I Just Had to Lick the Cookie, Didn't I?

Tick Tick Boom

Exhibit A
On a tray
What you say
Ends up thrown in your face
Exhibit B
What you see
Well that's me
I'll put you back in your place

My stomach felt horrible. I rolled over, but it just made everything worse. I rolled the other way, but that hurt too. As a result I settled for staying on my back, even though I felt like I was going to spew.

"Are you alright?" Milo's tired voice asked through the darkness. The mattress creaked a bit and the covers stirred as Milo shifted next to me.

All I could manage was a groan.

"Adriaan?" he asked, a hint of worry in his voice.

My body constricted and I felt something rising in my throat.

"Adriaan!" Milo shouted and I felt him leap from the bed and rush over to my side. He slid his hands under my back and picked me up. I felt even more like I was going to heave because of the bouncing Milo's running was causing me.

Suddenly the light was on in the bathroom, and I was momentarily blinded. The vomit was coming and I started to panic, attempting to grab onto Milo's bare chest.

"Almost there," he told me hurriedly, walking quickly over to the toilet. I blinked my eyes over and over again from the discomfort I was feeling. Milo kneeled onto the floor and set me down in front of the spotless white toilet. From the dizziness and agony, I couldn't sit straight. I felt so weak and uncomfortable. "Here," Milo said, taking a hold of my shoulders and brining me closer to the toilet.

As soon as I grabbed on to the white porcelain, my body jerked and up came dinner. After another painful heave, Milo pulled my hair back and held it out of the way. I can't remember much after that other than the fact that my stomach was now empty.

"---can't. I'm serious. If we could make it, we would, but she's sick mother. Do you really want her ruining your perfect dinner?"

I groaned and scooted underneath the covers so that I was completely encased by the expensive duvet. The consequences of last night's bathroom escapade had me feeling like utter crap.

I blame the Turkey.

Actually, I blame the Turkey juices that seeped into my carrots because I didn't even eatany Turkey.

Damn that freaking bird...

"Look, mom, we are not coming. I'm done talking to you." There was a loud click, which I'm assuming was Milo closing his phone forcefully. A hand was placed on my shoulder. How Milo knew it was my shoulder under the blanket remains a mystery to me.

I groaned just to groan because it suited the situation. Feeling like utter crap is not fun, and the only thing people that feel like utter crap can do is groan and make ludicrous requests and order the healthy people around... Not that I would order Milo around; karma's a bitch. What goes around comes around and the last thing I want is to do everything Milo wants while he's half insane from pain and sickness. See? I'm loopy. I don't think I'm even making sense!

"We don't have to go to dinner tonight, so you're free to lie in bed all day. I'm at your service. It can be your Christmas present," he said. I shrugged and pulled the duvet from over my head. Milo was staring down at me.

"I'd rather not owe you anything for when you end up being sick. Besides, I was planning on being a cranky bitch while I was pregnant. You probably want to hold off on being my slave until then." Milo laughed and then plopped down next to me. His smile was so perfect; no doubt he had gotten it from Caroline.

"I don't mind, really. You won't have to make it up to me either, I promise. My immune system is practically indestructible. I never get sick. Besides, I haven't exactly gotten you a real gift yet. I wanted to ask you what you wanted or take you shopping or something, but we can do that another time I guess."

"But I don't want anything. And I really don't need you to be my slave anyway. I'll just lie here and sleep," I told him, smiling. He shook his head at me.

"I'll get you something sometime; it's just a matter of when."

Lovely, now I'd feel bad because I hadn't even gotten him something for his birthday. I made him dozens of freaking cookies. Sure he loved it and all, but I hadn't gotten him anything for Christmas either. Way to pile on more guilt to my already dreadful life...

Milo's POV

Adriaan fell asleep shortly after telling me she didn't want anything for Christmas. I felt the same way, but I would feel bad if I didn't get her anything.

You know, it's weird. I could sense that something wasn't right with her from the very beginning. There was something eerie about the Rykers in general. Aside from Adriaan's little sister dying and her blaming herself, I felt like I was missing out on something. I knew that she knew about me and my family, but I needed to know about hers. It was just odd.

Her phone started to ring. She just rolled over and groaned, definitely sound asleep. I made the choice to answer it, just in case it was important.

When I picked it up, I checked the caller ID. It said 'MOM', so I figured it was safe to answer.

"Hello?" I asked. There was sobbing from the other end. "Hello?" I repeated.

"A--A--Adriaan!?" Gabrielle wailed.

"No, Mrs. Ryker, it's Logan. Adriaan's ill."

"Then, I need you to come back here and get all of her things," she cried, still sobbing uncontrollably. "We sold the house and everything needs to be gone by the end of the week."

I thought for a second. Why on earth would they sell their home? And why hasn't she asked to talk to her daughter at all?

"Sure, I suppose I can come in a few day---"

"No! You have to come and get everything now! You don't understand!" she started wailing again. Her words were jumbles of incoherent mumbles. There was another voice in the background as the phone seemed to be moving around.

"Adriaan?" an old, tired voice asked.

"No," I replied, confused.

"Who the hell is this?" the woman demanded.

"Maelogan Boone, her boyfriend," I told her. She growled on the other end.

"Why are you answering her phone?" she asked forcefully. The only image that came to mind hearing this woman's voice was Maleficent, that evil lady from Sleeping Beauty. Quite a scary picture...

"She's ill, is that a problem?" I asked, with more of an attitude than before. That woman was pissing me off.

"Actually young man, it is. That little brat always has something wrong with her. What do you honestly see in that wench? Boy, you could do so much better than her."

"Listen, lady," I snarled, "Tell Mrs. Ryker that I'll be there as soon as I can. Got it?"

"Ugh!" she gasped, "How dare you speak to me that way! You can stay and take care of that wretched girl for all I care. I'd have far more fun burning her things anyway!"

"I'll be there in three hours," I sneered and slammed Adriaan's phone closed.

Fuming, I watched her sleep. All I could think about was who the hell that woman was. Her voice sounded a little familiar, but I couldn't remember who it was for the life of me. Adriaan slept so peacefully, and it calmed me down. On the plus side, it was possible that I would learn more about her on my visit. I just needed to make plans...

"Milo! What do you need?" Gary asked excitedly. I had called him. Someone was going to have to keep an eye on Adriaan while I was away.

"Hey, I actually wanted to know if you could take the day off..." I said apprehensively.

"Why? What is it?" he asked, not giving me an answer.

"Adriaan's sick, but I have to go take care of something in Rochester. I have this feeling that if I don't get it done right away I'll get the shit beat out of me."

"A whole day with Adriaan!? Of course I can take the day off! I love her!" he screamed into the phone. I had to laugh at his enthusiasm.

"I take it you like her then?" I chuckled.

"Duh!" he replied. "How sick is she?" he asked, a little disappointed.

"She's resting now, but I wouldn't do anything too crazy, got it?"

"No crazy stuff. I guess that means I'll have to cross skydiving off of the agenda then..." he joked.

"Most definitely. So, you're coming?" I asked.

"I'm already here!" he shouted, and I could hear his voice coming from outside of the door. I closed my phone and laughed as I walked to the door to let him in. "Hey!" he yelled when I opened it, but when I glanced back to see if he had woken Adriaan up, he quickly covered his mouth. "Sorry," he whispered and tip-toed in.

"Don't let her eat anything that might make her nauseous, and don't let her drink anything unless it has peppermint or ginger in it. Got it?"

"No wacky foods and only drinks with ginger or peppermint. Got it. Why are you going anyway?" he inquires.

"I don't really know. I guess I just have to go pick up some things. Hopefully I won't be gone too long, but I'll call you if anything comes up. If you need anything, call me. Have her give me a call when she wakes up though. Sorry for the hassle," I told him sadly, avoiding the whole truth so he wouldn't ask too many questions.

"Nah, it'll give me some time to work on my new line. Seeing Adriaan in this one dress at the beginning of the month inspired me. And that dress I designed for her last night..." he trailed off dreamily. "I'm sure any woman would kill for legs like those. If I were into women, I'd envy you. Adriaan's..." I glared at him and he stopped talking. "Really amazing!" he yelped, trying to save himself.

"I know. But I really don't want to talk about it," I said with a sigh. Gary moved closer to me and patted my shoulder.

"Why are you so conservative? You should be running around the world declaring your love for her to everyone you meet. By God, you should be doing whatever the hell you can to prove to every nonbeliever that you're finally in love, Milo," he proclaimed passionately. I nodded and shrugged off his shoulder.

"I know," I sighed and walked to the door, placing my hand on the knob.

"Sorry," Gary apologized and I nodded to him, attempting a smile. Who knows how well it worked.

"Bye," I said and then left my best friend in my hotel room with my...fiancee. Of course there wasn't anything to worry about, but I could only hope Adriaan wouldn't be angry with me for leaving her like that. The thing was that I really didn't know why I hadn't told her I was going. Maybe it was because she just needed to rest, but I can't help but think that perhaps I had had another reason; one I'm too embarrassed to admit.

Two and a half hours later the jet landed at the Rochester Airport. I waltzed through the giant building out to the pick-up area where I had arranged for a car and driver. That wasn't my usual style considering I hate bossing people around, but to tell you the truth, I had too much on my mind to think clearly.

"We're here, sir," the driver announced, bored. I thanked him and told him to wait for me. He sighed and whipped out a newspaper.

Nerves hit me as soon as I got out of the car. The Rykers' house looked exactly the same as it had before, only this time there was a giant moving van. No one was walking around; the place seemed dead.

I knocked on the front door, but there was no answer. It was like they had all dropped off the face of the earth. Taking a chance, I tried the door. Lucky for me it was unlocked. I swore to myself that if they weren't home, I would kill them. Had I not said that I would be here in three hours? It's been three hours.

"Hello?" I called into the dark home. If it hadn't been for the minimal amount of light coming in through the front door, I'd have been in complete darkness.

There was a faint sobbing noise coming from upstairs, so I maneuvered my way through the sea of boxes to the staircase.

"Hello?" I called again. At the top of the stairs the sobbing grew stronger and I followed it to a cracked open door. A sliver of changing light escaped from the crack. Quietly, I pushed open the door and peered into the room. Once the door was open completely, the sobbing was louder than ever.

A shaking figure sat on an old sofa in front of a television. Gabrielle's entire form was trembling from the sobs. Her body was curled up into one corner of the sofa and she didn't even watch whatever was on the television.

"Mrs. Ryker?" I asked softly. She let out a deafening wail and continued to sob, only harder this time. Slightly frustrated, I walked around to the front of the sofa and decided to see what the woman had been watching.

It was a fairly quiet home video. I'm pretty sure that it was of Adriaan riding at some sort of competition. The horse I had seen in that picture of her awhile back was cantering around a large arena, and jumping. To be quite honest, it was sort of like watching the Olympics. Both horse and rider had perfect forms and remarkable technique. They were that good.

"Who on God's Green Earth are you?!" the malevolent voice from earlier demanded from behind me. I turned around to see who the hell had been so evil. My jaw could have dropped, but it didn't.

Adriaan's grandmother was glaring at me from the doorway.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to everyone that comments. =] I squeal like a little girl when I get them. =]