Status: In Progress [:

The Only Exception

You Think You Understand, But You Don't

A firm hand rapped on the wooden door that was separating Sunday from the rest of the Gaskarth home. She nervously swallowed as she tugged on her dress and ignored the knock on the door. "Sunday?" called Melanie, "Are you almost ready? Alex and the guys are waiting downstairs."

Sunday shook her head in a resolute manner. "I can't go," Sunday whispered as she tried to steady her hands. Melanie had left her with the task of inserting her earrings, but her hands were shaking so badly that Sunday couldn't get the piece of jewelry close to the hole in her ear.

"What, Sun?"

You're going to let them all down, chided a voice in her head. Don't be so selfish, Sunday. You're always thinking about yourself. What about other people? Melanie's been so nice to you, she even helped you pick out this dress. She doesn't have to be nice to you. And Alex. He'll be so disappointed. Although the boy should start getting used to you being a disappointment...

She shook her head, trying to force the negative thoughts to evaporate. "I'm coming," she called to Melanie as she struggled to pull her shoes on and forced the diamond earrings into her ears. They hurt as she rarely wore earrings, but Sunday merely viewed it as her penance for even considering asking Alex if they could skip the wedding.

After she heard the sound of Melanie's stilettos smack against the floor in the foyer, Sunday emerged from her room. She took a few deep breaths as she stared at the stairs. Once she walked down them, there was no turning back. Once she joined the group awaiting her downstairs, she would be forced to endure a night of meeting new people and being forced to engage in conversation, both of which she had no idea how to do properly.

She leaned against the wall opposite her bedroom and focused on the reflection that appeared in the gilded mirror near her bedroom door. She was about to tell herself to get over her anxiousness and go downstairs when she heard a familiar voice. "Why am I here?" Jack whined, "Jake's your cousin, not mine."

Her elation at Jack's presence was diminished slightly when another voice chimed in. "Seriously," Zack agreed, "Not that I object to the free food or the fact that there's probably going to be a bunch of hot girls there, but why'd you want us to come anyway?"

"He's pretty much your guys' cousin too," Alex responded, "You've known him since we were like... fifteen."

"Fuck, I feel old." Sunday giggled at the disappointment in Jack's voice.

"Why do you need us?" Zack continued. "You have Sunday." The way he said her name made Sunday wrinkle her nose; she didn't like it.

"One of these days, she's going to grow on you," Alex retorted.

"Where's Rian?" Jack demanded. "He's being subjected to this torture too, right?"

Sunday could imagine Alex rolling his eyes at Jack's pouting. "I already told you he's picking Kara up and then going to the church with her," Alex explained.

"Just making sure," replied Jack. "Suuuuunday! Are you ready yet?"

She jumped when she heard Jack yell up the stairs for her. "Uh, yeah," she replied as she pulled her door shut and then cautiously made her way down the stairs. The shoes that Melanie had convinced her to buy were not easy to walk in; in fact, even when she was simply standing in the black peeptoes, Sunday felt like she was about to topple over.

"Um, ready to go?" she asked once she made it to the foyer. Everyone's gaze turned to her, as she had been the last to join their group, and it made Sunday feel uncomfortable.

Melanie took one of Jack's arms and one of Zack's before she started for the door. "We'll be waiting in the car," she announced as she cast a smirk in Alex's direction.

He rolled his eyes at the older girl but didn't immediately follow his friends. "You ready?" he asked, grinning at Sunday.

She nervously glanced in the closest mirror. "I'm not sure," she admitted with a sigh.

Alex took her hand and laced his fingers in between hers. "Sun, you look beautiful," he told her, wondering if she would believe him. Whenever he commented on her appearance, she had a tendency to laugh it off.

She smiled this time but still didn't look convinced. "Melanie picked it out," she divulged as she tugged at the sapphire blue satin. It was a beautiful dress: strapless, a sweetheart neckline, a sleek full-length silhouette. "It's not too tight?" Sunday asked as she nervously pulled on a curl that had fallen from her messy updo (another concoction produced by Melanie).

"Not at all," Alex assured her with a grin.

"I feel like something's about to fall out," Sunday whispered as she tried to pull the strapless dress up a little higher.

"That wouldn't be a problem, if you ask me," Alex whispered back as he opened the door for her.

Sunday rolled her eyes and chuckled. "Really, Sun," Alex continued, "if you don't like the dress, we could just take it off now."

"I wouldn't even feel better then," Sunday confided. "You should see the stuff Melanie made me buy to go under this."

Although she was probably totally unaware of what she was doing, Sunday's sentence produced a wonderful vision in Alex's head that made him tug at his bow tie. "Hurry up, Zack," he muttered as he rolled down his window, grateful for the gust of cool air that rushed through the small gap. "We're going to be late, and then my mom's going to kill us before we get to try out this great open bar."

They arrived at the church with only five minutes to spare and were further hampered when Melanie somehow managed to loose her shoe under the car. By the time they made it into the seats that Peter and Isobel had saved them, the wedding march was already beginning to play. "Cutting it close," Isobel scolded as her son settled himself beside her.

"Blame Melanie and Jack," Alex announced. "His hair wasn't good enough, and she lost her shoe under the fucking car."

"We're in a church," she chided, obviously disapproving of his choice of language.

"I'm sure they've had days like this," Alex shot back as he took in the elaborate painting on the ceiling of the church, depicting some kind of biblical tale. While he noticed that some people were pointing at it and remarking on how 'lovely' it was, Alex felt like it was a bad knock-off of the Vatican.

He glanced at Sunday, about to ask her what she thought of the stuffy church, when he noticed that her head was turned and a huge smile was lighting up her face. He followed her gaze and noticed that Chrissy's bridesmaids were beginning their procession down the aisle. "Glad we came?" he asked, cocking an eyebrow.

She nodded excitedly, and Alex opened his mouth to say something else when she put a finger to her lips and shushed him. Alex's eyebrows furrowed together, and his mouth fell open slightly. "Did you really just shush me to watch Chrissy—"

"Aleeeex," Sunday whisper-giggled.

"Fine," Alex relented as he watched his cousin grin at his fiancée like a moron. "But this isn't over, Miss Phillips."

The ceremony was brief, which Alex was thankful for. It wasn't that he disliked weddings; he just found the reception to be much more entertaining than the ceremony. And he was quite anxious to test out all of the expensive alcohol that he was hoping his cousin had splurged on.

"This is gorgeous," Sunday grinned as they entered the ballroom where the reception was being held.

The lighting was dimmer with deep purple shades, and the interior of the ballroom had been transformed into an icy and glittering wonderland, quite appropriate considering the season. There were ice sculptures (which Sunday insisted were the most wonderful things she had ever seen), and several chandeliers, all dripping with diamonds that sparkled when they caught the light. Everything was a light and shimmery silver with bold red accents, and overall, the affect was indeed grand.

"Our table's over here," Alex said as he grabbed her hand and pulled her to their seats before any of his family members could accost them and make Sunday feel awkward. So far, she seemed to genuinely be enjoying herself, and Alex wanted to keep things that way.

"I've never seen anything more beautiful," Sunday decided as she touched the centerpiece on the table.

They were already standing close, and Alex leaned just a bit closer. "I have," he whispered, his lips brushing her ear.

Sunday giggled and stepped away from him. "Have you?" she asked, her brown eyebrow cocked in an inquisitive expression.

"I'm looking at her right now," he smiled.

"I'm flattered, Mr. Gaskarth," she smiled as she took a seat at their table.

Soon, the rest of his band wandered over to the table as well as Kara, Rian's girlfriend, and Melanie. Introductions were made between Kara and Sunday, and Alex was relieved to find that Sunday seemed to like Kara immensely. "I'm going to go get something from the bar," Alex declared after Jake and Chrissy had their first dance as a married couple. "You want anything?"

Sunday shook her head and picked up her water goblet. "I'm good," she countered with a smile.

Alex kissed the top of her head as he stood up. She was so beautiful and sweet. "I'll be right back."

The bar was a stylish addition to the ball room, and as with everything else, it was shining and seemed almost crystallized. Alex took a seat at one of the stools and waved the bartender over. "What do you have?" he asked.

The bartender paused for a minute. "You look like you could use a shot," he finally decided. "Am I right?"

"Why not," Alex grinned. A small shot glass was soon set in front of him, filled with some unknown amber colored liquid. He slid a five to the bartender before throwing the shot back.

"Enjoying the party?" a silky voice inquired.

Alex turned his head to find a girl with light brown hair sitting next to him. She was tall but also very thin and wearing a dress that showed off her nice figure. Her face could have been innocent, if not for the smirk she wore. She resembled Sunday, which made Alex immediately interested in her. "Oh yeah," he nodded, "Fucking ice sculptures and food with names like pickled duck? How is that not fun?"

She laughed and sat down in the seat next to Alex. The bartender gave her his attention, and she ordered a dry martini. "Chrissy's my best friend from high school," she explained, and Alex noticed that she was indeed the girl who had stood as maid of honor in the wedding. "I moved to New York after we graduated, so I'm staying at the Hilton for a few days. It's a pretty nice place."

The implication from the brunette's statements were that if he so wished to, returning to her hotel room with her would indeed be an option for Alex Gaskarth. And it was an option that Alex was considering. A lazy grin captured his handsome face. "Do you want to dance?" he asked.

"I thought you'd never ask," she beamed as she slid off of her bar stool. But not before tossing back her martini, of course.

Meanwhile, Sunday was sitting at her table waiting for Alex to come back. She noticed Kara fidget as the dance floor began filling up, and she decided, "You and Rian should go dance."

Kara waved her off. "Nah, I'll wait till Alex comes back," she said. "Who knows how long Zack and Jack are going to be. I don't even know where they went, honestly."

Sunday picked up her fork and poked at the chicken on her plate. "Seriously, Kara, go," she suggested. "I can pig out in peace if I'm alone," she added in a teasing voice.

It was not difficult to convince Kara to take Rian to dance. "Alright," she smiled, standing up and taking her boyfriend's hand, "We'll be back soon."

When they left, Sunday guessed that Kara and Rian wouldn't be back for a while, and they proved her assumption correct. Though it made her feel like a creep, Sunday couldn't help watch them as they moved in small circles around the dance floor. They were so well suited for each other. Rian seemed happier, more smiley when he was with Kara, and though Sunday had never seen Kara without Rian, she guessed that the girl reflected the same improvements upon attitude.

Jack and Zack also seemed to find suitable dance partners, and Alex... well, Sunday couldn't quite locate him. She tried not to let herself feel strange, sitting alone at a table while almost everyone else in the room was dancing or visiting with people they knew, but she couldn't help it.

She felt invisible, like the world didn't notice she was there. And maybe they didn't. Sunday sometimes wasn't sure if she was noticeable at all. It was possible Alex had only noticed her because she was one of the few girls who lived near Zack.

When feelings of discomfort began to creep into Sunday's skin, they took over. Immediately, she began to slouch and stared at an inanimate object, trying to draw as little attention as possible. She no longer felt even remotely beautiful, only out of place. Sunday sniffled as the sounds of laughter and music and happy conversation reached her ears. She wanted to be home, in California, asleep in bed.

Alex would have noticed that something was wrong with Sunday if he had thought to check on her. But he was currently enthralled by Jessie, the brunette that he had danced with several times already. They stopped back at the bar for drinks after their third dance, and an hour into the night, Jessie was starting to let her words slur. "I'm having a lot of fun with you, Alex," she smiled as she wrapped her arms loosely around his neck.

Weddings were such good places to pick up girls. Often, the closer they were to the bride, the more jealous they were (secretly, of course) and depressed about their status as a single girl. But when there were handsome single guys like Alex around...

"Fuck," he groaned. He wasn't technically single. Well, he was. He wasn't sure whether or not he was, but he knew that he had come to the wedding with Sunday and that he should probably check on her soon. "I have to go do something," he told Jessie. "Wait here?"

She gave him a lingering kiss before she whispered, "Don't be too long."

It took him a minute to locate their table, due to the fact that it was nearly empty except for Sunday's slumped figure. "Hey," he said as he fell into the seat next to her. "I'm so sorry I was gone so long. Where's everyone else?"

"Dancing," Sunday answered in a voice totally void of any type of emotion.

"You okay?" he asked, eyebrows furrowed.

"Sure," Sunday said as she picked up the glass of red wine that sat before her. She took a large gulp from it. "You should probably get back to your date—she looks a little impatient."

He glanced over his shoulder and saw that Jessie was indeed scanning the ballroom for him. He bit his lip. Yeah, he wanted to score, but he'd never seen Sunday looking more gorgeous, and he didn't want to squander the whole night with one girl anyway. "Come dance with me first," he said, grabbing her hand.

She heaved a sigh—irritated with his outright admission that he would be getting back to the brunette that he had met—but let herself be gently pulled onto the dance floor anyway. "You having fun?" Alex asked.

The smile that she presented him with seemed forced. "Sure."

The atmosphere between them felt awkward, and Alex cleared his throat, looking for some kind of small talk. "Did I tell you how beautiful you look tonight?" he inquired as he stepped a bit closer to her.

"Stop doing that," Sunday said, stepping away from him and ending their dance. "Please." She cast him the most despairing look he had ever seen her face produce before she turned on her heel and tried to slink out of the ball room without attracting the attention of the general public in the room.

She didn't succeed, however, and several people turned their heads to stare at Alex as Sunday stomped away from him. Go after her, Melanie mouthed from where she was dancing with Jack.

He had planned on it anyway, but the order from Melanie sent Alex's legs into action. He was taller than Sunday, and he caught up to her as soon as they walked into the hall outside of the ballroom. "Is everything okay, Sun?" Alex asked.

She wiped away the tears that had dripped out of her eyes and tried to turn away from Alex. He caught her arms and forced her to face him. "I thought I could do this," she muttered, "I thought that everything was going to be okay, but I can't."

His eyebrows furrowed in confusion, and at that moment, Alex was sure that his face probably bore the world's largest question mark. "Sun, what are you talking about?" he asked.

After she heaved a sigh and wiped all of her tears off the tops of her cheeks, Sunday began to speak. Her voice was quivered, and she seemed to barely have herself under control. "I love you, and I know that you love me, you say it all the time, I just... I think I love you in a way that's different than the way in which you love me," she elaborated.

Alex was silent, so Sunday continued on. "I'm in love with you, Alex. And I never realized that they were different things and different feelings, but... Tonight when I saw you with that girl and realized that everything that we do means something different to you than it does to me..." She trailed off and shook her head. More tears began racing down her cheeks, and this time, Sunday didn't bother to wipe them away.

"Sunday," Alex murmured as he picked up one of her clammy hands, "it doesn't mean something different to me. I don't know when it happened or how, but I've been in love with you for a while now, Sun." He cracked a smile, which was slightly reassuring.

"But that girl just now—"

"She looked like you," Alex pointed out, "Sue me."

There was a small silence between them, broken only when Sunday exhaled deeply. "This is... good. I've wanted to tell you all of this for a while now," she admitted, "but I never imagined it being this okay."

"You're such a pessimist," Alex noted as he gave her a quick kiss.

She smiled despite the insult and leaned in for a hug. "What do we do now?" she asked as she stared at his bow tie.

"Well, there's this little concept called a relationship that I want to introduce you to," Alex announced as he wrapped his arms around her.

"Let's get out of here," Alex added as he planted a kiss on top of her head. "Then I can explain this concept to you fully, since we're going to try it out."

Sunday wasn't simply smiling anymore—she was beaming, she was glowing, she felt like just jumping due to the immense joy that was flooding her chest. "That sounds like the best idea I've heard all week," she agreed.
♠ ♠ ♠
Finaaaaaally! They're together(: I feel like this is a milestone. Commenters, have at it haha. Just wondering: Is anyone disappointed that they're official?