Poise and Rationality

It's Fine With Me, I'm Just Taking In The Scenery

I spent the night with Winter curled up to me.
She was wearing nothing but one of my t-shirts, and I was in my boxers. She was holding onto me tight, and I didn't sleep at all. All I did all night was stare at the ceiling, and then at her, thinking. I really did like her a lot. But she was so ... different. I didn't know how she worked. I had never met a girl like her before. She was compelling, but sometimes, not in the right way.
When the sun came up, she finally opened her eyes. It seemed she had no trouble sleeping at all.
"Morning, Ryan.." She stretched her arm above my head, and smiled.
"Morning.." I smiled back and kissed her lightly, before shifting more comfortably.
Things weren't supposed to be like that, though. You were supposed to wake up with the girl you really like, and in some cases, even love, and look at her and be happier than anything, because she was yours. You weren't supposed to wake up cold, and confused. You were supposed to wake up, look down at her, and be happy. Really happy. Why didn't I feel that?
"Wanna go make some breakfast or something?" I asked her. She nodded, and we headed over to the kitchen.
I thought I heard something coming from behind the kitchen door, but I probably just left the window open or something, so I didn't think anything of it. I opened the door.
And Jacky was sitting on the counter, eating pancakes.
"Jacky!?"
"Oh, hey Ryan!" She put down her fork and pushed herself off the counter. "I just got back last night and came to see you!" She grinned.
I stared at her, pretty much at a loss for words.
"I missed you." She continued.
Winter was standing behind me. I could practically feel the confused looks she was shooting at my back.
"Um, I missed you too..." I walked into the room and sat down.
"Oh, hey Winter." Jacky said in a sickly sweet voice. I rolled my eyes.
"Hi..." Winter said quietly, sitting down beside me. I grabbed her hand and laced her fingers through mine.
"Ryan, you're out of pancake mix."
I looked around my kitchen, at the empty box, and the empty bowl where the batter had been. "I can see that."
"Yup, so if you want pancakes, you're gonna have to get more mix all by yourself. Sorry."
I shrugged. "Fair enough."
I could see Jacky eyeing Winter(and her lack of clothing). She looked confused, but not disgusted or angry.
Winter was looking around with wide eyes. She knew Jacky didn't really like her all that much.
"You know what, Jacky.."
She looked over at me. "Hmm?"
"I'll go get some pancake mix. But you owe me."
"Why? It's for you!" She insisted.
"Bull shit. You're the one that's gonna be eating the pancakes, not me."
"...True." She sighed in defeat. "I'll just... do your laundry or something."
"Deal."
Winter looked at me, confused. "Am I coming...?"
"Well, I won't be long." I said. "You could just stay here with Jacky. You guys could talk."
She narrowed her eyes. 'Ryan, this isn't a good idea...' I heard her mutter, but I ignored it.
"I'll be back, in like ten minutes, okay?" I got up, and headed to the door.
As I passed Jacky, I hissed under my breath "Be nice", and left.
--
After I left, chaos ensued.
Winter and Jacky went to go do my laundry, while Jacky asked questions.
"Do you really like Ryan?"
"Yeah, I do."
"Do you plan on dumping him?"
"No..."
"Are you going to treat him well?"
"Well, I'll do my best."
"...Fair enough."
Winter was sitting on the dryer, while Jacky was throwing my clothes into the washing machine.
"Be right back...Can you put the laundry detergent in?" Jacky left.
"Um, sure..."
That's when things went bad.
Apparently, Winter put too much laundry detergent in, or something like that. Jacky came back into the room, they started the washing machine, and thought nothing of it.
About the time that the foam started seeping out from the machine, was about the time I got home.
I walked in to the kitchen, and they weren't there. So I went to the laundry room.
The floor was flooded with soapy foam.
Winter was sitting on the dryer, giggling, while Jacky was sitting in the bubbles, panicking, and trying to make them go away.
"What the hell did you do!?"
"RYAN! SHE BROKE YOUR HOUSE!" Jacky whined, pointing at my girlfriend.
"WHAT?!" Winter kicked bubbles at Jacky. "NO, I did not! It wasn't my fault!"
"Yes, it was. I leave the room for two seconds, and then the room is getting filled with bubbles!"
"Okay, everyone just... calm yourselves..."
Jacky through an arm full of foam at Winter.
"You guys! It isn't a big deal! Don't get angry!" I sighed, trying to think of a way to make all the foam go away.
"She's mean..." Winter sighed.
"Yeah, you get used to it. If you're gonna be in Ryan's life, I'm always gonna be here."
"Then I guess I'll have to get used to it." Winter crossed her arms. "I intend on being in Ryan's life for a long time."
I smiled to myself.
"...You really like him, don't you?"
Winter nodded slowly. "Yeah, I do."
Jacky looked from me, to her. "Then, I guess, you're cool with me."
Winter tilted her head. "Huh?"
"If you really care about Ryan, then there must be something good in you."
Winter tilted her head.
"And I want him to be happy. Always."
I smiled at the scene playing out in front of me. My two favorite girls in the world, weren't dying to tear at each other's throats, and I had both of them in my life.
Even though there was, you know, soap all over my floor, I was really happy. I had everything I needed, and I planned on keeping it that way.
--
We started cleaning the foam up, when the door opened, yet again.
"...What... the hell... did you guys do?"
I looked up from my place on the ground, with a towel in hand. Brendon was looking down at us.
"...Why does everyone think they can just randomly waltz into my house!? Have you ever heard of privacy!?" I sighed, running my fingers through my hair, adjusting the way it kept falling into my eyes. I really hoped I didn't get bubbles in my hair.
"Well, have you ever heard of locking your door, or better yet, not giving your friends spare keys?" Brendon grinned, and set his keys down on the dryer.
I sighed.
"But in all seriousness, what did you do?"
"Who says I did this!?"
"Um, no one, but seeing as your pretty little girlfriend is here..." Brendon 'coughed'. I rolled my eyes.
"You're just so funny."
"I know, I'm a riot.." Brendon walked over to the kitchen, and proceeded to make popcorn.
I should really think before I give friends spare keys to my house...
"We're almost all cleaned up..." Jacky sighed, pushing the towel around the floor. Winter wasn't really helping much at all, but I don't think anyone really cared.
"Yeah..."
"I'm gonna get off the dryer. It's hot." Winter got down, and left the room. Once she was gone, Jacky smiled to herself.
"What?" I asked.
"She's different. Like you." She shrugged. "I think it could work."
I tilted my head. "...Oh..."
"So, what went on while I was gone?"
"Nothin really. I spent a lot of time with her..."
"I can see that. You know, with the whole, her randomly being there this morning, without any pants on..."
"Yeah, it's not what you think."
"Oh, I think my little Ryan is all grown up!"
I rolled my eyes. "Jacky, where have you been all my life if you think that that's just happening now?"
"Oh, so it did happen?"
"No. I swear. We just slept. She just got comfortable. Nothing happened."
I don't know really why I was so determined to make sure she didn't think Winter and I had done it. I just was.
"Whatever you say..." She stood up. "Well, I think we're done here..."
I nodded. "Why exactly did my washing machine start foaming in the first place...?"
"Uh yeah, Winter like... used her magic powers and ... I don't know..."
I laughed, and lifted myself to my feet. "I truly missed you Jacky."
"I missed you too." She smiled at me, and we left to go find Brendon and Winter.
--
Brendon and Jacky stayed for a couple more hours.
Jacky was mostly just eating my food, and watching my TV.
Brendon was doing both of these things, and also, staring at my girl. I don't know if he meant anything by it, and I don't know if he wanted her or anything, but it still made me extremely nervous. I didn't like it.
They finally left, a few hours later, and Winter and I were alone again.
"Well, I should probably get going too..." She said, as she gathered up her things.
"Alright, if you have to..." I ran my fingers through my hair, shaking it from my eyes.
She started getting dressed. "I had a good time today..."
I smiled. "I'm glad."
"Ryan..." She turned and looked at me. "I really do like you a lot."
"I like you a lot too." I said slowly.
"I like your friends, and your house, and .. you. I like your life."
I tilted my head.
"I like your life, and I want to be a part of it for as long as I can."
"You can be a part of it, for however long you like." I assured her, taking her hands.
"You have no idea how much that means to me." She smiled weakly. I grinned at her, and wrapped my arms around her waist.
Jamie Jayla Kinnaird was my Winter. And, maybe someday, the two of us could be perfect together.