I Just Had to Lick the Cookie, Didn't I?

Nobody

Nobody gets out of this shark pit alive
Nobody, nobody gets out alive


Our parents stood there. Surprised. Shocked. Amused. I can't believe this is happening.
Milo immediately let me go, and I shut the hell up. Caroline muttered something which made my mom smile and nod. Holy God. Leo came running to the door. He obediently sat and stared.

After their initial shock, my mother screamed in delight.

"Adriaan, she's awake!" My mom came barreling at me and squeezed the juices out of me. I felt her tears on my shoulder. Milo walked over to his parents and my father, who were all watching my mother and I intently.

"That's lovely mother," I said coldly as I pushed her away. She stared at me, bemused. Tears soaked her face.

"Why aren't you happy?" she asked in a whisper. Gee, I wonder? Stupid.

"You know why mother." I turned and stalked away.

"Did you take your meds today?" Thanks mom! You just informed our new neighbors that I have issues! Oh boy, oh boy, I love you! Grr.

"No," I kept walking.

"Go take them, right now." Ooo, she's miss boss now, huh?

"No," I laughed, still walking to the stairs.

"Adriaan, listen to your mother." My father barked. Ooo, is wittle Adweein supposed to be afwade of the big bad daddy?

"Nope." I kept walking. First step: one foot away.

"Adriaan," he growled, grabbing my arm. I whipped around.

"No!" I screamed in his face and ripped my arm away. I frickin' tore up those stairs. My door slammed behind me and I locked it. Just to tick them off even more, I turned my iPod on and blasted the crap out of it.

When I turned from the night stand I saw that stupid picture. The stupid one my mom had developed that day, the one of Faith and I on our horses. I ran to it and held it above my head. The scream that came out of me when I threw the frame against the wall was unrecognizable. That just made me even angrier. I picked up my desk chair and slammed it against the wall with more force than I thought I had. I jumped up and down on the floor with all my might, screaming viciously. I ran into the wall and threw myself down on the floor. When I was tired and sore I got up and walked toward the bathroom. Something shining caught my eye. Was my mom an idiot? I think she is; she left a box cutter in my room. Fucking retard.

Holy God did that feel good. The scalding water nearly caused me to suffocate, but I survived! After the first two minutes I just felt kind of numb. I like that feeling. Well, now I can be angry and smell good at the same time. I wonder if my mom can do that. Hmm...

I pulled on my favorite jeans and a long-sleeved black Henley with thumb holes. After I combed my hair I slipped into my worn low-tops, my favorite accessory ever. It's safe to say I always feel sexy after I take a shower. My hair always clings to my face, and my eyes look like I'm wearing make-up, even though I'm not. It helps now that I have my thumbs in my pockets, and I always walk like I'm a frickin' super model. Just ask my old friends.

"...very nice. Sometimes I wish ours wasn't so big, it gets to you." That was most definitely not my mother. I stepped into the living room. Caroline and my mother were on one sofa, and my father and Mr. Boone sat in two chairs. They didn't even notice me walk through to the French doors. I pulled them open and walked outside completely unnoticed.

It's about eight thirty in the morning. The sun's up, but it's still chilly. Leaves are rustling in the wind. I made it all the way into the woods unnoticed, very nice. I'm headed for an adventure I guess, but whatever. There was a movement in the trees to my right. I shrugged it off. After a few more steps it was closer, and I heard barking. I kept walking. The barking was even closer, I still ignored it. I ignored that barking until it was behind me, and then I turned around. Leo charged me and immediately started to lick my bloody palm. As I knelt down Milo and Fox came out of the woods too. What the f?

"Oh, hi," he said shyly. I don't think he was expecting to find me. I stood up and wiped my hand on my jeans.

"You're afraid of me now, aren't you?" my voice held humor, but I'm afraid for an answer.

"Oh, no." He shook his head. I was staring down at my feet. "I'm afraid of your mother, though." That made me smile. I looked up at him, his dog sitting obediently at his side. "You know, you have a barn right down this path." He came closer to me.

"Yea, reason number two why I hate my mother." Milo chuckled and walked to my side.

"You hate your mother?" We started to walk down the path toward the barn.

"There's a whole list why." I answered dully.

"How many reasons total?" he asked curiously.

"It grows everyday." I sighed. Milo chuckled.

"What's reason number one?" I gulped and turned to look at him. Tears threatened my eyes. It was too soon to bring up the topic again. Too soon.

"My sister." I looked away quickly. There wasn't a response for a while.

"I'm not too sure I understand that." Of course he wo- What?

"Didn't my mom tell you all about it? I'm sure you all wondered why I was acting like a two year old." Milo shook his head.

"We wondered, but it isn't our place to ask. I figured your mother humiliating you in front of us was enough for one day. We didn't ask." Hmm, nice neighbors. I like them.

"Did anyone ask why my sister is in the hospital?" I choked.

"She was in a coma; generally people in that state are kept in hospitals." Yes, she was in a coma, but there's a bigger picture here.

"Did you ask why she was in a coma?"

"No, but now I'm curious. If you don't mind." Oh, I mind, but I'll tell him anyway.

"She's the reason I'm not allowed to drive. The reason I'm depressed. The reason we moved. Faith is the reason for every single one of my seriously fucked up issues." I stopped moving. Milo stopped and turned to face me, baffled.

"I'm not sure I understand you." Of course not.

"Idid it," my whisper was nearly silent. Still baffled, Milo shifted. Here comes the breakdown. It's been bottled up for an entire year, and I'm about to spill all the details to my new neighbor. My legs collapsed beneath me and I fell to the ground, staring at the tree tops above.

"Are you alright?" he worried. He got down on his knees beside me and felt my forehead.

"I almost killed her." I whispered, blankly staring at the trees.
♠ ♠ ♠
Promise... =]