Status: Short Story; all done. Still, comments are appreciated.

Secrets and Sundresses

Part Four

“You don’t know?!” Annabelle cried. She was wrapping her arms around her pregnant best friend, Caroline.

“No! What should I do?” She sobbed.

“Honey I’d love to help you but I need to be at the coffee house in twenty minutes.” Annabelle pleaded.

“Go! I won’t let you miss this opportunity just for some ho like little old me!” She sobbed.

“I’m not leaving you. You’re coming with me. Listening to relaxing poetry at a Starbucks will definitely cheer you up!” Caroline still looked unsure.

“The baby will still be here tomorrow, putting off your decision can’t hurt that much.” Annabelle smiled. “I’ll buy you hot chocolate!”

“Hot chocolate!” Caroline screamed running into a stall and throwing up her clams. Annabelle rushed over to hold back her hair and pat her on the back.

“You’re okay sweetie. You’re okay.” Annabelle cooed.

“I. Hate. Clams.” She said, her eyes watering. When she was finished she sunk back onto the floor. “I’ll go. I’d rather go than stay here.”

“Great!” She said, giving her best friend a hug. “Give me one second.” She walked into the next stall and traded her yellow dress and brown heels for skinny jeans, a white long sleeve shirt with a black vest, a beanie and a pair of converse. Sliding out of the stall she pulled her long, bright red hair out of a bun and let it fall around her face.

“You look delightfully poetic. Can we go before I feel the urge to puke again?” Caroline whined.

“Yes. Let’s go.’ I picked her up and we snuck out of the country club and into the summer night.

“This night is perfect.” Annabelle sighed. “Just listen! Its humid, but cool, and the frogs are just singing!”

“You are such a poet. How would I describe this night? The night I found out I was pregnant.”

“Forget that Carrie! Just succumb to the serenity of a late summer’s evening!” Annabelle spun around outside. Unlike the other Country Club girls, she had a positive outlook on life. Life was a game yet to be played, and the misfortunes of her family she’s are simply obstacles. Dragons cursing a misunderstood princess. Annabelle had loved writing since she was ten. Being seventeen her dreams were bursting from her mind and she began writing poetry.

Her mother and father did not approve. Annabelle was meant to dance ballet. When she was fifteen she broke her leg, dashing her parent’s dreams of her dancing, but encouraging her dreams of writing. There was a big argument, resulting in Annabelle running away and coming back with bright red hair and a tattoo.

“I can’t wait Anne. Your poems are amazing. I have no idea why your parents don’t like them!”

“Neither can I Caroline. Neither can I.”

Both girls hopped into Annabelle’s car and drove off cheering into the dark of night.

***

These are the Country Club girls. These are the girls who live under a shadow, under a spotlight. These are the girls with secret lives, secrets and regrets. These are the girls that are desperately hoping to break free. Sophie is the drug addict. Charlie, who’s in an arranged marriage, has fallen with the forbidden outcast. Caroline is the pregnant girl desperately looking for a father. Annabelle is the girl who dances in rain and writes what she feels. These are the Country Club girls.

Those were their stories.
♠ ♠ ♠
I decided to close it up and make it a nice short story. Ha, nice. Use that term lightly.