I Just Had to Lick the Cookie, Didn't I?

Wake Up Call

Everyone and everything feels like it slips away;
Way down deep in my lungs I can hear you as you fade away


"Would you like me to go into a second depression?" I asked my mother. This is ridiculous. I feel unworthy to be on the driveway of this place. Mental Note: never return!!!

"I…uh…had…" My mother stuttered as she turned off the car, music still blaring. We're obviously both in shock. I mean wow. This place is…too good for us.

"I'm so glad you made it!" We both jumped ten inches out our seats, no joke. There was a woman, around my mom's age, at the driver's window. My mom smiled out of her shock and opened the door. I got out too and walked hesitantly to her side. I'm afraid I might burn to ashes from being here. It doesn't feel safe, seeing as I'm unworthy and all. "Oh, Gabrielle, you didn't say she was so pretty!" This Caroline character is starting to scare me, at least I'm hoping her name is Caroline, otherwise I just lied to you.

"Oh…" Mother dearest is still in a slight daze. "Yes! Yes she is. I'm sure I mentioned that before." She smiled at Caroline and Caroline smiled back. They were the perfect richity rich mothers, I tell you. Both with the blonde hair, pretty eyes-Caroline's were brown-, perfect white teeth, small figures… The list goes on. Damn them and their perfect-ness.

Caroline came up to me, still wearing that freaking smile. It burns!

"I'm Caroline Boone. It's so nice to meet you." She didn't offer her hand, thank God. I might have caught some sort of happy disease if she had.

"Uh, hi." I gave a little wave. She smiled even bigger. Creepy.

"Follow me. Dinner won't be for another twenty minutes." Intriguing. I came here to wait for dinner. Maybe I could have waited longer to show up…

My mom followed behind her as she led us to the front door. I stayed back a bit; after all, I honestly still think I'm going to turn into a pile of ash… Caroline opened the big front door and we were met with a bright light. Not that kind, you duck. The house was so perfect it was scary. It had that expensive 'we hired a celebrity's interior design team' look. Very fancy.

"Everyone's in the sitting room." The sitting room? What the hell was this then? A room with three sofas for no reason? Caroline led us through her gold-illuminated home to a door. She opened it and we heard some chattering, along with laughter. This is going to be so much fun… Wait a second, who's everyone? "Everyone, these are our new neighbors." Caroline's sweet voice caused the room to settle and stare. I don't like stares, especially with seven pairs of eyes.

"I'm Gabrielle Ryker, and this is my daughter, Adriaan." My mother introduced us with ease, something I've always envied. I was forced to plaster a painful smile on my face.

"Welcome. I'm William, was Cameron unable to join us?" A man stood from a sofa. He was a little older than my dad, Cameron. He was definitely a little arrogant but kind nonetheless.

"Yes, he wanted to get settled in the office." My mom smiled again, even though we both knew that wasn't where he was. He went there over two hours ago, he probably only spent thirty minutes settling in. By now he was at the nearest bar intoxicating himself. After all, it was Saturday, his day to drink.

"I see," I like this guy. He wasn't pushing us for the painful truth. I can deal with that. "Anyhow, these are my parents." He motioned to an old couple sitting on a loveseat. They had smug looks on their faces. Didn't I tell you some 'nice' old people would be living next door? There they are, and they don't seem too nice to me. William smiled again and cleared his throat. At that three more people stood up; an older guy, a girl younger than me, and a boy younger than her.

"Cadan William. It's a pleasure to meet you." The older guy smiled with perfection, just like his mother. He even looked like her: blonde straw-like hair, chocolate brown eyes, and a perfect little face. I hate him, but I smiled because my mother would have shot me.

"Jane Mary," the girl curtsied and shot back up. "I'm so excited to have a girl move next door!" She was practically jumping for joy in her yellow dress. I hate yellow, and she scares me… But, again, I smiled.

"I'm Charlie," the little boy stated proudly, thumbing himself in the chest. He was cute, I guess. A little arrogant, but cute.

"These are our children." Caroline praised. "We have another," her voice was hostile, "but I'm not quite sure where he is." Caroline wasn't too happy about that either. Another Mental Note: keep away from pretty neighbor lady when she's angry. "Why don't you have a seat?" She walked to her husband and my mother followed. They sat and started chatting. The old people just sat quiet and evil looking. They scare me.

"Sit next to me," Jane grabbed my hand and pulled me on the sofa next to her. Charlie was playing with his brother, who looked a little disappointed. "You're Adriaan right?" I nodded. "That's such a cool name. I wish I had a cool name, Jane is so ordinary." This girl had some fucking energy. She must be on heroine or something…

"Adriaan isn't too great. Most people assume I'm a guy when they see it, and then when they figure it out they think it's weird." Which is true. Teachers always look for a boy, not me, who is definitely nota boy.

"It's still cool. I'm twelve, how old are you?" Wow, twelve. God save me.

"Seventeen." Her eyes widened.

"Really?" What's not to believe? I'm a little insulted.

"On the… seventeenth, yeah." That day hurts. It hurts us all.

"Awesome. I turn thirteen on the sixth of June." Ooo, that's so cool.

"Logan turns twenty-one in November, and Will just turned twenty-three." Wait, Will as in dad Will, or Will as in brother Will? And who the hell is Logan? "Do you have a boyfriend?" I choked. Not anymore I don't. It's been a while.

"No. Do you?" I think that's what she wanted me to ask. Her eyes glittered with excitement. She turned to see if anyone was looking and nodded.

"But don't tell. Daddy says I'm too young." Yes, actually, she is. And who the hell calls their dad 'daddy'? My mother?

"I won't." I promised. Who would care anyway? I don't. Then I heard something.
♠ ♠ ♠
See? Terrible. Well, I cross my heart and hope to die that it gets better. Pinky promise? (Everyone knows you can't break a pinky promise.) =]