The Best Is Yet to Come

Chapter Fourteen

“Awesome,” Tash breathed as she dipped her head around to get a better look at the crowd.

“I know right?” I laughed when Kendra almost toppled over in surprise as she leant around Tash.

“This is officially insane.” Kendra’s mouth fell open as she managed to regain her balance without taking her eyes off the crowd.

“This is just… no fucking way.” The new voice made me jump.

I tore my eyes away from the stage to look up at whoever it was - Tom.

“Barnes, aren’t you supposed to be taking photos?”

“Nahh,” he shrugged and leant around me to get a better look at the stage.

“Aren’t you meant to be more supportive of your brother?” Tash asked dubiously. Tom shrugged again but didn’t say anything.

“You’re not even back here for them are you?” I asked with a laugh. Tom’s eyes flashed to my face and then back to the boys again. Guilty. I rolled my eyes. A load of the boy’s friends and family had tagged along this time. Despite their best efforts to show their support for the boys, they were really here for the headliners, and defiantly taking advantage of the backstage privileges. Everyone was excited about Paramore.

Paramore had contacted them a few weeks ago and asked them to support their show in Colchester Arts Centre. The band had been more than eager to do it.

“Thought not,” I snorted at Tom and turned my attention back to the stage just as they finished playing ‘Moby Dick Ain’t Got Shit On Me’. It wasn’t one of my favourites but the crowd were enthusiastic enough.

The growing familiar sounds of ‘The Rumour’ filled the room and my face lit up.

“This is a good one,” Tom commented with an approving nod. “Fair do’s.”

We were then removed from the backstage area because the band was finishing up. Kendra, Tash and I went to the dressing room where Elissa and Erin were sat talking. Tom vanished to the main hall to see the end of the set.

“Kendra,” someone sang from behind us and they wrapped their sweaty arms around her. She squealed and smacked her arms against him to let her free.

“Zac, that’s disgusting!” she yelped and jumped away from him. The well built blonde ruffled his dripping hair with a wink.

“It’s mental out there,” Jonzey, Max’s buff brunette mate, commented with a gruff laugh. David Sampson, from my year and school, stood behind them with Daz Williams bringing up the rear. Daz reminded me of Max slightly, he was more or less the same height but the only one to have short bleach blonde hair. Like the band, their mates had similar longish styles.

Jonzey bounced down onto the sofa next to Erin who recoiled away from him. He put his arm subconsciously around the back of the chair and she wrinkled her nose. Elissa laughed.

“You guys coming out to see Paramore?” Zac asked and messed up Kendra’s hair. She slapped his arm away with a growl.

“Yeah, in a minute.” Tash jumped up onto and sat on the table in the dressing room.

“Shouldn’t they be getting ready to come on?” Jonzey asked curiously as Daz stuck his head out of the door to look up and down the corridor.

“They’re in their dressing room dickhead.” Erin jumped up from her seat.

“They’ll probably come see the band in a minute,” I reassured and went over to join Tash on the table. The room went silent and we could hear the rounds of applause, the random drumming and Josh’s departing words.

“I’m not being funny, but this dressing room is tiny,” Kendra’s nose stuck up slightly as she squeezed herself between Erin and Jonzey. The door bounced off the wall as Max kicked through it with such force, vibrating with energy. The rest of the guys followed through noisily and dripping in sweat.

Chris bounced into David but both caught themselves on the wall.

“Oi!” Matt shouted when he banged into the back of Josh who’d stopped suddenly.

“This is our dressing room, get the fuck out!” Max roared and lay down on Elissa, Jonzey and Kendra.

“Nahh, we’re alright,” Tash called gleefully across the room, her teeth grazed her lower lip in a playful smirk. Josh and Dan both glanced at her with similar smiles.

“Oh boys, we need to clear some of the stuff off the stage for Paramore,” Dan announced and tugged on Max’s foot. Josh ripped his loose trainer from his foot and dashed out of the door. Max jumped to his feet instantly and sprang after Josh. He fell into the wall in his haste but bolted down the corridor.

“Bastard!” His voice carried down the narrow hall. We all burst into laughter and Matt ran out to go and help either Josh or Max. I guessed Josh. Dan shook his head laughing and indicated at Chris to come and help him. David left with them as the other band members were unavailable.

“Still so childish,” I muttered under my breath. Tash caught my words and turned to smile at me.

“They’re boys,” she said as if her answer explained everything.

“Sure?” Kendra asked with a smirk before getting up. They guys returned, Max hopping whilst he shoved his shoe back onto his foot, but past us by to go and help Paramore’s crew to take off their equipment.

“How long have you known them?” Tash asked curiously as every split off to either find Paramore, help the guys or get into the main hall.

“Umm… I’ve know Dan a few weeks now, Matt and Chris about a year and a half, Matt since year seven and Josh since primary.”

“Wow.” Tash laughed, bit her lip and leant closer to me. “Any… history with any of them?”

I involuntarily snorted. Tash’s eyebrows dipped in confusion. I rolled my eyes.

“I’m not like that with any of them, never have been,” I said simply.

“But they’re so… sweet and talented and… fit!” She put a lot of emphasis in the last word. I laughed at her reaction before shrugging.

“Guess I must have a lot of self control then.”

She laughed through her nose with a small ‘hmph’ before turning away thoughtfully.

Finally everyone got a chance to meet Paramore before they went on stage. I watched, remained seated on the table, whilst the guys flirted hopelessly with Hayley and the girls drooled over the rest of the band. I shook my head laughing silently when Max’s face lit up when returned with the band.

That gig was the final turning point for them.

It turned out Kerrang! had been at the gig and the reported had really liked the boys. There was a feature on them in the magazine and since then things picked up massively. Every single family member, every single friend of theirs had a copy of the magazine – it was truly breath taking. Their MySpace went berserk. They had hundreds of emails from fans either commenting on how much they loved their music or requesting shows, reporters trying to get in on the action and bands looking for support. I couldn’t believe it.

One thing I was grateful for was that it didn’t seem to be changing them – at least, not yet, although, they did get a lot more of attention in school and around town. Girls, girls, girls. I did my best not to let it get the best of me but it was hard.

It was nice to have Tash and Kendra who were more understanding.

“Did we make this public?” Tash whispered to my right as I diverted my gaze to the roaring fire.

“Nope,” I muttered and pursed my lips. Over half our year was here. It was just meant to be a small get together on top of the hill that over looked the small town. Apparently, word had gotten out. It wouldn’t last long, the police would be called soon enough and everyone would be forced to get home. Despite knowing this, we were all drinking rather heavily.

I was rather wallowing in silent anger with a cold can pressed against my palm. I knew I’d had to much because I wasn’t thinking straight.

“Fucking hell, this is fucking shit,” Kendra sneered as two people from my year passed by. “What’d all the babies think they’re doing here?”

“Watch it, baby present here.” I raised my can to the sky without looking at her. “And Sampson and Franceschi were invited.”

“Oh you know what I mean,” Kendra dismissed in a slur. My eyes lifted from the fire we’d poorly constructed and glanced around the hillside radiating noise. Music blasted from somewhere behind me while laughing and talking came from all around. It was like flies buzzing around my aching head. My eyes adjusted to the dark night after glaring into the bright fire and I caught sight of Matt opposite us. His arm was draped around a black haired girl looking very pale in the orange light. Their heads were close together, almost touching, and they were talking in hush voices.

Course, my boys were trying to score. Why couldn’t I? I wanted someone to hold me like that. My drunken thoughts blurred into one as Max sat down next to Kendra.

“Hello baby,” he said enthusiastically and kissed her temple. Kendra recoiled with a laugh and wiped her head. “When are we going to get it together?”

“Oh, we’re too cool Max,” Kendra replied simply but couldn’t stop giggling. It was a different giggle – it was sweet and genuine. Kendra liked Max. I turned to look at Tash with wide eyes but she wasn’t looking at me. I turned back to Max who refused to take his eyes off the blonde falling for these pathetic flirtatious attempts.

Everyone was getting something. I got up off the ground where we were sitting, downed the remains of my drink and dropped it next to Kendra. One I wanted to give Max and Kendra some privacy to progress but I also wanted to go and find someone for myself.

Alcohol had taken my small depression of being alone and was now driving me to search for something to stop the accentuated ache. Things weren’t straight when I walked. The ground wasn’t right as I put one foot in front of the other.

I glanced around the scene lit by the fire. Happy faces were all around me. Most of them I knew and hated. I could see my familiar friends and acquaintances all busy in small groups. I saw more unfamiliar faces that weren’t what I was searching for, although, maybe a stranger was what I needed.

Someone’s hand closed around my arm and I jerked away in shock. My sudden, drunken movement had me falling sideward’s but they caught me. I blinked before I looked up at them.

“Dan,” I said before smiling. He was watching me carefully.

“You alright?” he asked.

“Yeaaaaah.” Even I knew how drunk I sounded.

“Jasey, I think you should slow down just a bit, be careful,” he warned and slowly took my other arm to hold me up right properly.

“I’m fine,” I assured with a wide grin. He looked at me dubiously. “Honestly.”

He sighed.

“Where is everyone?” I looked around at the busy hillside. I hadn’t seen much of David, Daz, Jonzey or Zac. I hadn’t seen Chris or Josh all evening. Matt was still sat by the fire. Tash had moved from her spot next to Max and Kendra. My eyes lingered on the pair for a moment. They were now really close, not taking their eyes off each other, still grinning widely. My intoxicated brain then made me realise something I would never admit. I wanted a friend.

My eyes glanced over Dan as if for confirmation but he wasn’t it. He hadn’t answered my question, he must have shrugged but I’d missed it, or couldn’t remember it.

“I’ll see you around, I’ve got to-” I didn’t finish as I slipped my arm from under his hand. He let me go but I could feel his eyes on me as I carried on my now more defined search. I came across Jonzey. He was pretty drunk, he had this unfocused look about his eyes and his smile, no matter how gorgeous, was sloppy.

“Jasey,” he cried when he spotted me.

“Alright?” I asked. I assessed him carefully, but my brain was telling me he wasn’t the friend I wanted either.

“Yeah, not bad, haven’t seen you much this evening, where you been hiding?”

“Sitting with the fire. Sitting by the fire,” I corrected quickly and frowned.

“Thought you would have been with Franceschi and Miller.”

Franceschi. Franceschi. Franceschi.

The name rolled over and over in my head as if my brain was trying to process it. The name sounded good. It was soothing in my head. It numbed the ache the alcohol was causing. It was the correct name. It was the name I was after.

“S’cuse me,” I muttered and pushed past Jonzey without another word.

Normally, soberly, I wouldn’t be doing this. I wouldn’t be hunting down Joshua Franceschi to get off with. Soberly, I would never admit he was the only person I wanted. I wanted badly. Confused thoughts drove me forward into something I knew I would regret later on. Right now, I didn’t give a fuck.

Alcohol had sifted through my sub consciousness and was doing something about it.

I searched through face after face, getting some weird looks in the process but I couldn’t find him.

I hurried back to the circle around the fire and tugged irritably on Matt’s arm. Max was too far gone to interrupt. Finally, Kendra and him had kissed.

“What?” Matt snapped before realising it was me. “Oh, Jasey, what’s up?”

“Where’s Josh?” I asked bluntly whilst rubbing my forehead.

“I don’t know I’m not his baby sitter.” And he turned away from me.

Hmph.

“He went over there.”

I whirled around face David who was indicating over my shoulder.

“Oh,” I said and turned to look where he was pointing. I snatched up a torch from the ground. “Thanks.”

“S’ok, hey I wanted to talk to y-”

“Sorry Dave, can I wait? I really need to see Josh.” I flashed him an apologetic smile before half running in the direction he’d pointed.

I couldn’t believe what I was doing. I was craving Franceschi’s lips on me. I wanted to kiss him so badly. Had I always wanted this…?

Yes. Yes, I told myself over and over again. I took a deep breath and I steadied myself to drop down the side of the hill.

It was dark here because there was no light so I had to wait for my eyes to adjust. Finally I could see the grass in front of my own feet and I carried on down the slant. There was someone to my right. I remembered the torch in my hand and pressed down on the button.

The feminine giggle winded badly me before the beam even fell on them. The air left my lungs and my stomach dropped and twisted and contorted. In the dim beam from the torch, Josh and Tash were pressed together, their lips locked.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know this one's shorter, but I loved the cliff hanger!