Status: Hiatus

Last Summer

Chapter Four

As usual the next morning, Joe leapt from his bed and ambled out to the kitchen for a healthy breakfast prepared by his grandmother. It was simple cereal this time, no fresh pancakes or fruit. Joe couldn’t understand why things were so different this time. That is, until he took a quick glance out the window.

It was raining heavily, the water droplets from the sky cascading over the gutters of the veranda. Papa and Nana Jonas’ coondog Cameron lay on the door mat, one eyelid open to eye Joe suspiciously. The sky was black with dark clouds littered across it. Back home in Los Angeles, life continued on normally if there was strange weather. Out here in Alabama, people’s personalities changed when there was lightning. It would take Joe some time to get used to.

Sitting by the television was Nana Jonas, watching the news intently. Papa Jonas was nowhere to be seen. Joe assumed he was still in bed, but when he heard a loud crash coming from outside, he was proved wrong.

Grandpa thrust open the sliding door and Cameron leapt in front of him, settling quickly by Nana’s feet. Grandpa was shaking his head and muttering incoherent sentences.

“There’s no way you’re going to Leah’s today.” Nana scolded as Joe rose from the dining room chair. “This storm is going to hit anytime soon, and we need to stay inside.”

Joe opened his mouth to retaliate but was instantly quietened by the glare of his grandfather. It was known to the family not to mess with Margaret Jonas unless you wanted your mouth washed out with soap. With a heavy sigh, Joe retreated to the guest room he was staying in for the summer. He sunk into the comfortable mattress, picked up the TV remote and was faced with a flickering NBC. Great. Not only was there no cable, the wind howling outside was battering the aerial about on the roof.

The only good thing about staying in Evergreen was Leah, and because of the stupid, completely safe storm, Joe was bored out of his mind. He wanted to talk to his new friend, ask her about her tattoo, and see how her life was going in general. Joe hoped she still wasn’t angry at him for teasing the roses she had received. If she still held a grudge, he planned to make everything better.

The storm worsened hastily and the tree outside Joe’s window looked as if it were going to crash any minute. It was nearing 11 o’clock and the day was wasting. He could hear the radio blaring from the kitchen. His grandparents were listening to old 60’s music and it reminded him of Leah. Maybe she was listening to the same station.

[xxx]

Leah ducked under a low branch of a tree as she ran along the sidewalk. She knew she was absolutely out of her mind for going outdoors in this crazy weather, but she needed to tell Joe that they had to go into Mobile to pick up a part for his car. She could have gone by herself, but Joe made days fun, even if he did have a tendency to break things.

Leah could see the light on in the living room of the Jonas house. She sprinted up the stairs two at a time and rang the doorbell frantically. Nana Jonas let her into the house immediately, ushering Leah to the bathroom so she could have a warm fluffy towel wrapped around her shivering body.

“What’s going on?” Joe called out, racing up the hallway.

Leah grinned up into the mirror, giving Joe the shock of his life. “Hey.”

Nana gazed backwards and forwards between the two teenagers, shook her head and let them be. Leah sat down on the edge of the bath, her teeth chattering, whilst Joe leant against the door frame, pulling on his curls. “Are you crazy? You could’ve gotten yourself killed!” he snapped.

Leah just continued to smile cheekily. “Risks are all part of life, right?” she giggled. Though quite angry with Leah for putting herself in danger, Joe couldn’t help but chuckle at her enthusiasm. Leah held her arms around herself to prevent her shaking. Her clothes were completely soaked, her white t-shirt clinging to her skin.

“Come on, let’s you nice and dry.” Joe sighed, offering his hand to help Leah off the lip of the bath.

[xxx]

Snug in a pair of Joe’s sweatpants and a long sleeved Dodgers t-shirt, Leah settled into the cozy blankets in the spare bedroom. Her summer friend sat by her side, scribbling frantically in his notebook. Good Morning America quivered on the screen as claps of powerful thunder continued on.

Cuddling the body pillow, she glanced over at Joe. He was hunched over the paper, the pencil gripped tightly between the fingers of his right hand. The outline of what looked to be a the top half of a female body was rapidly appearing.

She continued to study his face. His tongue was poking out between his lips as a sign of serious concentration. A lock of his curls was resting on top of his forehead, moving up and down as Joe scrunched up his face and frowned. He has long eye lashes, she mused to herself. Joe suddenly looked up and they fastened their gaze for a few seconds before Leah turned away in embarrassment.

“Can I have a look please?” Leah requested quietly, reaching over to grab pad. Joe yanked it away protectively, shaking his head. “Why can’t I look?”

Joe sighed, stuffing his drawings under the mattress. “When we finish the car, I’ll let you have a look, deal?”

Leah started to laugh, clutching her sides. He took this opportunity to tickle her, digging his long fingers into her ribs. “Ah! Joe, stop! No, that tickles!” Tears streamed down her smooth skin, landing on Joe’s hands as he held himself above.

“What are you laughing at?” Joe teased. “Don’t you like my deal?” He climbed off her, pulling his tank top down as it had risen up revealing toned flesh. Leah had most definitely noticed it.

“Sorry, I don’t mean to offend you, but I’ve been doing most of the work on the car. I mean, you’ve sort of helped, but not really.”

Joe shrugged, understanding her words. “I pwomise I’ll try harder to be bwetter.” he pouted.

Leah pinched his cheek jokingly and nodded.

“Okay, baby.” Leah joked, not fully comprehend what her words were saying.

Typical Joe; he took her partially seriously.

[xxx]

Meredith and Malcolm Jonas continued to sit in the lounge-room, listening intently to the radio. Meredith had become distracted by her grandson’s persistent laughing. She gazed her at her husband lovingly, hoping the two people from the young generation in her house found that passion themselves.

[xxx]

Leah tore down the highway in her Suzuki Swift. They were finally heading into town after the vicious lightning had stopped. Joe watched her subtly as she tapped her fingers on the steering wheel to the beat of the song playing through the speakers.

“Do you listen to any modern music?” Joe asked, turning the volume down so he could hear himself speak.

“Not much. I just prefer the old stuff best.” she replied, winding the window down to let some fresh air in. There was a calm breeze sweeping across the suburb, swaying trees to and fro, and easing the tension created by the violent thunder storm.

“Why are you so happy all of the sudden?” Joe quizzed with a chuckle.

Leah beamed, “I’ll tell you when we finish your car, deal?” A gigantic smile played on her lips. It was just so fun getting Joe worked up, just because he had the funniest way of retaliating.

Joe gasped playfully, folded his arms and ejected the CD from the player. He held this disc out of the open window, waving it around.

“Don’t you dare, Joe!” Leah panicked, glancing away from the road for a split second. “That’s the mixed CD Drew gave me!”

At the mention of the boy Leah liked, Joe immediately snapped the disc in half and threw it onto the back seat.

“What did you do that for?!” she exclaimed, narrowing her eyes as the grip her hands had on the steering wheel tightened.

“I can make a much better one. I’ll have every singles 1960’s song that was ever made.”

Leah softened as his suggestion. It was impossible to do such a thing but it was the thought that counts.

“Fine, but it needs to be made pretty darn soon cause the radio in this isn’t working. I haven’t got around to fixing it yet.”

Leah was so perfect. Joe loved the way her passion was cars and nothing else. Joe loved the way she could be much of a tomboy but still have that beautiful feminine side to her. Joe loved the way she promised to fix the wheel on his bike after he buckled it when they crashed.

“But anyway, the reason why I’m chirpy is because yesterday my cousin rang and they’re coming down from Canada in a few days.” Leah took the exit and headed along the main road, approaching the city.

“Is your cousin hot?” Joe blurted, his cheeks red with embarrassment after he realised what he had said.

Leah snorted, “Well, Tara is 10, so I don’t think you’d want her, and her brother is definitely not gay, so, no, my cousin is not hot.” A giggle escaped Leah’s throat as she shook her head. Oh, Joe.

[xxx]

“I like this seat belt cover.” Joe commented, flashing the leopard print material at Leah.

She turned from reading the back of a bottle of Valvoline engine oil. “It is nice.” she nodded, selecting the right lubricant and bringing it to the counter of the spare parts place.

“I’m gonna get this for you.” Joe winked, sliding it next to the cash register. The employee that had been fiddling with something under the counter rose to serve their newest costumers and Leah’s jaw dropped.

“Drew.” she breathed. “I didn’t know you worked here.”

Joe’s jaw clenched.
♠ ♠ ♠
Joe and Leah's relationship is developing. She must like him if she's willing to run to his house during a storm. There will be conflict between Drew and Joe very soon. Apologies for the long wait and I hope you enjoyed the update. XD