I Just Had to Lick the Cookie, Didn't I?

Me vs. the World

It's so hard that I try to bury it;
Pretend that you didn't exist so I can be strong;
But I feel sick and I feel diseased
'Cause everyone abandons me
And I can't move along,
'Cause I'm barely holding on


The movers came. They took anything and everything that wasn't mine. As of now, the only things left in the house are: the kitchen appliances, what ever is in my room, one guest bed and...nothing else. Everything is gone. Honestly I have no idea what my parents were thinking. I can't live here with that alone. I don't even have money.

"Adriaan," Milo's voice reached my ears. I didn't move, keeping my head in my pillow and blanket up to my neck. My hair is still wet, and I'm not completely dressed yet... "Your mother's on the phone." Groaning, I stuck my hand out for the phone. Once it was in my hand, I was more than tempted to close it. Instead, I was good and put it to my ear.

"Yes?" I mumbled into my pillow, loud enough for her to hear.

"Hi honey. I have some news..." she started to choke back tears. "Faith's funeral is this Saturday. I just called to let you know." There was yelling in the background and my mom sobbed. "I'll see you soon. We love you," she managed.

"Bye." I hung up and threw my cell on the floor. That woman sure knows when to ruin a moment. She conveniently called while I was forgetting all about Faith. My vow to myself was that I, Adriaan Anabell Ryker, shall henceforth never think of one, Faith Martha Ryker, ever again. Of course then Milo's dad couldn't be angry with me, and it left plenty of opportunities open...

"What did she want?" People just don't know how to leave me alone, do they?

I turned my head in my pillow to see Milo. He was standing there with a pile of neatly folded clothes.

"You did my laundry?" I asked in amazement. That was a little creepy, him doing my laundry. He looked down as if he hadn't realized that my laundry was in his arms.

"Oh! No, I just folded it. It was in a bin in my room, and I was bored." Lovely. He folded my laundry because he was bored. Tell me I'm not marrying a compulsive freak. That would bother me. And be slightly creepy.

"You folded my laundry because you were bored?" I asked, sitting up. My blanket fell from my shoulders and I shivered.

"Well, yes and no. I just didn't want it in my room," he shrugged. Better answer. I sighed and jumped out of my bed and walked up to him.

"She called to tell me that Faith's funeral is on Saturday." Now with my pile of clothes, I walked back to my bed.

"Did she say what time?" he asked as I pulled a pair of flannel pajama bottoms from my new mass of clothes. "You know, I put serious effort into folding those," he grumbled. I shrugged and pulled a clean tank top from the heap.

"No, she didn't say." Folded clothes are such a hassle. Isn't it easier to just pick through a pile, hold up something to see if it's what you want, and put it back if it isn't? There it is. Finally I found my hoodie. "If my messiness is going to bother you, then perhaps you should reconsider the whole situation." I spun to look at him, and he just stood there. At least he isn't perverted, because right now I'm practically naked in only my underwear, bra and a tank top and he isn't checking me out. It shouldn't really matter though, especially since we're getting married anyway... Stupid parents...

"Well, I'll call our pilot and my cousin. I think he's in New York, that way we could just stay with him. If that's okay with you..." he offered. I shrugged and pulled on my pants.

"It beats staying with my parents. They'll just be depressed the whole time. That really isn't good for me. Plus all the pressure to act semi-normal around the relatives is too much. God do I hate those people..." Eh. My family sucks. Everyone was consoling my parents through the ordeal last year, and not a shred of sympathy was sent my way. That was painful. Especially since it was entirely my fault. Maybe that's why...

"That is definitely not healthy," Milo commented, poking my bare ribs. I narrowed my eyes and dropped my dirty tank top on the floor.

"This is even better," I said, handing him my clean tank and hoodie. If he thought my ribs showing wasn't healthy, just wait until he sees what I can do with them.

Milo's eyes widened as I sucked in my stomach and shoved my hand up behind my ribs.

"That-just-don't ever do that again," he stuttered, pulling my arm to get my hand out. I smiled sweetly and he glared. "You're going to gain weight, whether you want to or not. I will not have you as the center of the media's negativity which would just make me seem like a horrible medical student." I scoffed.

"Listen, when you've gone through everything I have and are on heavy anti-depressants and sleep aids, let me know. Then maybe I'll let you judge me." He handed me my clean tank and I pulled it over my head, glowering at him.

"I wasn't judging you. I just-I stay away from the media for my own reasons and if you're the way you are, they'll tear you apart. They're all savages and are just looking for ways to get their stories published. It's sink or swim when you're famous, and right now, you'd sink." What the hell was that? Some sort of cryptic metaphor? Eh, I don't need this right now.

"Look," I started calmly, taking a deep breath and pulling on my hoodie, "I'm sorry, you're sorry, everyone's happy. Let's just..." I thought for a second. "Try to act alright. You don't want to be embarrassed, your mother wants us to be all happy pappy, and my parents are freaks. Problem solved, now go call your cousin or whatever and get me the fuck out of this place."

Milo stood there. At first he was confused and then he seemed to understand. After taking a breath, he left as he pulled out his cell.

See, I'm just trying to make everyone happy. My mom wants me at Faith's funeral, so I'm going. Caroline wants Milo and me to be happy, so we're going to act like it and he's coming with me. William wants me to get over Faith, so I'm going to forget all about her. Milo wants me to gain weight so I don't screw up his rep. I want to overdose and leave planet earth; then maybe no one will want anything I can't give them...

"Hey, wake up." Don't you hate when you know exactly who's waking you up? I know I do. Stupid Milo and his stupid waking-me-up-ness.

"Please buckle your seatbelts, we will be landing momentarily. The current time in New York is eight forty-two and the temp is fifty degrees Fahrenheit. Enjoy your stay." So not only is Milo waking me up, he's doing it before we land. I could kill him.

Sitting up, I narrowed my heavy eyes just give Milo an evil, evil glare.

"What?" he asked innocently. Grr... I sighed and opened my eyes all the way. To my left the open window displayed a beautiful scene of New York City at night. All of the lights looked so quaint and vivid. The perfection was ruined when the plane began to descend. At least I got to be at peace for a few seconds...

"Logan!" a voice shouted. Milo placed our bags on the floor and turned around. A bunch of people were staring at us and the guy running at us. His arms were out wide and his smile huge. I felt even more out of place now. This guy was wearing really nice jeans, an expensive-looking shirt, a leather jacket, and sunglasses. Even Milo looked fairly nice. I, on the other hand, was forced to wear a skirt, knee-high high-heel boots, a tight-fitting flirty tank, and a very girly coat. Oh yea, and sunglasses. It's nine at night and the three of us-Milo, crazy man, and me-plus a group of three guys following the guy running at us, are all wearing sunglasses. Insane I tell you, insane.

Maybe you think myoutfit is nice too, but let me just tell you, I feel like a hooker. Or maybe a skanky super model. You choose. Even this freaking bag is skanky... Milo said that it would be best for me to disguise myself for some reason... I trust him.

"Andrew," he nodded once the guy was enveloping him in a huge hug. After Andrew backed off, he looked his cousin up and down, and then moved to me. He whistled and looked back at Milo.

"This is her?" he asked. Milo nodded and pulled me into him using his left arm. His arm did feel nice and warm around my shoulder, but I'm just not ready for this. However, in order to keep up the act, I have to smile and enjoy it. "Nice. So, ready to go?"

"Yea, let me just grab our bags." Milo went to turn around, but Andrew stopped him.

"Don't worry about them. My driver'll get 'em. That's what I pay him for." Andrew chuckled a little. "Well, these are my friends," he gestured to the three guys standing behind him. "Gates," he was the tallest of all of them, but I think Milo's taller. "Ned," he was the only blond one besides Andrew. "And Chaz," this guy was a red head. They were all dressed similar to Andrew. "So, her name is...?" Andrew prompted.

"This is Adriaan, my girlfriend." We had gone over this earlier. Right now I was to be considered his girlfriend until our engagement was announced, which is fine with me. And I'm guessing he was emphasizing the word to keep Andrew and his friends away. I'm with him on that one. Adriaan Ryker is no fame-seeking groupie.

They all nodded in understanding. Milo discretely pulled me closer to him. For the hell of it, I decided to play along and put my right hand in one of his back pockets and my let my left grab his tee-shirt. He looked down at me for a second before glancing around the airport.

"No paparazzi?" Milo asked, seemingly surprised by the fact. He used his free hand to pull of his sunglasses and gave his hair a slight shake.

"Nah. They aren't allowed in this airport anymore. They're on suspension for harming an employee. They'll be all over us outside though. My limo's like a light and they're the bugs. It's crazy annoying." Wonderful. My picture is going to be everywhere tomorrow...

"Great," Milo mumbled. "I thought you said your driver was coming for our bags?"

"Yea, he'll be here soon. Just leave them. My other driver doesn't like to be alone in the limo while it's bombarded. We should just go." Andrew and his friends started to walk away. Milo looked skeptical, but we both saw a man in a suit coming our way. Figuring it was the driver, Milo pulled me along. In order to walk easier, I removed my hand from his pocket and grabbed the back of his jacket instead.

As soon as we walked out of the doors we were blinded by the brightest flash of light I have ever seen. It was like looking into the sun, I swear. Then it died down and there just a few flashes here and there. Apparently Andrew likes publicity, because he stopped and pulled off his sunglasses.

"Andrew!" someone called. He looked at the woman and nodded for her to continue. "Is that Maelogan Boone?" she shouted. Andrew chuckled.

"The one and only," he said. The back of his head was shifting every few seconds, like he was posing. What a freak.

A chorus of Milo's full name filled the air. I looked up at him. He wasn't exactly smiling, but he wasn't frowning either.

"Who is she?!" someone screamed. All of the guys looked over to where the voice had come from.

"None of your business." "She's his girlfriend."

Both Milo and Andrew had replied at the same time. I have a feeling this isn't going to end well.
♠ ♠ ♠
:O----------E (That's a giraffe. Teehee...) =]