Status: currently writing (:

I'm Falling to Pieces

Lunch

"Finally!" I thought to myself as the lunch bell rang and I quickly escaped my fifth period science class.

Ellie was waiting for me outside. “Hey!”

I smiled, “Ugh that class was murder you have no idea!”

Ellie smiled sympathetically, “Lets go get something to eat it’ll make you feel much better.”

“I sure hope so.” I sighed. “I mean can you belie-”

I was cut off. Ellie’s latest hookup, Darrel Chaunessey, stood just in front of us by a set of lockers. I watched his face magically light up, as most guys’ faces do, when he saw Ellie coming towards him. I fiddled with my friendship bracelets awkwardly as he approached.

“Hey babe!” Ellie said smiling flirtatiously and kissing him on the cheek.

“Hey darling!” he replied.

They began to talk about their morning classes and once again, I let my mind wander as we all walked toward the cafeteria. I mean, as much as I loved Ellie and everything, I always felt like such a third wheel when I was with her and one of her hookups. Her interest in boys may change, but I stayed the same. I was there when they came into her life, and I was there when she kicked them out. I suppose you could say I was a loyal friend. I closed my eyes as I ran my fingers through my long black hair.

Ellie’s voice interrupted my thoughts then. “Bri, are you alive?” she asked.

“Hmm? Oh, yeah, sorry—what?” I replied.

“I got you fries, now lets go sit down.” She chirped happily grabbing Darrel’s arm and leading him to a nearby table. I followed as usual, and sat down next to Ellie. Darrel smiled at her, then turned to a guy who’d just walked up to the table.

“Hey man!” he said cheerfully.

“What’s going on?” The guy smirked,

“Nothing, really,” he said in a deep soothing voice. “Going for a smoke, then taking the rest of the afternoon off.” He continued. “Care to join?”

Darrel’s eyes shifted to Ellie and then back to the guy's. “Kinda' busy man.” He chuckled. “Axel, this is my girlfriend Ellie, and this is…”

“Brielle.” I spoke up then, as if he’d forgotten my name.

“Yeah..” Darrel continued. “Girls, this is Axel.”

Axel spoke then, “Hey Ellie” he started. Then his grey-eyed gaze met mine. “Brielle.”

I smiled halfheartedly and shifted my gaze out the window.

“Well, I gotta' get going.” Axel said turning to Darrel. He leaned closer to him and mumbled, “By the way, great catch man.”

My teeth clenched, what a flirt! And he thought I couldn’t hear. Bullshit! I hated guys like that. The ones that talked about Ellie like she was just a piece of meat, or any girl for that matter. They just pissed me off. I watched a dead brown leaf fall from a large tree in the schoolyard. I couldn’t help but think though, Axel was quite good looking, He was tall with shaggy black hair and piercing grey eyes. He was wearing a leather jacket and torn skinny jeans. I mean, I’d seen him before, but never really been able to put a name to his face. I bit down on the already chewed nail of my index finger. Well one thing was for sure, I knew he was a complete and total asshole.