Status: Hiatus

Last Summer

Prologue

Heavy rain beat against the flat, corrugated iron roof of the garage, late one Tuesday afternoon. An old radio sat perched on a tall, rusty metal tool container, sending tunes of the 60’s and 70’s floating through the concrete room. The roller door was wide open, letting the moisture falling from the sky form into a large puddle in the building. In the middle of the workshop a beat-up 1982 Holden Commodore was being supported on a hoist, lifting a few extra inches off the ground.

Underneath the vehicle, Leah Wilds lay on a trolley, covered in grease and clutching a spanner as she got to work on the car. Now, Leah wasn’t your typical 18 year-old; she didn’t enjoy dresses or anything to do with feminine fashion, nor did she participate in painting her nails with friends. Mechanics was definitely her forte as it had been ever since she could walk. Her father owned the auto-repairs garage she took employment at every-day after school.

It paid good money, and the young men she worked with treated her just the same as themselves, as she had requested. Leah wasn’t a straight-A student, but her marks were good, and she strived to keep them that way as that had been the deal with her dad; keep your marks at school at a higher level and you can work here.

To be honest, fixing up cars whilst getting covered in grime and sweat were distractions that Leah desperately needed. There were things going on in her outside world that were holding her down.

A large chunk of metal came off into Leah’s hand as she finally removed the muffler. The Holden has been in an accident where the whole underneath of the chassis had been torn off. When the car had arrived, Leah jumped at the chance to repair it on her own to show that she could be independent and reliable.

Wiping the dirt off onto the material of her overalls, Leah pressed her feet against the floor and slid along a few centimetres. She did not get far as a loud ‘bang’ and then a male voice explaining an expletive cut her short. Leah’s reflexes erupted causing the top half of her body to thrust up.

It started with a bump on the head.
♠ ♠ ♠
So...what do you think?