The Portrait from Godric's Hollow

Chapter 2

'We've seen this damn show many times already. Give me the remote.'

'Ronald! There are children around here. If you can't stop being so vulgar, I'm afraid I'm going to have to-.'

'Hermy-Own"'

'Stop it!'

'Krum calls you that.'

'He doesn't mean to, now stop it!’ and she wrenched the remote out of her stubborn husband's grasp.

The phone rang. Ron jumped to his feet, glad to have an excuse to be away from his nag of a wife.

'Hello?'

'Hey Ginny-say what?'

'HERMIONE! Harry's fainted!'

'WHAT? Is he okay now?’ And she ran in to answer her husband’s screeches.

Ron grabbed her by the hand and led her to the garden. 'But the kids!' cried Hermione, looking back. Both of them turned on the spot and vanished. An old lady on the hill stared at the startling apparition and fainted.

‘Ginny! Ginny open up!’ The bolt was drawn and the door swung open to reveal a disheveled Ginerva Potter. Her face was tear-stained and her spray of fiery hair was unceremoniously bunned up.

‘He's okay I think. He's with the doctor now,' but her quivering voice showed her distress. Ron hugged his sister tightly to comfort her. 'He'll be fine Ginny.'

Lily ran up to her mother. 'Mommy!' she wailed, 'is daddy okay? I want my daddy!' Ginny scooped her daughter up in her arms. 'Hush darling. Daddy's fine. Remember what we talked about?'

Lily cocked her head. 'Daddy's a hero!' the little girl smiled sweetly. Ginny flushed as Ron chuckled. Hermione kicked him.

Two cups of coffee and half a cake later, the bedroom door opened.” He’s okay. Just a migraine," said the wizened old doctor. Ginny paid him and ran into the room, flanked by Hermione and Ron. Harry lay in his pyjamas on the bed. His almond green eyes were open and thoughtful, but his face was still pale. There was worry written on the lines of her face as she looked at her pallid husband.

'Oh Harry!' Ginny wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed him. Ron wrenched his sister off Harry. Harry saw him bite his lip. 'I'm alright Ginny. Hello Ron. Hi Hermione.'

Hermione and Ron greeted him sombrely.

'How are you feeling?'

‘I saw him,’ he said darkly, sitting upright.

‘Who Harry,’ whispered Hermione, her voice heavy. Ron put his arm around her.

‘He's back,’ Harry said,’ Voldemort's back. I saw him! I can't believe it.'

Ginny laid her palm on his head. It wasn't hot. 'Are you okay Harry? Harry, he’s dead. He was killed remember, by his own rebounding curse. Everyone saw it.’

Harry looked into the eyes of his wife, the woman who had stood by him all these years. Once he had broken her heart, and he could not forgive himself ever. He was determined to never let her go again.

‘You're right, it was just a dream.’

Ginny smiled. Harry thought it was the most beautiful thing he had ever seen. 'Come on hero,' grinned Ron. Harry smiled sheepishly. Ginny grapsed his hand and led him out of the door into the sitting room with a cup of hot coffee. 'Daddy!' squealed Lily. She jumped on top of her father and hugged him as tightly as she could. His two best friends sat on either side of him.

But Harry could not stop the nagging voice at the back of his mind. What if he was back?