Status: Short Story; all done. Still, comments are appreciated.

Secrets and Sundresses

Part One

“Darling, hurry up! We’re going to be late for the Clam Bake. Your sundress is on your bed.” Sophie nodded, smiling at her parents as she scurried up the stairs. She listened to the mindless chatter of her parents as she slid into the bright orange dress that fell just below her knees. Walking over to her vanity she saw her reflection in the mirror. Hollow. Empty. Fake. Loose brown curls framed her face and dark makeup hid her sullen eyes.

“Smile.” She whispered, slapping on her best smile. Sophie smiled a toothy grin that would please her parents. “Excellent.” She mouthed, slipping a Ziploc bag into the pocket of her dress. Running down the stairs, she was greeted by her mother in beige pants and a cashmere sweater and her father in a navy suit.

“You look gorgeous sweetheart. Orange really is your color.” Her father gushed, pecking her on the cheek.

“Yes, yes enough. Please, the car is running. Paul is already in the car.” Her mother sighed at saying Paul’s name. The eclectic group of three filed into the silver Mercedes Benz sitting in their driveway. The adults took the two front seats, while Sophie sat herself in the backseat next to her brother Paul. Paul was Sophie’s twin, both were seventeen. There was only one recognizable difference between them.

Paul had his freedom.

He was wearing a collared shirt and khaki pants, his headphones blaring in his ears. He looked up at Sophie who was now beside him and he feigned a smile and then returned to hanging his head low. Sophie sighed; she wasn’t allowed to have an iPod. Paul was the rebel in the family; Paul was the disappointment, the let down. Sophie was destined to carry out the tradition of the Harlem family classiness.

They pulled into the country club and the family left the car, handing the keys to the valet parking the cars. The country club was not unfamiliar to the Harlem family. Henry, Sophie’s father, played golf while Josephine, Sophie’s mother, was a local to the tennis courts. Paul and Sophie were merely subjects to the far too frequent social gatherings the club offered.

“Children, be good. Behave and make me proud.” Josephine said, looking directly at Paul. The family went their separate ways, Josephine with the ladies, Henry with the men, Paul back out to the car, and Sophie to the bathroom. Snaking her way through the crowds of gabbing business owners and classy seniors she found the bathroom in the back of the hall. Wrapping her fingers around the door handle she slipped inside. Dammit she thought. Charlie Jacobs was washing her hands in the sink next to hers.

“Sophie!” Charlie smiled, wrapping her arms around Sophie. “Good to see you!”

“Same to you! We really should catch up!” Sophie replied equally cheerful.

“Definitely, I’ll meet you at the buffet in twenty, I really need to take care of something.” She flashed a bright white smile.

“Great because I desperately need to freshen up!”

“Kisses.” They both said, placing an air kiss on each others cheeks. “Bye!” Sophie waited until Charlie had left to lock the door of the bathroom and pull her Ziploc bag of Crystal Meth from her dress pocket.
♠ ♠ ♠
I made this up very spur of the moment, tell me what you think!