I Just Had to Lick the Cookie, Didn't I?

Boulevard of Broken Dreams

Read between the lines
What's fucked up and everything's alright
Check my vital signs
And know I'm still alive and I walk alone


Milo sent his parents a cold glare before grabbing my hand and leading me back upstairs. He pulled me into the room he had been staying in and immediately pulled off his dirty shirt. I watched him curiously for a second before asking a question that was starting to bother me.

"What was that all about?" I asked. Before now---meaning them coming to stay with us---I had never really seen Milo with his parents. Sure there've been a few instances, but they lasted short periods of time. Not including the time William had taken us into the study...

Even so, I couldn't see why Milo would be so enraged by his parents. Honestly, you could feel the intensity of his glare.

"Don't worry about it," he replied plainly, pulling off his sweat pants and changing into a pair of jeans.

"Fine," I sighed. Milo pulled on a different shirt and then grabbed my hand once more. We walked across the hall to my room. Milo went and sat on the unmade bed as I searched through my closet. "What should I wear?" I asked, turning to look at him. He was deep in thought and staring at the floor.

"Oh, uh, whatever I guess. I could care less. Besides, you'll have to change a lot. You need to have five dresses as far as I know, and I'd prefer we got them all today." With that I decided to wear a pair of old, faded, and slightly torn jeans. My favorite pair. Those and a Silverstein tee. Coincidentally, my nails matched the shirt. A few days ago I had become bored and found nail polish. Now they're a bright pinkish red. Lovely. (Note my sarcasm.)

"Why do I need so many?" I inquired as Milo stood.

"You need one for Thanksgiving, and then there's the annual Christmas Eve Ball in New York. The day after that we have a family Christmas dinner. And on New Year's Eve we go to Miami for a party and there's a family dinner January first too." These people sure do like to travel. God.

Somehow Milo and I made it out to his car without running into the Boones again. Milo seemed relieved, but I couldn't be sure.

It took about an hour to get to a small little town. Yes, I said small little town. You see, this gigantic house that we're staying at is located way, way, way up in the mountains. There's literally nothing for miles and miles except mountains, grass, trees, and occasional little ponds. Yay for Idaho. Yep, so Milo took me to a small town to go shopping. At first I was completely confused, but then I had a huge 'Oh' moment. Note to Self: Don't judge a town by its size.

Milo led me by the hand into the little boutique. It wasn't until I was completely inside that I realized how big it actually was. Long story short: Big shop, lots of dresses, and lots of money. We left---me feeling guilty---with five new dresses. Some of them I was a little iffy about, but Milo assured me they looked nice. I trust him since he's my friend.

"Adriaan," Milo said, emphasizing my name and giving me a hard glare.

"I just don't see how it's fair! It's your birthday, Ishouldn't have got anything!" I whined, refusing to hang my dresses up in his--our closet. Since his parents arrived, we had to clear everything out of the two rooms we had been staying in and move up to his. Tonight should be interesting...

"Adriaan," he repeated, "you're going to have to get used to it. This is a wealthy family and I'm going to spend money on you whether you like it or not. We all will. You honestly couldn't have expected me to let you go out in public wearing something everyone has seen before. Frankly, it doesn't bother me, but my family would be appalled. Not to mention humiliated. They'd have my head, as well as yours. Understand that I don't want to change you, but it's the way our lives are going to be. Anyway, you needed those dresses. Now hang them up so I can go to bed."

Milo pulled back the duvet on his bed. I sighed and hung up the five---extremely expensive---dresses. Once I was done I closed the closet doors and shuffled over to the bed.

"Just get in," Milo ordered playfully, smiling at me. I rolled my eyes and climbed in. He flipped the switch and turned the lights off and then joined me. Awkward moment. Needless to say, I'm slightly uncomfortable...

The door flew open and I literally jumped a foot in the air. I must have inched closer to Milo, because now I'm practically underneath him, hiding my face in his armpit. I'm such a chicken.

"Logan! Happy birthday!" a girly voice squealed. Umm... Oh shit? Does anyone else see how weird this is going to be? If you didn't know, the only people that are aware of the arranged marriage are my parents and Milo's parents, that's it. Not to mention Milo's family isn't completely aware of the fact I'm here for Thanksgiving. Yea...

"Jane," Milo said, keeping himself from groaning. He sat up and I curled myself in a ball under the covers. The lights went on and I could hear Jane bouncing. "Did you just get in?"

"Yes, and I've been excited all day! How come you're in bed?" she asked, getting closer.

"It isten at night. I'm tired. Shouldn't you be tired too? It's later in Maine than it is here." Yea! How come she's all loopy? I'm not even kidding you, I'm afraid. Last time I met Jane, she didn't seem so crazy. Alright, that's a lie. She was wearing yellow and she scared me.

"I slept all the way here. Now I'm completely awake. Charlie's tired though."

"Oh. Is he already in bed?" Milo asked curiously.

"No, but mom's smothering him. And dad's rambling about the law with Cadan again." These people confuse me. Sometimes they call Milo's brother Cadan, and then two minutes later they call him Will. What the hell!?

"Figures. How about Elise?"

"She's playing with the dogs. So what did y---" she was interrupted by another voice.

"Jane, mom and dad want to talk with you. Goodnight." Jane didn't say anything else, but I heard her leave. Another set of footsteps came into the room, followed by yet another. I heard the dogs come in too. The door was shut after that.

Milo smacked me.

"Ow!" I yelled, emerging from under the covers. I gave him a glare and flicked his arm. "What was that for?" He just smiled at me and shrugged.

"No reason, I just sort of felt like it." I narrowed my eyes.

"I could always feed all of those cookies to the garbage disposal..."

"No! I'm sorry!" he pleaded. I smiled. I just won.

Why is it that I always seem to forget about other people that are in the room when I know they're there? I should get that checked out.
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh man. =]