the words, he wanted to respond, he wanted her to know that it was true. At the most ridiculous times, he found himself whispering them to her. It was the most nonsensical thing.

Although she approached him to continue speaking, she couldn't look at his eyes as she continued on; it was an embarrassing topic in and of itself. "And if... I think that we could... I mean, it's not like I haven't thought..." She trailed off and huffed, frustrated with herself for not being able to articulate her thoughts.

Alex smirked. "Sun," he began, "do you want to sleep with me?"

Her cheeks turned a deep pink color, and she continued to stare at his shirt. "Yes," she admitted in a whisper. Alex grinned and wrapped his arms around her waist, prepared to pull her to him for a kiss until Sunday placed her small hands on his chest and pushed some space between them.

"But if I do, I become like all of them," she declared.

"Sun, who are you talking about?" he asked, thoroughly perplexed.

"Like the girl from Zack's Halloween party," she explained, "And I'm sure she wasn't the first one. Have you even thought of her since that night?"

"Er, no, not exactly," Alex confessed.

"I've seen movies and read books and heard a million of Amber's stories," Sunday said, "and I don't want that to be the end of us. Whatever we are." She finished her statement in a voice tinged with frustration, and Alex easily deduced that the frustration was directed towards herself.

"Okay, sit down," he ordered, grabbing her hand and pulling her towards the bed. "What else is on your mind?"

She sighed and then put her face in her hands. "It's so hard," she admitted.

"What is?" Alex pressed.

She hesitated and began nervously cracking her fingers while she paced back and forth in front of him. "Everything," she finally sighed. "You looked so... sad a few minutes ago when we didn't... And believe me, I want to. I just feel like maybe I'm not ready for it or we aren't as a... we, if we are a we. If not, that's totally okay too. And I hate these shoes!" She kicked the heels off, and they bounced a few feet before falling silent. "And these tights. And I lied to your grandmother, I hate green tea."

Although it probably wasn't the appropriate moment, Alex started laughing. "Sunday, calm down," he ordered as he stood up and forced her to stop pacing. "I'm okay with not having sex. If it's a big deal to you, I'm not gonna push it. We'll just see what happens, okay?"

Slowly, she nodded. "Okay. Thank you."

He kissed her forehead before he added, "And you need to chill out about everything else. Throw on some jeans and a t-shirt and then meet me back downstairs. My family loves you, babe."

"Are you sure?" she asked as Alex opened the door.

He nodded. "I'll throw out all the tea before you get downstairs too."

When Sunday walked back downstairs, she was wearing a pair of skinny jeans and a pink shirt scoop neck shirt that was low enough to expose the lace on her white camisole. She probably didn't think much of it, but Alex did. Her hair had been freed from it's constricting pony tail, and Alex noticed his grandmother gazing at the messy waves with a disapproving expression.

Sunday hesitated momentarily in the doorway before she boldly stepped into the living room. With a renewed spring in her step, she joined Alex on the couch and made herself comfortable. When she crossed her legs beneath her, Alex realized she was barefoot and had to restrain a laugh. His grandmother was probably wondering what the fuck had happened upstairs.

"Oh, you look nice, Sunday dear," Mrs. Gaskarth smiled as she and Melanie joined the party in the living room.

"Thanks," Sunday replied. Her smile portrayed a new confidence that impressed Alex and made his earlier statement that he was okay with not having sex a little less true.

Melanie noisily stirred her tea, earning a glare from Grandma Gaskarth. She pretended not to notice though as she had never cared much about whether the Gaskarths liked her (having Dan had been enough for her), and a moment later, she was striking up a conversation with Sunday. "So are you coming to Chrissy and Jake's wedding with Alex, Sunday?" she inquired.

"Wedding?" Sunday repeated, eyebrows contorted in confusion.

Alex grimaced. "Yeah, I was hoping we were going to be able to sit that one out," he explained.

"Nonsense!" retorted Grandma Gaskarth. "It's going to be a lovely event. I insist that you're both there."

"Ostentatious is more like it," Melanie whispered to Sunday with a giggle. "Chrissy is determined to have the most ridiculously extravagant wedding the family has ever seen."

Sunday giggled as well, and Mrs. Gaskarth added, "It'll be so much fun. And aren't you dying to see Alexander all dressed up, Sunday?"

While Alex immediately mouthed "no", Sunday bit her lip. "Actually..." she admitted, "I do think it'd be fun."

Alex sighed, and the arm around Sunday's shoulders flopped a little in an exasperated fashion. "There's no way I can fight an army of Gaskarth women. I don't think it's ever been done before."

"With good reason," Peter Gaskarth commented from behind his newspaper.

"At least there will be open bar," Alex conceded.

"That's my boy," praised Peter.

Sunday had to laugh at the pair, and secretly, she was still quite thrilled that she was being included in the 'Gaskarth women' area. Even though she was definitely not part of the family the immediate members, being Peter and Isobel and Melanie, seemed to be readily accepting her. And for the moment, that would be enough.

"This is so exciting!" Melanie grinned. "We'll have to take you shopping, Sun! Just you, me and Isobel. A strictly girls' day."

Although she had primarily been suspicious of Melanie, Sunday now returned her excited smile. "It sounds like a lot of fun," she replied earnestly.

As she leaned into Alex's side and let the conversation transition into plans for the Christmas holidays, Sunday had no idea why she had gone off on a frustrated tirade earlier. Things were going great, and she had a feeling that Baltimore was only going to get better.
♠ ♠ ♠
New layout! The banner was made by the wonderful, JJ ( jackATTACK!).

The next part should be up really soon. Let me know what you think of this one(: And the layout.