The Best Is Yet to Come

Chapter Twenty

It was a horrible last few days to the week. I had to admit I felt like pure shit when I got back the next day. I just escaped up the stairs, crawled under my duvet and hid there all day. I should have said goodbye. The unsatisfied longing I felt to go back and fix things hurt me. It was like this giant weight on my body and it wouldn’t go away - it just made me feel more shit.

I avoided my computer knowing that it’d be filled with emails from MySpace about people willing to rent their houses out to the band. That was something that I could not face. The day after my big moping session, Emily and Summer came around to check on me. We stayed in my room, watched a load of gory slasher films to take my mind off relationships. I mean, if there was anything romantic in the film it was soon to be stopped by the axe waving maniac right? Oh and we ate an unhealthy amount of chocolate. My mum said the two could stay over – she took a strange fondness to the two girls.

“So which one do you like?” I asked as I chewed on a gummy bear.

“What one?” Summer asked, her mouth full of Maltersers.

“She means the boys,” Emily replied as if Summer was stupid.

“Ohhh,” Summer said slowly before giggling. “We’re complex individuals.”

“True,” Emily added with a shrug.

“Okay then… there has to be one you think is… fit?” I was keen for some girly gossip to escape.

The two looked at each other.

“We have a very fortunate good looking bunch of friends,” Emily giggled.

“True,” I agreed. We seriously did. All the girls were stunning and all the boys were gorgeous! The best part was they weren’t fully grown yet so the beauty was yet to improve. We were some lucky people.

“But they’re just friends, nothing more,” Summer said ruefully. “Five spectacularly handsome band members and extremely fit male friends and we can’t have any cause they’re either taken or things will end badly.”

“We don’t do friends,” Emily said for my benefit because I didn’t understand what Summer said.

“What? So you think Josh and I…?”

“Well no, you two are different, you don’t seem to be a fling, and you’re best mates anyway,” Summer reassured. I smiled tentatively at their responses and sunk down into the pile of pillows. God, I hoped we didn’t crash and burn. Things like this had stopped me going for Josh in the first place – I couldn’t lose him. So why was I being a stupid jealous bitch? I had to be better than this.

I survived the next alone and I felt much until Josh wouldn’t answer my calls. I understood he had another show tonight. I deluded myself with sensible reasoning’s but I was too insecure to believe them - his mobile was probably in the van or dead because he would have been too stupid to pack a charger.

My organisational disorder finally took over me and I flung myself at the computer and my emails whilst blasting music from my speakers. There were a load of MySpace updates – comments, friend requests and messages. I made a note to have the boys reply when they got home. The messages weren’t as bad as I expected. There were a few girls flinging themselves desperately at the guys but some of the fans genuinely seemed cool, collected and nice.

I sent an email to all the guys to tell them to check MySpace and reply to some of the stuff. When I clicked on the site for my new college, shuffle on my iTunes decided to stick a familiar favourite on.

I closed down the browser to stare at the player –

‘Noises’
‘You Me At Six’

And then the Album name scrolled into view –

‘We Know What It Means To Be Alone’

I smiled to myself and let the comforting voice wash over me. I loved Josh’s voice in this one. I loved the melody. It was awesome live. The song evoked a load of memories, many painful but some good. Things were much better now.

“Lets take this to the bedroom so I can undress you,
Ask you are you ready, aren’t you ready, am I?”

We’d definitely come on so much since then. I know Josh told me this was a filler but it just felt like it meant so much more. Had he really wanted me back then?

“Even if it hurts you, even if it breaks me,
We wont let this friendship sink.”

Yes. He’d wanted me as much as I’d wanted him – I just didn’t know it then. Alex was my life then and Nia had came along.

“Where do you get off you left me shaking,
Well here I am out of the way,
Hold his hand, and make me hate.”

Tears actually swam in my eyes as my heart started thudding erratically. He’d loved me even then, even when I’d ripped him apart by being with Alex. I remembered how I’d felt when I’d seen him with Nia, when I hadn’t even known I’d loved him, and it must have hurt him like Hell.

“How can you trust him to fit the shape of everything.
Everything looks so good, good from here, good to me.”

I was a fool. I could not wait for the next day to see him and apologise. I skipped to the next song before I broke down in completely. How could one boy have so much impact on my life?

***

“I’m waiting for a phone call.” I told Erin, unable to take my eyes off her freshly dyed vibrant purple hair.

“You’re just going to sit here all day by the phone?” Erin asked and ran her fingers through her hair, teasing the pixie cut.

“I can’t believe I helped you dye it that colour,” I muttered and folded my arms.

“Bite me,” she replied sweetly.

“But you need to get out, this isn’t healthy. I don’t like what these boys are doing to you.” She actually looked concerned.

“Bite me,” I imitated her just as sweetly before sighing – completely exhausted.

“You really do need to get a grip, I think you’re starting to lose it,” she whispered, leaning on the kitchen table.

“Tell me about it,” I mumbled and ran a hand over my face before letting it fall onto the table. “I think I need help.”

“You’re just stressed about tomorrow,” my mother interrupted as he hurried into the kitchen, two mugs in her hands.

“Great thanks for reminding me,” I moaned sarcastically and put my head on the cool surface.

“Go with your sister shopping before the shops shut and then get back here and have an early night,” my mother told me – it wasn’t a suggestion, it was an order.

Erin yanked me to my feet and sent me to my room to change.

Fresh air helped me a bit - it helped clear my clogged up and confused mind. Facing the world helped me gain a better grasp on reality outside my little band bubble.

“I thought Emily and Summer were helping you,” Erin asked as we passed Topshop.

“They did, I felt great when they came over – everything was clearer. It’s when I’m alone I start to question my existence.” I laughed. Erin paused.

“You’re not suicidal or anything?” she asked carefully, her not-so-purple- eyebrows dipped together.

“No,” I sighed. “I can’t explain it. I just feel stressed about everything. I left my long term best friend now boyfriend without saying a word of goodbye and now he won’t reply my calls because either he hates my stupid jealous guts or forgot his stupid charger! I’m starting a brand new school tomorrow not knowing anyone but that said boyfriend who is getting loads of flirtatious female attention and is sleeping in their houses every night! I’m a bad girlfriend I know.”

Erin assessed me for a moment. I couldn’t read anything in her expression but pity.

“You’re not a bad girlfriend,” she said quietly and nudged me towards the nearest Starbucks. “You’re behaving like anyone else would.”

“And Emily and Summer made the point that they’d never date any of their friends because things would become awkward if something went wrong.” There was no queue so we went straight to the front and ordered. I leant against the wall as we waited for our drinks.

“Well yeah, but remember they haven’t been friends with anyone in your group as long as you and Josh have,” Erin replied with a small shrug. “You’re mates through and through.”

“What if something happens to bad between me and Josh that I can’t stand to be near him any more and I lose all my friends?” I grabbed mine and Erin’s coffee and found a seat.

“Jase, how much of a rough patch have you two been through before?” Erin asked with a small smile. I stared down at frothy top to my cappuccino and swirled it. “Before you went out? And look you’re still together. I think it’s going to take a lot to rip your friendship apart.”

“We won’t let this friendship sink,” I muttered.

“What?”

“It’s from one of their songs, Josh wrote it about…” I paused to think. “How even though he hated me with Alex he didn’t want to lose me. I think.”

“See?” Erin looked a little smug as she sipped her coffee.

“It may hurt a little if something goes wrong, but you’ve got some good friends there Jase, you won’t lose them because of your relationship issues. You’re all mature enough.”

I smiled ruefully at that and sipped at the steaming drink. The liquid warmed me from the inside – it was magic, it made me feel better. I softened in the seat and my aching heart eased.

“I hope you’re right.”

“Besides, you’re not actually planning on breaking up with this kid yet are you?” Erin teased and I shook my head without humour. I refused to lose this boy.

“He’ll forgive you,” she said knowledgably. “He always does.”

That made me smile as the coffee worked it’s wonders on me.

“As for the attracting female fans. You have nothing on any of them and I know that he knows that,” she said softly. “He’d never try anything. He loves you too much. Plus what, they can’t have that many fans yet.”

“So what you’re saying is that it’s going to get worse? Thanks Erin you’re so supportive.” I finished the drink off in one and felt so much better despite her words – I was teasing and playing with her.

“Hey, I haven’t done bad so far! And believe me Jasey, he won’t do anything with those girls, Josh isn’t like that.”

I had to agree with her there.

***

“I thought retail therapy was supposed to help,” Erin grumbled and I tore my eyes away from my phone.

“Sorry,” I said and slipped it into my pocket – still no reply and it was eleven.

“You’re probably right about the charger and they’re probably just on their way back,” Erin reassured but I couldn’t believe her. “You’ll see him tomorrow anyways.”

“Suppose,” I mumbled and yawned, giving myself away.

“Bed,” my mother snapped from the other side of the room. I wanted to disagree but I was just too tired. I traipsed up the stairs, got ready for bed and I was out as soon as my head hit the pillow. I thought I heard a faint buzzing as I drifted off into the unknown…

***

I hated starting school again, especially waking up at the early hours. Grey skies clouded the brilliant September sunshine, reflecting my mood. The slowly fading green to orange leaves hung heavy on their branches, weighed down my lashings of water the rain had brought over night.

“Brilliant,” I growled as I stepped out of the front door and into the harsh wind. “Just what I need today.”

I swear my emotions controlled the weather.

I’d had a text this morning from Josh, at last, and it turned out he had forgotten his charger. The tiniest part of me felt slightly happy at this news – it showed how well I knew him. Although it was drowned out by the suffocating guilt I felt.

I trudged through the puddles in my new ballet pumps and instantly rued wearing them – fashion over comfort as usual. The hems of my jeans soon became soaked and my Hollister hoody did nothing against the cold wind.

“Want a lift?”

I’d just left the street and Erin had pulled up next to me. I frowned at her in confusion.

“Lately you’ve been really nice to me, you know that?” I asked as I jerked the door handle open.

“Well you have a lot of owed Hell coming your way then haven’t you?” Erin asked with a smile. “Hot topic wants me in for today’s shift.”

“That explains why you’re not oblivious to the world in the land of nod,” I commented and pulled the seatbelt over my shoulder.

Erin remained silent for the rest of the journey, she was only awake thanks to the wonders of caffeine (as was I). We pulled up outside my new college ten minutes early and the one person I wanted to see was standing, leaning against a wall, waiting for me with a massive grin on his face.

The hood of his ‘Drop Dead’ hoody, which was up thanks to the misting rain that had started, covered his hair straight hair which I noticed had been cut. He was leaning casually against the damp bricks of the wall outside the building, his black bag slung over one shoulder, and wearing the happiest expression I’d ever seen.

It took me several seconds for me to realise I was gaping like a moron. Only when he started to laugh did I unfreeze and climb out of the car without as much as a thanks to Erin. I heard her grumble something as I shut the door behind me. I yanked my own hood up, slung my purse over my shoulder and crossed the pavement to him.

His arms wrapped around my waist and mine around his shoulders the exact moment we could reach and he lifted me off the ground. I sighed into his wet shoulder. Seeing him lifted the giant weight on my chest that had been suffocating me. At least he was glad to see me.

“Hello you,” he whispered and set me back down on my feet. I could have squealed with happiness.

“Hi,” I said like a total moron that I was. People around us started to stare.

“How was your weekend?” he asked, entwining his fingers in mine as if nothing bad had happened at all and lead me towards Esher College building.

“Umm… uneventful, how’s life as a rock star?”

“Oh same old same old,” he chuckled and we walked through the door into the gorgeous dry.

“That a mamma Franceschi cut?” I teased when we he pulled down his hood. It wasn’t really much of a difference – just a bit shorter.

“Yes,” he said quickly like he wanted the topic to be over and done with. I didn’t press any further as we walked to our first class – Film Studies.

We’d passed our GCSE’s; admittedly I’d done better than Josh but still… I was taking English, Art, Business Studies alone and Film Studies with Josh, whilst he was going to study History and Politics. New people. Fresh start. It was great. The best part was it was just Josh and I.

We both really enjoyed Film Studies, although, since it was first lesson starting we spent most of the time catching up about the weekend. I got a long apology for not texting or calling me, a long description of the shows they’d done and the new people they’d met. Apparently, ‘Save It For The Bedroom’ was going down a treat with fans and they’d gotten a lot of positive feedback on the song. I gave my own long apology for acting like a jealous ass which he forgave instantly.

Esher College was lovely. It was a clean, modern building with good staff, excellent courses and surprisingly nice people. It felt so good to be treated more as an adult and be a bit more independent.

The one down side to being at college with no one but Josh meant that I was going to be left alone when he went to do more touring. Keeping this in mind - I tried to make friends as soon as possible.

I made friends with the girl in my Art class who I recognised from Film Studies earlier that morning. She was about my height with faded red hair and many piercings. I sat next to her and introduced myself because she was sitting alone too. She was funny and charming and a very talented artist. Her name was Fiona Moris and she was an aspiring director. I remembered to keep her in mind when we went up to film the guys on the last dates.

I also made friends with the girl on my right, she was ashy blonde, she kind of reminded me of Katie but more mature and intelligent. She was Lola Franklin and I found out she was as nervous as I was about today.

When I met up with Josh for lunch he was walking with some boys from History. They laughed, caught sight of me and froze. The cheeky looking bronze haired boy appraised me for a moment with considering eyes before clapping Josh on the back goodbye. He just smiled apologetically at me and we walked out the doors to find somewhere to eat.

Our first day was pleasingly easy and I couldn’t wait to go back the next day. I enjoyed it so much and that was unusual for school. I liked the clean break with my man.

***

“The boyfriend not in today?” Fiona asked curiously when I slumped down in the seat next to her in Film Studies that Thursday afternoon. Josh had left this morning after History to head up with the guys to Manchester for their next show. His parents had forced him to go in the morning but it was unfortunate we had Film Studies last on Thursday – he had to leave. He was missing tomorrow as well for the Aberdeen date. I was kind of in a piss today because they’d agreed to stay in some whore’s house. Seriously, the comments she left had my blood boiling, how they agreed to stay there I’ll never know.

I slung my purse off my shoulder and shrugged out of my jacket.

“He was in this morning,” I said and pulled out my notebook.

“Gone home ill?” she asked with a sympathetic face. I actually laughed. I didn’t mean to but I did.

“Pfft! He rarely gets ill, no he’s gone up to Manchester with his band, they’ve got a show tonight supporting Fightstar – they’re mid tour,” I explained with a shrug and opened my book, flicking through it to fight the right page. When I heard no audible response, I looked up at Fiona to check she hadn’t disappeared. She was gaping at me.

“Josh is in a band? That’s supporting Fightstar? You’re joking, right?” she finally managed to ask in a strangled voice. Fiona had a similar style to the boys, the dark clothes, hoodies, and dead straight layered hair. She was evening fashioning a ‘Drop Dead’ hoody – a favourite brand of Max’s.

“Noooo, they’ve been doing this for a few years now, they’ve supported Paramore and played Slam Dunk. They’ve got a MySpace and a load of songs released,” I told her carefully because she really was staring at me in disbelief.

“Oh my fucking God,” she breathed and then her face twisted into a frown. “Like really now? 100% serious?”

I nodded before laughing.

“Hasn’t he… told anyone?” I asked and looked around the room. Sam Richi was sitting two seats from me. He’d become friends with Josh over the past few days and looked a little confused at the empty chair between us. “I didn’t expect that.”

“I don’t think any of us expected that.” Fiona laughed and fell back into her seat.

I thought that was a bit unfair. Okay, I hadn’t believed him when he told me he was going to start a band but still… Josh could be in a band. Josh is in a band.

“What are they called?” she asked curiously before I could retaliate.

“You Me At Six,” I answered automatically. “Don’t ask about the name. Check them out on MySpace.”

“When I get home.”

And then Mr Farlen arrived.

***

“You’re Franceschi’s chick right?”

I looked around the bus stop to see who was trying to talk to me. It was the cheeky looking bronze haired guy from the other day.

“Jasey,” I said bitterly. “And what’s it to you?”

Surprisingly, his face grew kinder and he sat down next to me. He was smaller than Josh, I almost came to the same height as him, with short bronze coloured hair. His left ear was pierced and he was wearing a rather deep v-neck top. His arms were quite muscular, his face quite handsome but he had this cheeky air about him.

“Sorry, we were just wondering where he went today.”

Oh my God. He seriously hadn’t told anyone. I would have been shouting it from the rooftops.

“I’m Booly and this is Henri by the way,” he indicated to the dark brunette to his right who was smiling at me. He had a stunning smile.

“Hi,”he said in a rich Welsh accent.

“Hi, he umm…” I had to paused for a moment to gather myself. “He left for Manchester this afternoon.”

“Family thing?” Henri asked curiously.

“No,” I said through tight lips because I just wanted to laugh. I couldn’t believe Josh hadn’t said a word. “To support Fightstar on their tour.”

Booly looked confused.

“Is that sarcasm?” he asked after a moment.

“No.” And then I laughed hard. “He’s in a band called You Me At Six and they’re supporting Fightstar on their tour. He’s going to Aberdeen tomorrow.”

“Wow,” Henri said and then laughed with me. “Kept that one quiet.”

“Surprisingly,” I muttered.

“So are you his groupie or something?” Booly asked with a mischievous grin that made me want to slap him. Instead I brushed it off with the shake of my head.

“You catching this one?” He asked a moment later when the bus pulled up.

“Yes,” I said, eyeing them as we all got to our feet.

“Looks like we’re gonna be bus buddies.” He slung his arm around my neck and led me onto the bus.

Oh dear God…

***

“Guess where we’re going?” I asked excitedly when I finally managed to snag Josh for myself. It was Saturday and we were in Portsmouth for another night on the tour.

“Where?” He looked exhausted in all fairness. His eyes were shut and he was slouched down the sofa in the dressing room.

“Ireland.”

“But there isn’t an Irish date on this tour,” he said lamely, his voice sorted trailed off in his tired state.

“No,” I said, half put out, half amused. “We’re going there on a trip on the 12th.”

“What?” he asked feebly, and opened his eyes as he shifted into a more comfy position.

“Film Studies trip- Oh my God, why are you so tired? You’re going on stage in like five hours.”

“Got shit all sleep last night at this girls house, she had this dog, urgg, we need a bus.”

“Well get some sleep in now,” I suggested trying to keep the disappointment out of my voice; this was really my only time with him.

“Was planning on it,” he barely said and his head lolled against the corner.

“Night,” I whispered, irritated.

“Hey Jase.” Max entered the room, his eyes showed his tiredness but, from the way he was twitching and shaking, I guessed he was pumped on sugar or caffeine.

“Hello,” I whispered throwing an annoyed glance at the sleeping Franceschi and I flung myself off the sofa. “We better leave sleeping beauty.”

“Yeah, let me grab my fags.” He snatched a packet off the table and followed me out. I closed the door and walked down the corridor with him. “How’s college?”

“It’s good actually, I wasn’t expecting it to be this good, how’s the tour going?”

“We’ve got a lot more interest actually,” Max said animatedly. “Every night we get a load of kids waiting for us outside! It’s insane!”

“Well done, I really am happy for you Max.”

“Thanks.”

“So have I missed anything?” I asked as Max opened the door to the building for me. “Cheers.”

“Umm, no not really, we got Matt like seriously off his head the other night and that was absolutely hilarious. I’ve never seen him so smashed.” Max laughed at the memory.

“But he was alright right?”

“Jase, we can look after ourselves,” Max assured. “And yeah, he just threw up loads all over this poor girls kitchen where we were sleeping. Man it was rank.”

He pulled a cigarette out of the box and popped it into his mouth. I stared at the small white stick with curiosity.

“Max, can I have one?”

Max stared at me, the fag hanging out of his mouth and looked like it was about to slip out.

“Yeah,” he said after he recovered. He handed me a stick and lit it. He leant back against the wall of the building and lit his own. I tilted the cigarette, examining it for a moment, and then put the end in my mouth and inhaled.

I choked and coughed of course. Max smiled and laughed as I wheezed, holding the thing away from me.

“Carry on inhaling as you pull it from your mouth,” he told me and demonstrated. I tried again and took his advice. It was… okay.

“So why have we decided to take up smoking all of a sudden?” Max asked, tapping the end of the fag so the ash fell off.

“I’m up for trying things, you got one shot at life right?” I shrugged and copied him. “So, anyone’s houses you’ve stayed at try anything?”

Max laughed and pushed off from the wall to stand up straighter.

“Well, you know the ladies, they can’t keep their hands off me,” Max teased.

“Yeah whatever.” I laughed. “But seriously?”

“Course they have. This one girl’s house we stayed at she invited a few of her friends around, that was the night we got really hammered, I mean poor Matt! But no one got us, we’re not like that,” he said seriously. “We’re not… guy slags.”

“Man slags?” I corrected for him but nodded all the same. He was right, I knew my boys, they weren’t cheap and didn’t abuse their position.

“Well done,” I said and took another drag.

“You don’t need to worry about him Jase, he likes you too much to be stupid enough to mess around,” Max said sincerely.

“Thanks Max,” I said and smiled. I’d missed this boy. “Where is everyone?”

“Just about to head off around town, Daniel and Ashley disappeared hours ago. Chris and Matt are around front in that café place. I think the girls have gone off shopping.” He shrugged and inhaled once more before flicking the cigarette to the ground.

“Hungry? I could do with some lunch?” I offered and did the same.

“It’s a date.” He grinned, sliding his arm around me.

“No words to Joshua please,” I teased and put my arm around my best friend.

***

“Are you sure?” I asked when I pulled away from Matt’s goodbye hug.

"Yeah, we don’t mind catching the train back,” he reassured me with a smile.

“We’re going back to the same area anyway, it’s not far off,” Lewis added and pulled me into a hug.

“Alright,” I said and pulled back. “It was nice to see you guys again, we need to see each other more, this band stuff is getting too much in the way.”

“Agreed,” Dan said. “We’re in need of a good party or something.”

“Yeah cause being in a band isn’t one big party,” Summer giggled.

“Not yet,” Max shrugged. “We need more dosh.”

“We’re never going to get that much,” Chris said.

“Alright, see you guys,” Josh called as Ashley, Dan, Chris, Lewis and Matt turned to leave for their train.

“Great show tonight!” Emily called as we back tracked.

I climbed into the van with Josh and Max. Whilst Charlie drove Emily, Lucy and Summer home.

“We socialised enough to get to a party yet?” Josh asked me and leant his head on my shoulder.

“Mehh, got a few mates, especially those kids from your History class.”

Josh stiffened at my side and sat up.

“What Henri and Booly?” There was a defensive edge to his tone. Looks like Josh wasn’t as happy about me and boys as I was about him and girls. It was calming to know the feeling was natural.

“They’re our new bus buddies,” I said with a chuckle.

“Huh,” he said and I could tell he was slightly miffed. I smiled to myself before snuggling up to him.

“Calm down Franceschi. You’re my man.”

***

“Uhh maybe you shouldn’t have said anything about the band thing,” Josh muttered to me that Monday afternoon. Word had gotten around about You Me At Six and it had suddenly created a lot of interest. Even I was feeling the effects – girls and boys came up to me in classes asking about the band. Some seem too interested.

“Sorry,” I whispered back as we took our seats at a new table in the cafeteria. We had to move to a bigger one thanks to all the curious guests. “I didn’t anticipate this.”

“Neither did I,” Josh replied through tight lips that were raised in a forced smile.

“You going on the Film Studies trip next week?” Terri Porter asked, leaning forwards on her folded arms so her breasts stuck out. She really was the whore type I’d been hoping to avoid. Extensions, lots of make-up, push up bras, tight and low cut clothes. The type I hated. She was batting her thickly coated lashes at him.

“Uhhh, yeah,” Josh replied, a bit too dazed.

“Awesome,” her friend, I mean clone, Kelly Smyth replied in a flirtatious grin. Oh God. A weekend with this lot? Kill me.

“You know who you’re rooming with yet?” Jason Blake asked, his eyes not moving from Terri’s top.

“Actually, Sam offered earlier,” he replied and I sank back with relief. Sam Fowler was a nice boy, decent and I was glad Josh had seen that. As far as I knew, I was sharing with Fiona but knowing my luck, I’d get the fake clones with me as well. Joy.

People of all styles, genres, clichés came up to us. People asked constant questions. People were too nice. Girls flirted. People tried everything to become friends with Josh, even me. Neither of us really liked it. Compliments about their music were throw left right and centre. I counted the amount of times Josh replied with a thank you that few days – 153. And this was low key fame.

It wasn’t until that Friday, when Josh was back on tour, did I hear things that made me feel completely uneasy with the situation.

“Yeah and so? Have you seen her, she’s a bit of a buzzin’ bitch isn’t she?” Terri said not to quietly in Art. I was at the sink washing my brushes and I don’t think she noticed me there.

“Why the fuck is someone like that with her?” Kelly asked in agreement. “He’s so fucking fit and a lead singer in a band.”

I froze. They were talking about Josh and I.

“Yeah well fuck off bitch he’s mine,” Terri snarled at her best friend. “There is no way he’s going to be able to resist me.”

“When?”

“Film Studies trip. Few drinks, he’ll be all mine,” she said snidely. “Once he’s fucked me he’ll never want to go back to her.”

The brushes slipped through my fingers and hit the thin layer of water at the bottom – splashing onto my t-shirt.