Sequel: I Bet it Stung
Status: Completed

Take Me Anywhere

Chapter 08

"I think I just gained ten pounds," Mia announced as she waddled her way to her car. "I have no idea how I'll be able to do any skating."

"I'll help you," Sidney reassured her. "Nice car, by the way."

Mia glared at him, his sarcasm not going unnoticed. Her car was old, a silver Honda Civic from 1998, with a dented bumper in the front and long, rusted scratches lining the sides. "My baby and I have been through a lot. I'll have you know that I bought this car myself from working at Tim Horton's when I was nineteen."

"You weren't playing music when you were nineteen?" he asked curiously. "I would've figured that you would."

"Well," Mia explained, getting into the car as Sidney followed suit. "I worked at Tim's all throughout high school, playing small clubs and opening for other bands and stuff since I was fourteen. Then when I turned twenty-one, I got a big break working as a receptionist at a local radio station, and they played a few of my demo songs on the air. And the rest, I guess, is history."

"That's so cool," Sid grinned. "I can't imagine what it's like having to go out every night and sing and play guitar in front of thousands of people. Aren't you afraid you'll screw up?"

"Are you really asking me that question?" Mia asked in shock. "You're a professional hockey player. You play in front of more people than I do, guaranteed, and there's so much more pressure on you to perform. And you want to know if I get nervous?" She exhaled with a smile. "Wow."

"It's different though," Sid shrugged. "Your music connects with people on a level that sometimes hockey can't. Besides...I'm not the best singer."

She glanced over at him as she made the left turn into the rec centre's parking lot. "Well, if you teach me how to skate, maybe I'll teach you how to sing."

"Lost cause," he laughed. "But I appreciate the offer."

"You're about to see what a lost cause is," Mia told him, stepping out of the car. "I wasn't kidding when I said I couldn't skate."

The pair headed towards the doors of the rec centre and stopped by to rent a pair of skates. Sidney was surprised that people didn't fawn over Mia or make a big deal out of her like most people did back for him in Cole Harbour. She was just a regular person renting skates at a local skate shop in South Ajax.

Sidney had to help Mia lace up her skates, since she had deemed herself useless and nearly gave up after ten seconds. A few of the kids at the arena recognized him and asked for photos and autographs, which he was happy to do.

"Mia!" a small six year-old girl exclaimed, racing over to her and giving her a hug.

"Hey, Shannon!" Mia smiled down at her, kneeling so that she could see eye-to-eye with the tyke. "What are you doing here?"

"Skating," she said. "My mommy's here with me. She's going to teach me how to skate. Nate's here, too, wanna say hi?"

Mia bit her lip. "Oh...Nate's here?" The sound of insecurity in her voice made Sidney's ears perk up. "Well...maybe. We'll see, okay, sweetie?"

"Okay," Shannon agreed. "See you later!"

After the small crowd of people had cleared, Sidney walked over to her. "Who was that?"

"Shannon," Mia answered as they made their way to the skating rink. "I babysit her whenever I'm home. I've known her since she was born, and I've known her family since I was five."

Sidney nodded as he stepped out onto the ice with ease. Mia glared down at its reflective surface, as if it was threatening to swallow her whole. Sid held out a hand for her and she gladly took it, the other hand clinging desperately to the boards so she wouldn't fall.

Then Sidney asked a question that caught Mia off guard. "Who's Nate?"

Mia sighed lightly and scratched at the back of her head. "No one important." As she inched along the ice, she hit a bit of a rut and nearly fell to the ground. Sidney caught her just before she hit the ice and looked her straight in the eyes.

"It's okay, you know," he said quietly. "You can tell me."

She didn't really process how close their faces were until she heard someone skating up behind them and stopping obnoxiously, causing snow to spray across their legs.

"Hey, Mia!" a tall, well-built guy with shaggy blond hair and perfect smile grinned at her.

Mia nudged Sidney in the ribs, whispering, "That's Nate."
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment please!

When I get more comments, I get more motivation to update :)

Livia<3