Run With Me

Chapter Seven

My feet carried me back and forth as I waited for Robert. The groom brought Starlight from the stables and she pranced by his side. I gave him a small smile as he held her still whilst I stepped on.

“‘Ave a nice ride, Miss.” He patted Starlight’s neck and hurried back to the stable.

I guided Starlight into the shade of a large oak tree and relaxed in the saddle, waiting. I did not have to wait long before I saw Robert’s familiar horse trotting up the road. Starlight snorted and we moved forwards to greet them.

“Good morning Adeline.” Robert smiled.

“And to you.” I returned his smile. “So where are we going today?”

“Perhaps towards the lake.” Robert glanced across the fields and then turned to me. “I assume you haven’t been there since you stopped riding?” I nodded slowly. “Well, to the lake!”

He pushed his horse into a canter and Starlight eagerly followed. We rode in silence through the plush countryside. We were about to turn from the road onto the grass towards the lake when we heard a cry behind.

“Miss Adeline!”

I pulled Starlight to a halt and turned. Oscar and Julia were riding towards us. I glanced at Robert who stared at them with a blank face.

“Miss Adeline,” Julia smiled widely when we met. “We were just riding to ask you to come out with us.” She looked over at Robert. “But it seems you are already in company.”

“We were heading towards the lake. You could join us if you want.” I smiled back at her and turned to Robert. “Could they?”

He nodded mutely, his dark eyes taking in everything.

“Excellent.” Oscar moved his horse next to Starlight and we set off again.

“How have you been faring Mister Marcheford?” I asked as we walked along.

“Oh quite well. Mother has been quite busy talking amongst the other women in society, has she not Julia?”

“Lord yes. And taking me with her wherever and whenever she chooses.” Julia sighed.

I smiled knowingly at her, “I understand completely.”

“Shall we?” Robert cut in. Before anyone had a chance to reply he had pushed his horse into a canter once again. I quickly followed and Oscar and Julia right behind.

It was not long before we reached the large lake. Robert dismounted quickly and moved to my side. His hands grasped my waist firmly as he helped me down from Starlight’s back. We led the horses to the shade where they fell to eating the green grass.

“This is a very pretty place indeed.” Julia gushed as she walked to the water’s edge. “Do you come here often Miss Adeline?”

“I did, when I was younger.” I turned to Robert and smiled, remembering the hours we had spent here as young children. “Didn’t we?”

“Just the two of you?” Oscar asked as he dipped his fingers into the water.

“Oh no, we would have great picnics here. All of our friends would join us for an afternoon, or a day, however long we chose…” My voice trailed off and we all fell silent.

“I think it sounds a lovely idea.” Julia said. “I think we should have one. Soon.”

I nodded eagerly. “Yes. Tomorrow I say.” I looked at them. “Would that be agreeable?”

“Yes!” Julia was becoming more and more excited by the idea. “When we get home I shall tell Mother.”

“And I’ll tell Mama, she’ll have the whole party organized before dinner.” I laughed quietly. I sat on the ground, longing to remove my shoes and stockings the way I used to when I was younger and dangle my feet in the cool water of the lake.

Robert sat next to me, and as if he were teasing me for not being able to, he immediately did just that. He sighed as his naked feet entered the water and closed his eyes. A small smiled spread his lips as he tilted his face to the sky.

“It’s just the day for it isn’t it?” Oscar commented as he sat next to me and copied Robert. I lay back on the soft grass and stared at the moving clouds. Julia sighed contentedly as she too lay down. Robert glanced down at me and I smiled. I felt his fingers brushed lightly against my hand and I shivered.

“Cold again?” Oscar laughed. “Honestly Miss Adeline, it is quite warm out.”

I laughed quietly and pointed up at the clouds. “That one looks like a teacup.”

Robert lay back, his arm pressed against mine, and looked up where I was pointing. “No it doesn’t Adeline. It looks more like a ball.”

“I think they all look like balls personally.” Julia interjected. “Big balls of white clouds.”

“Oh Julia you have no imagination.” Oscar chided. He lay back and studied the sky. “See, that one looks like a dog.”

“It does too.” I exclaimed. “Well done Mister Marcheford.”

“I don’t see it.” Julia said petulantly. “Do you Mister Leighton?”

“Yes, I see it.”

“Well I think you are all making it up to tease me.”

We fell silent, staring up at the clouds moving slowly across the blue sky. Robert’s fingers curled around mine and I tilted my head to look at him. His dark eyes stared back and I gave a small smile. His thumb stroked my hand and I closed my eyes. The four of us lay in silence for quite some time, the warm sun shining down through the sparse clouds.

“I think it might be time for us to leave.” Julia murmured dreamily.

“Mmm.” I replied. I removed my hand from Robert’s and sat up. Oscar and Robert quickly replaced their boots and we walked over to the horses. Robert helped me up into the saddle whilst Oscar did the same for Julia. We rode along quietly until Oscar and Julia left for their home.

“I’ll send you news tonight of what Mother says about our picnic tomorrow.” Julia waved as they rode away.

“They are quite nice are they not?” I asked Robert as we allowed our horses to amble along.

“Yes.” He replied. He edged his horse closer to Starlight and reached for my hand. “But I would far rather have spent my time with only you.” His voice was husky and I pulled my hand away.

“Not now Robert, there are people who could see us.” I glanced around as we entered Papa’s estate.

“There are people who could see us?” Robert asked incredulously. “You didn’t seem to mind when we were at the lake.” His voice grew louder and a few workers close by glanced over at us.

“Robert please,” I lowered my gaze and fiddled with Starlight’s mane.

“Robert please what?” I could hear the anger growing in his voice. He stopped his horse and stared at me. I looked up at him and then away again. He sighed impatiently. “Never mind Miss Adeline.” Robert turned his horse and kicked it roughly. They were gone before I could call out.

I quickly wiped at my eyes and pushed Starlight forwards towards home.