I Just Had to Lick the Cookie, Didn't I?

Finding Home

I have seen so many loving faces
They turn back and leave with looks of regret
The road goes and I am finding home in it


Milo's POV

"Wake up, wake up, wake up!" a voice cheered. I groaned and rolled over, pulling my pillow over my head in the process. "Come on!"

"Go away," I mumbled into the encased feathers.

"It's your birthday, you have to get up," she whispered in my ear after removing the pillow. "I made you cookies."

"Really?" I asked; smiling with my eyes still closed.

"Yep, but you have to get up and come get them. They're in the kitchen."

If you haven't noticed, I'm a sucker for cookies. Preferably the M&M kind, but it doesn't matter all that much. Seeing as I love cookies, I sat up and rubbed my eyes. When I opened them, Adriaan was staring at me. Her expression was unreadable, which was odd.

"What?" I asked her. Adriaan shook her head and smiled.

"Come on! I've been baking for hours." Laughing, I climbed out of bed and Adriaan jumped off too. She watched me as I picked up a shirt from the floor and pulled it over my head. "If I didn't do that too, I'd think it was gross." We both laughed lightly before Adriaan literally snatched my hand and attempted to drag me to the kitchen. I had to give in a little so she wouldn't feel bad, considering I probably weigh twice as much as her.

Today, November seventeenth, is my birthday. We've been here for a little less than a month. As soon as we arrived, I took Adriaan on a tour of the house. She seemed shocked that it was so big, I couldn't blame her. I wasn't the biggest fan of it either.

After the tour, she said that she didn't want a room on the third floor. I agreed since everything that mattered---the kitchen, living room, library, etc---was on the first or second floor. Staying on the third would just be a hassle if it was going to be just the two of us. However, my room is on the third floor. The one I usually use anyway. I decided to stay in Andrew's so that Adriaan wouldn't be alone. Thank god it was only for a month. If I have to spend any longer in this room, I'll suffocate. Nothing is my style, and it smells just like Andrew.

Over the past month, Adriaan and I have managed to get to know each other better, but that isn't saying much. It isn't like we spent every waking moment together. There was a day or two that I never even saw her. Somehow we've managed to avoid our shopping trip until now. Once my parents get here, we'll have to go right away.

I walked into the kitchen, Adriaan leading the way, but before I could see anything she let my hand go and covered my eyes.

"Promise you won't over-do it on the alcohol. Just because you're legal doesn't mean you get to go around and become a drunk." That was...random to say the least.

"Alcohol isn't exactly my cup of tea. It makes me nauseous as hell and I can never seem to get drunk." I'm sure that if I could see her face she'd looked surprised. Sometimes it gets to me that people think I'm a 'good kid'. Obviously they don't pay close enough attention to notice.

For instance, back in the day---kidding---when I was still attending F.J.D, I went to this crazy party that one of my friends was having. It was over break and most of the teachers had gone home, the place was practically empty. So, we managed to get some alcohol, play a few games and there you have it. I'm not even joking, I probably had about seven shots of vodka in twenty minutes and possibly some other...beverages...and I was still completely aware of my surroundings and in control of my body. Sure I threw up a few times that night, but I was never mentally or physically impaired.

I've never tried drugs though. Don't plan on it either.

"That wasn't funny," she stated. I smiled and put my hands on hers.

"Can I look now?" I asked.

"Yep," she said. I pulled her hands from my eyes and my gaze immediately went to the table over her shoulder. An enormous mound of cookies was sitting in the center. My mouth nearly dropped to the floor when the scent hit me. I have no idea how I didn't smell that before.

"I---I fucking love you," I blurted and looked her in the eyes. Adriaan smiled.

"I know," she laughed.

"I---You---Can---Hug." I stepped closer to her and wrapped my arms around her tiny frame, squeezing as hard as I thought she could handle. "You are the best friend I've ever had," I said softly.

"Oh, I know," she retorted jokingly. Right when I let her go and was about to run to my mass of M&M cookies...

"Logan! Happy birthday!" Both Adriaan and I turned to see my mother standing in the doorframe on the other side of the kitchen. I had hoped that they wouldn't show up until later, but they just had to ruin my greatest birthday ever.

"Hey mom," I said dully.

"Aw, honey, smile! You're twenty-one! I'd say something about going to bars and meeting girls for a change, but you don't need to." Her smiled made me sick. Today was one of those days. The days she doesn't mean it. One of the times she secretly wishes I was never born. I can see it in her eyes. I can see her fury.

"Actually," I stated harshly, "Adriaan and I were just about to go out." She looked at me curiously for a second.

"Dressed like that?" she asked. When I looked at Adriaan I noticed she was in some lounge clothes, and I myself was still in pajamas. With a huff, I looked back at her.

"I didn't mean right this second." Her eyes hardened and I saw my father come from behind her.

"Happy birthday son," he smiled. It seemed real until I looked into his eyes. I'm sure Adriaan wouldn't notice. I know her parents are fake too, but hers weren't as talented as mine. Gabrielle and Cameron can be read clear as day, my parents aren't easily read. It takes years and years of exposure to see the deceit.
♠ ♠ ♠
Dang nabbit. =[