Status: Complete and edited

I Don't Want to Miss a Thing

05

After my last final, I decided to surprise Anna at school since I haven't seen her since graduation. Since it was a long ride, I called my mom and told her my plans. Of course like I though she wasn’t thrilled that I wanted to visit Sidney and then hopefully stay in Pittsburgh for a couple of days.

After about two hours I reached my destination and hailed a cab to the campus. I had gotten her dorm number from Meghan so all I needed was directions to it. When I got there, her door was opened a crack and I could hear voices coming from inside. I assumed it was the TV and decided that I was just going to barge in. Bad idea.

“Anna, you know you live outside of DC. You really should- whoa.” I walked into her room fully and saw her making out with…it couldn’t be. I stood there for a second before they realized I was standing there. Anna was the first one to spot me.

“OMG, Taylor. What are you doing here?” She asked getting off her bed and out of the guy’s arms.

“I thought I’d come and visit you before I went home. Now I see that I should have told you or at least called.” I said blushing. I looked over her shoulder to the guy sitting on her bed, he looked familiar. Then I saw the brown eyes and goofy grin. It was none other than Evgeni Malkin. I smiled and looked at Anna who was now blushing, along with Evgeni. “So how long have you two been seeing each other?” I asked, still smiling.

“Um, officially it’s been two months. We’ve been talking almost six months.” Anna said

“Well I’m really glad for you two. I knew it was bound to happen eventually.” I walked over to where Malkin was standing. “It’s good to see you again Geno.” I said giving him a hug.

“Good to see you, Taylor. Sidney know you here?” he asked pulling away.

“Nope, I’m actually heading up to see him on Christmas.”

Anna squealed from the entryway. “You’re going up there?” She asked

“Mmhm, His parents paid for my ticket and they are going to hide me.” I chuckled.

“That is just too sweet.”

“I know! I’m so excited because I haven’t seen him in a long time.” I sat next to Geno on Anna’s bed. “Geno, you can’t let it slip that I’m surprising Sidney. Staalsy is the only other person that knows. So if he finds out it’s either you or Staal I’m coming after.”

“I won’t tell.” He laughed.

“Okay Anna, we are going out and I’m buying. Where do you want to go?”

Anna picked this really cute café in town. We talked about our classes and we, well I, asked Geno about the season even though I get the DL from Sidney sometimes. Once we finished eating we headed back to Anna’s dorm to hang out more. After about an hour of hanging out Geno had to leave, so I was sitting in Anna’s dorm while she walked him to his car…and made out with him.

I couldn’t help but smile when I thought about my best friend being so happy with a guy. Plus Evgeni is probably one of the sweetest guys ever and they were perfect for each other. Well maybe not totally perfect, Anna does like to talk and Geno doesn’t know English very well. My guess is he will learn a lot more when he’s with Anna. Still sitting in Anna’s dorm alone, when ‘I got my Ruslan and my Maxie Talbie’ started playing. It was Mister Max Talbot.

“Well hello there Max.” I smiled.

“Hello Taylor. Is Geno still there?” he asked

“Um yes and no.”

“What?”

I chuckled. “He’s not in the room, he’s down in the parking lot with Anna.”

“Which explains why he didn’t answer his phone.” He chuckled. “So how are you?”

“I’m good, just visiting Anna before going home. Tomorrow I leave for Philly with my family.”

“Oh you’re going to be up in Pennsylvania tomorrow?” I knew what he was getting at.

“Max I can’t come to Pittsburgh, I’m sorry. I have to visit with my family this time. Especially since it’s my mom’s birthday this week too. I would love to come see you guys instead of my family, believe me, but I can’t.”

“Oh okay. When do you think you’ll visit us again?” He asked

“Soon.” Sooner than you think Maxie.

“That's what I like to hear." He chuckled. " Taylor, I have to go, but I promise I'll talk to you soon.”

"Okay, I'm holding you to that. I'm also counting on you to tell the rest of the guys that I said hi and that I miss them.”

“Will do. Merry Christmas, Taylor.”

"Merry Christmas, Maxie." I chuckled when he groaned.

Anna finally came back into the room and her face was flushed and she kept apologizing.

“Stop apologizing. You like and he likes you. No big deal, remember who you’re talking to here.” I laughed

“Yeah true. So how is Sid doing?” she asked

“Good I guess. I haven’t really talked to him lately.” I sighed

“Why haven’t you talked? Is something going on?”

“No nothing’s going on, it’s just that we are both really busy.” I sighed again. The idea I've been mulling over the past couple of days, suddenly sounded really good. “Anna I'm thinking about dropping out and moveing up there to be with him.”

“What?! No, you can’t. Your parents would freak and you’d be even further away from me.”

“Anna, I don’t think I can take it anymore. It’s driving me crazy not being able to see him all the time. I know that’s like gagging but it’s the truth. I stare at the pictures that I have on my nightstand. Some nights when I can’t sleep I’ll sit at my desk and look through the scrapbooks I’ve made and listen to the messages that I have saved on my phone.” I stood up and paced the length of her room. “I’m crazy aren’t I?”

“No, you’re in love.” She smiled. “And it’s the cliché in love. Tay, if you really feel this way about everything maybe you need to talk to you parents about this and then Sidney. I think you’ll be able to work through this, but if you feel you won’t be able to then do what’s best for you.”

“You are the bestest friend ever.” I said giving her a hug. “I need to go, but I’ll call you soon okay?”

“You better. You have to tell me what’s going on with you life. I really hope you get this settled and it doesn’t end up with you in Pittsburgh.”

“I can’t say that I want to stay here. If the only solution for this is moving to Pittsburgh, I’m not hesitating.”

“Yeah I kinda figured that.” She laughed. “Tell Mandy that I said hi.”

“I will. See you soon Anna. Thanks for hanging out with me today when I know you’d rather be spending it with Geno.” I smiled

“Well what are best friends for?” She laughed. “Bye Tay.”

“Bye Anna.”

While I was sitting on the train home, I was trying to think of ways that our relationship would work. I was seriously going crazy not being able to see him and seeing him in the computer screen and occasionally the television screen wasn’t helping. I was so happy to be in college and let alone the University of Virginia, but I wasn’t truly enjoying it. I didn’t really go to parties because I was only eighteen and I really don’t want to deal with drunk teenagers. Sure I had friends and I hung out with them, but there was just something missing. I would sit out on the rotunda some afternoons and find myself staring at the couples there, jealous. After that happened a few times I realized what was missing. My boyfriend.

I groaned and slammed my head into the seat.

“Um are you okay?” the guy next me asked.

I blushed and looked over at him. “Yeah sorry, I was just thinking about something.”

“Oh mind if I ask?”

“I guess not. I was just thinking about school and all that stuff. I was also thinking about how much I miss my boyfriend.”

“Oh, is that where you’re heading right now?” He asked.

“No actually I’m heading home for the Christmas break.” I smiled

“Where do you go to school?”

“UVA.” I still smile everytime I say the name. I really did love it there, but I didn't at the same time.

“Wow, that’s a nice school. What are you studying?”

“Um English. I want to be an elementary school teacher. The name's Taylor by the way.”

“Oh Kevin.” He smiled.

“Nice to meet you Kevin. So where are you heading if you don’t mind me asking.”

“Going to visit my sister and her fiancée.”

“That’s nice. Is she older or younger?”

“Younger.”

“I have a younger sister too.”

Kevin and I talked the entire trip to the Fredericksburg station. I told him about my plans to drop out of school to live with my boyfriend. He, being a nice guy, tried to talk me out of it. I told him I would think about it more and in return he told me that our relationship would work out because his worked. His fiancé is overseas right now and they’ve been together for years. I shook my head in amazement, whenever I think about my relationship with Sidney and how I don’t like the distance no once did the men and women overseas and their families cross my mind. And those people had way more distance between them then a couple of hours.

When the train pulled into the station I said farewell to my new buddy and headed towards my family. The drive back to the house was full of me filling them in on how school was. I decided that I'd talk to my parents about dropping out later and just enjoyed being with them.

Later that night I went and sat on my parents’ bed where my mom was watching television.

“Mom, can I talk to you?” I asked sitting on dad’s side.

“Sure Taylor, what’s up?” She said muting the TV

I didn’t know how to tell her that I wanted to drop out of a really great school to move to another state to live with my boyfriend of six months. I took a deep breath and just told her.

“Mom, I’m thinking about dropping out of school.” I whispered.

“You’re what?!” This was from dad. Dang, I did not want to have this talk with both of them at the same time. But I’d figured that I’d be killing two birds with one stone.

“I’m thinking about dropping out of school.” I repeated. “But not totally.” I added

“What does that mean?” my mom asked.

I took another deep breath. “I’m thinking about transferring."

“To where?” My dad asked

“Um, Pitt?” Why was I so unsure about this? I saw the look that passed between mom and dad and I knew they understood what I meant. Dad got up and squeezed my shoulder before walking out, leaving mom and I alone.

“Taylor, does this transfer have anything to do with Sidney?” I just gave her a look that she clearly understood. “Right, stupid question. Sweetie, what’s going on?”

I felt the tears streaming down my face. “Mom, I can’t stand being away from him. I’ve been going absolutely crazy these past couple of months.” I sniffled. “I know this is going to sound sad, but just seeing him on the TV drives me nuts. I feel like they are teasing me. I need to know what is going on with me.”

My mom chuckled, but sighed sadly. She motioned for me to sit next to her. I snuggled into her side and rested my head on her shoulder. She rubbed my shoulder and down my arm.

“Sweetie, “She said quietly. “Don’t throw your life away for some guy. Don’t be like me, don’t do this to yourself. You’re a smart girl and you know that this isn’t going to solve any problems.”

“I know that mom, but the only other way I can get through this is to break up with him and that’s going to kill me even more. I love him.”

“Do you really love him?”

I nodded. “Yeah I do.”

“Do you really think moving up to Pittsburgh will help?”

“Honestly I don’t know, but I think it might be worth a shot.”

“What if you don’t get into Pitt?”

“I can go to community college.” Yeah that works

“Sweetie…”

I knew that tone, it meant that I was acting childish. It also was the tone that instantly pissed me off. I have no idea why, but when she uses that tone with me I just blow.

“Mom! I’ve never felt this way about someone. It’s scaring me, the way I feel about him.” The tears were back. I was so frustrated about this entire situation.

“Oh sweetie, seeing you this way makes me think that this Christmas break will be good for you. It will help you figure all of this out. Just do me a favor and think about transferring.”

I nodded before kissing her on the cheek. “Thanks mom. I think I’m going to go call Jordan.” The look she gave me said that she didn’t understand why I needed to call Jordan. To her she thought I needed to call Sidney, but Jordan was one of his closest friends so he’d be able to help me.

“Hello?” A familiar voice answered.

“Hey Tanger, where’s Jordan?” I asked

“Um, he’s with Victoria.”

He did not need to tell me twice what that meant. “Well than do you have a second to talk?”

“Yeah sure, what’s up?”

It was a little weird talking to Kris about my feelings for his captain/teammate/friend. Kris and I were never close when we first met, but now we talk all the time. I knew that I could trust him with whatever I told him. He and the rest of the guys were all like big brothers to me. It was comforting to know that I could go to anyone of them for help. I took a deep breath.

“So I’m thinking about transferring to Pitt, but I’m not really sure if I want to.” I sighed, that’s not what I was calling to talk about. Ugh, ‘just tell him’ I told myself. I released the breath that I was holding. “That’s not what I wanted to talk about. The real thing that I’m trying to say it that I am so confused about my feelings for Sid.” There, it was out.

“Why are you confused?” He asked, clearly smiling. “Tay, 'e’s so in love with you it’s actually sickening. You don’t see the way 'is face lights up when 'e talks to you or gets a text. The 'ole not talking thing is bothering 'im too. But don’t worry, Christmas break is this week and you guys will 'ave more time to talk.”

“Yeah I know, but…I don’t know.” I sighed.

“No buts, you love 'im. Tell me what 'as you so worried and thinking about moving up 'ere, not that would be a bad thing.” He chuckled.

“Kris, I seriously don’t know what’s bothering me. All I know is that when I see him on TV or on the computer I smile and then I get so upset because I can’t be there with him. I miss him so much, I haven’t seen him since he came down in September.” I growled in frustration. “I need to see him, God I can’t wait until tomorrow.”

“What’s happening tomorrow? Are you going to see him?”

Shit. “Um, not tomorrow.”

“'Not tomorrow' indicates that you will indeed be seeing 'im.” He pushed

“First off, why the hell are you talking like that?” He chuckled softly. “Second, yes I’m going to see him on Christmas. His parents are flying me up.” I couldn’t stop the smile that crossed my face.

“Well 'e’ll be so surprised to see you.” I heard Kris’ phone go off. “Taylor, I have to go. If you do plan on transferring up 'ere let me know.”

“I will, oh and Tanger. Don’t tell Sidney that I’m visiting or I’ll make it so you’ll never be able to play hockey or have some fun with puck bunnies if you know what I mean.” I heard his chuckle. “Also I was wondering if you could snag me a ticket for the New Year’s dinner/party.”

“You’re coming?! Yeah sure I will.”

“Yes, but again don’t tell Sidney. I’m hoping he’ll ask me to go with him when I see him.”

“I promise I won’t tell. Bye Taylor.”

“See ya Kris.”

I felt a lot better finally talking to someone other than my family about this. It was nice to hear that I wasn’t going crazy about this whole situation. I went to my room and began to repack my bag for my trips. I had a brand new dress that I was planning on wearing at Sidney’s house on Christmas and I also had an older one for the New Year’s party. Taylor had told me I was staying with them when I got there and then on Christmas I was going to hide in her room until Sidney showed up. With my bag packed I plugged my phone in and fell asleep instantly.
♠ ♠ ♠
Edited