Status: new.

too beautiful.

sax

She had short boyish dirty blonde hair. She looked young, whilst she was going to be 17 in 4 months. She was tall, but not a giraffe, standing at about 5'10", almost taller than all the boys at her school. Her eyes were a shade of pale green, and intruiged almost everyone that had a glance. She had a tan face, and freckles around her nose and cheeks, from countless summers in Cape Cod. She had many friends that would always gather around her during every break at school, there was never a moment where she wasn't surrounded by people. Her friends would constantly tug on her dresses and yell, "Elise! Elise! Do you like my outfit?" and other questions for approval.

She was walking through the school hallways one day, greeting good days to people as she passed. The teachers praised her on a job well done on tests and she would look down to them and say thank you. She always tried to keep her back straight and not end up with a hunch, as most tall people do, but it was hard to stay straight and maintain eye contact with the person she was talking to. As she walked forward through the white school hallways, she noticed the flock of people that were trailing behind her. It looked as if baby ducklings were following a mama duck. They rambled on about their weekends and talked about their problems to the other followers, while Elise wasn't really listening.

A red-headed girl came up to Elise, it was Jenny. The girl who had saved Elise from a freezing pond 8 years ago, the girl who pierced her ears, the girl who had told her everything, painted her toenails, and chopped off the 17 inches of her hair. They did everything together, they had ever since they were 8 years old.

It was Feburary, one of the coldest they have ever had in Portland, Maine. Elise approached a pond that was frozen over with a thin layer of ice. She weighed only 64 pounds, and she thought that the ice could hold such a small weight on top of it. She placed a patent black mary-jane onto the coldness, and let her weight fall onto that foot. Ice water rushed into her nose, her ears, her mouth, and her whole body felt as if it had been frozen into a block of ice. She couldn't move her body, and she felt herself sinking slowly. Elise opened her eyes for a moment, and at that moment she saw a small pale hand reaching into the water, reaching for her. Elise felt a tug on her hair, but didn't yelp in pain. This hand was trying to help her out of the dark, cold abyss. She was lifted out of the water and Elise erupted into a number of coughs. The person embraced her with warm freckled arms. She looked up at the girl who was holding her, she had red curly hair, blue eyes, and two buck teeth that nearly stuck out of her mouth. She helped Elise up and they ran to what Elise thought to be the girl's house.

Ever since that day, Elise had been eternally grateful, and would never neglect talking to Jenny as a friend, a dear, dear friend, who she could actually look eye to eye with without having to strain her neck downwards.

"Good morning, Elise." Jenny stated happily.

"Morning Jenny." Elise responded and they walked to their classes in silence, not wanting to talk in front of the crowd behind us that were nosily eavesdropping on what they had to say to each other.

"How come she never wishes us a good morning?"

"Yeah, she is only friendly to that girl."

"Maybe its her girlfriend. Have you seen how she cut her hair short all of a sudden? l-e-s-b-i-a-n"

Those were some of the comments Elise heard from her friends behind. She didn't nessisarily want to hear the rude and accusing comments that her 'friends' constantly fired. They were gossiping machines and every moment, if they saw something suspicious they would make up a rumour about the person that would be so far from the truth, people would laugh. Nevertheless, still believe the lie.

Elise arrived to science with Ms. Smith, greeted with a smile and a hello. Ms. Smith hated every human being in existence, with one exception being Elise. Her husband left her in 1999, and she still hasn't gotten over it. She tried to make a point to her husband by changing her name to, Ms. Smith, dropping the Mrs. but he never even called her to question the doing. He cheated on her ever since they got married, and that lead Ms. Smith to believe that every man in the entire earth has no love, and every woman is as naive as her. She liked Elise because of her hair, the shortness of it implied a feminist statement.

The chairs in the classroom were almost all occupied as the kids waited with their notebooks open, ready for class to start. As Elise walked by some of the desks she noticed some of the students point towards an empty seat beside them, but Elise ignored their attempts to make friends with a popular girl. She sat in the back, not wanting to disrupt anyones view of the teacher. She sat beside a boy, who's name she did not know. But she knew his sweatshirt, the black one with gray stripes, and the bright green hood. She saw that jacket running across the pavement and in front of the school countless times, running to the school theatre on the south side where he played his saxaphone for hours on end.

The only times she heard him speak was when he was answering a question for their AP Biology class, which they had right now. He had round harry-potter esque glasses that blocked his royal blue eyes from being seen by the world. His dark, dark brown slightly wavy hair covered his forehead, in which he always had to shake the strands from blocking his vision. Elise had a talent to guess people's heights. The talent came from countless days on end observing people and trying to desipher a height difference between her and average sized girl. She thought him to be about 5'6", with a fairly skinny build.

Julian glanced to the side and saw that Elise Shurman was sitting next to him. He was surprised, but not happy or excited. He was neutral, as he always was. He was invisible, as he always was. As the teacher called his name out several times because she could not notice he was there, and when people would bump into him in the hallways because they, "Didn't see him there." It wasn't particularly vexing, but some days it would make him feel like dying, curling up in a deep dark trench over at Memorial Cemetary, and laying there until he rotted into the soil.

...Of course he would never do that, never, he was too proud, to die because of pitiful high school kids that would occasionally bump into him, or pathetic middle aged teachers that forgot his name. They probably had some amesia anyway that prevented them from seeing potential, and success in people that definately had that in their future.

Julian was going to become a world famous saxaphone player. He would play in front of the president, in front of the queen of england, and in front of Angelina Jolie. People say the beauty, and rich sound of a saxaphone is weird or at least the douchebag football players that have no appriciateion for music. He could sometimes hear them in the locker room talking about the sound of the saxaphone coming from the school theatre, and the disgusting sounds it made.

That was what made Julian's stomach wrench.

He realized he was still looking in the direction of Elise. He noticed her green plaid dress, her grey cardigan, and black oxfords with white socks. She looked as if she came from the 1800's, yet she didn't look old fashioned. If that makes sense.

Elise tapped her pencil on the wooden desk, she saw drawings of stick figures, dinosaurs, and dogs all scattered around the hard surface. She had never sat in the back of the class before, so she had never seen any drawings. The seats in the front were always spotless, never sticky, and ready to learn. Elise was definately a nerd in disguise. Soon she dropped the pencil and started to play piano on her desk, she imagined the sound of the keys and pictured the keys on the desk. She began to play for minutes, but then picked up her hands and came up with a briliant idea. Elise seized the pencil that nearly falling towards the aisle on the left and started to draw piano keys along the edge of the school desk. All the sharps and all the white keys were soon all in perfect order, all 88 of them. Then the horrendous sound of the bell came rushing through the schools hallways. Students fumbled to get books into their bags, and they rushed out of Ms. Smith's class as soon as they could. She offered for kids to stay for help, none of them did. The piano keys looked longingly up at her, but Elise had to depart with them, or they might be erased. She dashed out of the classroom before the teacher, or janitor could be suspicous. No one cleans the desks in the back anyway.

Julian watched as Elise scurried out of the classroom. While he was gathering his things together in his dark grey backpack, he glanced down at her desk, saw she left her car keys on the seat. He picked them up and as he leaned down to get them, he saw a million little lines and spaces on the edge of the wooden desk. It seemed to be piano keys. He was surprised at this, for he didn't know Elise liked the piano. He picked up his backpack that must've weighed 10 pounds and walked out of the school at the same pace he always walked---except for when he was running to music class.

He saw Elise in front of her perfectly washed sliver car digging through her back, probably trying to find her keys. Her short hair was windswept, and her freckled cheeks were a tad flustered.

"You left your keys in your seat." Julian said, handing the keys to her. Attached to the keys was a little stuffed bear, he noticed. The bear was sort of cute as it hung there in the midst of the air, as Elise reached out her hand to accept her keys.

"Ah, thank you." Elise responded very sincerely, "I would've been looking through my purse for hours. It's like a black hole in there." She said softly, and in a deeper voice than she usually talked in. Julian--somehow-- noticed.

"I've got to get going, my mom's not going to be to pleased to find out that almost lost my keys, so I've got to come up with a better explination." Elise said exasperated, losing hope in her own ablities to lie. Although, she never had any abilities in the first place. The only time she had ever lied was when her old friend, Elayne, made her steal a pack of gum from 7-Eleven. Even then her parents caught her in the midst of the act and made her go return the gum.

"Bye." Julian said detached. Elise stepped into her car and drove off in an instant and he began running to the school theatre. On the way he stopped by his locker to grab his lovely sax, and continued to run like the wind to his class. The teacher wouldn't be so mad that he was late, although, Julian had never been late to class before, so how would he know.

He opened the doors to the theatre, and the violin's halted, the clarinets silenced, and Mr. Briggs, the conducter looked at Julian. Then he swiftly turned back around. Julian quietly took out his sax, and took his seat in 1st chair sax. Nail biting, eye wandering, Mr. Briggs never could focus on his conducting. He would always stare off at a distant piece of art hanging, or look down at his perfectly polished shoes. Luckily, the members of the orchestra knew the music well enough that they didn't need to have a conducter, this was the only song they knew to be frank. It was pathetic. He hated the saxephone. His old hag of a mother forced him to play the wretched instrument that produced no type of appealing sound. He wished to go on a date with Elise, he knew she was willing. Sometimes Julian could read minds, in a very mild force of course. He had a feeling she liked him, it was a strong feeling too.

"Bye, motherfuckers." Julian mouthed, then he grabbed his saxaphone and ran out the door as quick as he could. He had a feeling, and he wouldn't let this oppourtunity pass.

"Julian, where do you think you're going?!" the conductor yelled in his funny british accent. Julian kept running, flipped the conductor off, but kept running nevertheless. His sax was heavy, without a case at least and the sweat that gathered on his hands was making it harder to hold. He was in the parking lot now, but he couldn't see Elise. Then he did. She was leaning against a tree looking down at her feet.

"Julian what are you doing here?" She said, her voice nearly cracking. She didn't lift her head up from its position, looking at her shoes.

"Ditched orchestra. Fuckin hate it." Yet another lie. Then he saw that she was crying, "Why are you crying?" Maybe that's why he ditched, he felt something was wrong. Sometimes he freaked himself out so much the unintentional telepathy and whatnot.

Elise looked at Julian standing right next to her, and wondered what he was doing here. She never cried infront of people, not even her parents. All the anger, sadness and lonely cries came out when she was alone in her car. The tears ceased when she noticed Julian staring intently at her weeping eyes.

"Sorry." She muttered through her chattering lips.

"Shh...shhh," Julian said and pulled Elise into a hug, "It's all right." When they were hugging her body stiffened, and Julian didn't know why. He just assumed it was disgusting for her to hug him. Too abnormal. Who would've thought that they would be hugging right now, after school alone. It was too odd and she wouldn't tell her popular friends. He would just be the mistake...Wait why was he thinking about this again? It's not like they were out on a date or anything...nothing that serious.

"My mom had to sell my piano, I loved it to death, yet she didn't even care." She had just gotten a call from her mother, her calm mother who never gave a damn about Elise at all.

"There's a school piano right in the music room, would you show me what you can play? I'll show you how I can play the sax." She looked up from his now damp shoulder and nodded her head. Then she grabbed Julians rough hand and they ran towards the music room, both smiling unknowningly of the others actions.

All Julian could think in his head was I'm so fucking glad I ditched orchestra. Fucking happy. So fucking happy. So. Fucking. Happy..