I Just Had to Lick the Cookie, Didn't I?

Southern Weather

If I'm the cause of all your sickness and pain,
Then I'll bury my head in the hall of dirty shame;
If this is what's getting you so out of touch...


The ride home was silent. My dad's car was in the driveway. Inside it was silent. Both my mom and I went upstairs. She turned left to their room, and I went into mine. I'm right next to the bathroom, so I have my own little door. Pretty cool if you ask me.

And as days go by, the memories remain...

"Ugh, shut up!" I grumbled to the alarm clock. It finally did when I slammed my fist on the cord and it came unplugged. Take that, sucker! Wait, why isn't my mom being annoying? She normally comes in on the first song, this was number seventeen. Seventeen?! Holy shit. Where is she?

I shot up out of my bed and ran to my door. It practically came flying back at me when I threw it open. Silence. The house was silent. What is going on?

"Mom?" I called out. She didn't respond. Nothing di-. Leo came running up the stairs. His little puppy bark is gradually going away, I'll miss it. "Leo!" I knelt down and gave him a hug. His pink tongue licked my face. "Where's grandma?" I asked him, like he would actually know.

Leo trailed behind me down the stairs. I found my way to the kitchen and spotted a note: Call me right away! Love, Mother.

Humph. I really don't want to call her, but I will. My cell was back up in my room, and the house phone isn't set up yet. So, I get to trudge up the stairs. Luckily my phone was charging, otherwise I'd be screwed, huh? I held down number two and it called her.

"Hello?" She asked. She's never checked to see who was calling.

"Mom, you wanted me to call." I reminded her.

"Yes! The doctors said that Faith had some brain activity! Isn't that great?" She was practically hyperventilating over the phone. I sighed. We've gone through this before, and it didn't end well... There was a gasp and a sudden piercing screech. "Oh my god! Adriaan! She's awake! Faith woke up! Honey, get in here!" She was shouting so loud, it was terrifying. Faith is awake? "Adriaan, I...oh-oh- just-oh my-" She hung up. What a terd. My mother just hung up on me because my sister woke up from a coma. Woo, so exciting...

After throwing my phone on my bed, I headed back downstairs. By the time I reached the sixth step, which is a little more than halfway, Leo started to bark.

"Hey buddy," a familiar voice tried to calm. Leo stopped barking, but I could hear his excitement. I ran down the rest of the steps.

"What the hell are you doing here?" I asked viciously, crossing my arms.

"My mom sent me over to feed the dog. She didn't think anyone would be home." Milo replied timidly. I nodded. Wait, why did I just nod? He just waltzed into my house with a pathetic excuse!

"And why exactly, would no one be home?" He stared at me in astonishment.

"Uh, she said something about the hospital. Look, all I did was come to feed the dog. I'll leave if you want." Milo got a little defensive. Interesting.

"How did your mom find out?" Seriously. I found out a minute ago, I guess news travels fast.

"She stopped by for coffee this morning, and then went to the hospital with your mom when the call came. I guess she figured that you'd show up later." I laughed harshly. "I don't see the humor in this situation. Topics involving the hospital are very serious." He stated matter-of-factly.

"You see, you said that your mom thought I'd show up. Well, I'm not allowed to drive, and I figured she would know, considering what they talked about last night." Milo looked confused and interested.

"What did they talk about last night?" He asked curiously. I choked. He most definitely doesn't need to know.

"None of your business. I'm hungry." I turned and walked back to the kitchen. Leo galloped along behind me and I heard the door close. Thank God he left.

"Do you want to go get breakfast then?" I whipped around. He. Didn't. Leave. Grr. Adriaan es furioso. I smiled sweetly.

"Nope. I want ice cream." I twirled back and skipped into the kitchen. Yes! We have Ben and Jerry's. My favorite. Leo barked happily as Milo filled his bowl. My dog practically engulfed the food. "Jeez Lo-Lo. Didn't they feed you?" Milo snickered. "What?" I asked him icily.

"Lo-Lo?" He questioned with a cheeky smile.

"His name is Leo. Would you rather I refer to him as Lee-Lee?" His smile dropped.

"Definitely not." He plopped himself in one of the chairs. I grabbed the half eaten half gallon and a spoon. As I sat I dug into the ice cream, Ben and Jerry's Cookie Dough, my favorite... "Are you going to eat that whole thing?" Milo seemed shocked. With the spoon in my mouth, along with the last scoop, I nodded. "Holy cheeseus." I showed him the empty carton. "Shit. Where does it all go?" I rubbed my stomach. Standing up, I sucked on the spoon. The carton was the only thing in the trash can.

"Do you want any?" I asked him. We do have more...

"No, but I think I'm gonna go watch some television. You don't mind do you?" I shook my head. He left for the living room and a grabbed a small carton anyways. I'm sure he'd eat it...

"Oh, you're on the wrong channel, silly." Milo turned to look over the sofa.

"What do you mean?" I walked over and sat next to him. Taking the controller, we switched. He got the ice cream, I got control. "Oh, and this is so much better than the news," he commented sarcastically at the green screen. I glance over and he had the mother load. Before the spoon made it to his mouth, I intercepted. What now? Adriaan just got three huge chunks of cookie dough! Score!

Milo turned his head dramatically to me. Smiling innocently, I shied away. He placed the carton on the coffee table and flashed the spoon at me.

"Ah!" I screamed before hitting the road. He chased me for a good few seconds before his arm wrapped around me. Whoa, weird feeling. His laugh was so attractive... What am I saying? He's poking me with a spoon for Christ's sake!

"Tell me you're sorry." He sang. How was I supposed to say anything? I can't even breathe! And you know what? That got a whole lot worse when the door opened.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hang in just a LITTLE longer, I promise. =]