Sequel: I Bet it Stung
Status: Completed

Take Me Anywhere

Chapter 13

Mia parked her car in front of the CN Tower and glared up at it menacingly. "I don't like you," she said to the tower, narrowing her eyes and deeply furrowing her brow. Sidney walked up beside her, looked up at the tower's highest point, and then back down at the petite brunette that stood next to him.

"You're talking to a building."

"I'm talking to my mortal enemy," she replied. "Last time I was here, I was eight and Alice pushed me onto the glass floor before I could mentally prepare myself."

"How bad can it be?" he smirked. "Come on. I'll race you up the stairs!"

"What?" she cried. "That's no fair! You have two hundred pounds of muscle, I have flab and skin!"

"I was kidding," Sidney laughed. "I think even the CN Tower would be a challenge for me."

Jordan and Alice walked past Mia and Sidney and grinned. "Come on," Alice prompted. "Let's take the glass elevator up to the glass floor. It'll be so sick!"

"I think I might even be sick," Mia grumbled, trudging towards the building with Sidney in tow. "Why does everything have to be made of glass?"

"To taunt you," Sid teased. "Come on, let's go. Stop being such a baby."

"If you say so, kid."

The four of them made their way into the building, past the tourist shop and to the elevator. It wasn't particularly packed, and so they pretty much had the elevator all to themselves...except the elevator's attendant, that is.

"Welcome to the world-famous CN Tower," the middle-aged blond woman smiled. "Would you like to be taken up to the glass floor?"

"Yes!" Jordan squealed excitedly.

"Alright," the woman laughed. She pressed one of the numerous buttons and cleared her throat. "Hold onto the railings. The gravity might push down on you quite a bit. The glass floor stands at 1122 feet, 343 feet below the Sky Pod, which is the highest public observation deck in Canada. We can't say the world anymore, ever since the construction of the building in Dubai."

The woman kept reciting information about the CN tower as the elevator shot up to the top, making Mia almost fall down. She clung to the railing for dear life, squeezing her eyes shut, praying for it to be over. Thankfully, after about a minute, it was.

"Enjoy your visit," the woman called as Mia stumbled out of the elevator before everyone else.

"Oh, God," she groaned, holding her head. "Maybe it would have been a better idea to take the stairs."

"No time!" Sidney grinned, scooping her up in his arms. "Glass floor!"

"Oh dear sweet baby Jesus," Mia kept repeating as she tried to wiggle out of Sidney's firm grip. She admitted defeat and clamped her hands over her eyes so that she wouldn't have to see directly beneath her. She assumed that she and Sidney were on the glass floor when he started to jump up and down.

"Hey, it says this thing can hold fourteen adult female hippos," he commented.

"I take offense to that," Mia heard Alice say from not too far off. "They're implying that females are fatter than males."

"I don't want to argue with you, Alice," Mia called, "but it is scientifically proven."

"Whatever," Alice huffed. "This is why so many girls go on diets to look like sticks. Not even the hippos are free from this kind of scrutiny and discrimination."

"I wonder how many hockey players that would fit," Jordan commented. "I bet it couldn't hold all of the Penguins. Geno would do it in for sure."

"I don't mean to be rude," Mia said, in a sweet, whisper-quiet voice. "But would someone tell Sidney to please put me down? Away from the glass floor?"

She heard Sidney laugh. "Yeah, yeah, okay."

She felt him walking as she bounced up and down in his arms until finally he set her down and said, "You can open your eyes now."

Mia reluctantly did so, but immediately regretted it. Sidney hadn't taken her off the glass floor, he had put her further down its stretch. She yelped in fear and clung to him, her fingers digging into the fabric of his shirt. "I hate you."

"Nah, you don't," he mused. "You're doing fine. I don't think you weigh more than fourteen female hippos."

"This is not my idea of fun," she declared. "I want off. Now, please. And don't lie to me this time."

When Sid noticed that she was shaking, he realized that she wasn't kidding. "Okay. I'm sorry." He scooped her up again and set her down on solid ground.

"It's okay," she said, straightening out her shirt and taking in a deep breath. "At least Jordy and Ally are having their fun."

"Jordy and Ally?" Sid repeated with a laugh. "Cute."

"No, really," she grinned. "Look at them."

Jordan and Alice were sitting down on the middle of the glass floor together, looking down at all the cars and people that were passing below. They were apparently playing some sort of counting game, because Alice declared that she had won, and stood up with her hands in the air until Jordan pulled her back down into his lap and gave her a small peck on the lips.

"They really are cute together," Mia smiled. "I'm glad they're happy."

Sidney looked at her curiously. "But...are you happy?"

"Well," she shrugged, "I'm happy that they're happy."

"That's not what I asked."

Mia let out a sigh and gave Sidney a side hug. "I'm as happy as I'll ever be. Don't worry about it."

Sidney looked down at her and wondered if she was just trying to fool herself. He didn't like the thought of it, but seeing that small twinkle in her eye as she beamed up at him, he decided to let it slide. One moment of happiness was worth a dozen of regret.
♠ ♠ ♠
I like this chapter. It makes me smile.
Thank you to all the comments and subscriptions! I'm almost at fifty, which is so surprising. I didn't realize that many people liked hockey on this site :P

I'm thinking of starting a Jordan Staal story once this one is finished. Would anyone be interested in reading it? Let me know!

(And keep commenting!)

Livia<3