Status: Complete and edited

I Don't Want to Miss a Thing

08

I woke up on Christmas morning to loud Christmas music playing and my phone buzzing uncontrollably. I grabbed it before it could fall off the arm of the futon and onto Mandy’s head. I opened it and saw that I had nine unread text messages from the guys, Vero, Anna, and Katie all wishing me a Merry Christmas. I had a text message from Taylor telling me that she couldn’t wait to see me today and that Sidney’s plane was scheduled to land sometime this morning. I quickly responded to all the Christmas wishes and then sent Taylor a response.

Now Christmas as an eighteen year old is different that Christmas as an eight year old. As a kid I would wale up really early and be all excited. Mandy and I would be fidgeting in our seats as we waited to open our presents. Now I look at the wrapped gifts and shrug. I just don’t get as excited as I use to. Though today is a little different, I look at the clock and beg it to move faster because I just want to go see Sidney. We decided to eat breakfast before we did presents and I wasn’t going to complain because we were having Grandpa’s famous French toast again.

Once breakfast was cleaned up, we started opening presents. As I was about to open the one Aunt Jean was giving me, I heard my phone go off. I quickly pulled it out of its hiding spot between the couch cushions and saw that it was a text from Taylor.

Change of plans. Call me ASAP.

I quickly dialed her number and sat back on the couch. What could have gone wrong?

“Taylor, what happened?” I asked as soon as she answered the phone.

“Um, Sidney and dad are on their way over here. I’m trying to get dad to just take him to his house, but apparently Sidney is insisting that he comes over here and spends the entire day with us.” She took a deep breath.

“Taylor, why is that a problem? He’ll leave eventually won’t he?” I asked

“Nope.”

“Crap. Okay so what are we going to have to do?”

“Well I was thinking that I could take Sid down to the park and play some hockey with him while dad picks you up. The only down side is I don’t know how long that will work.”

“That might work, but I have a better idea. You’re house has a back entrance right?” I asked, trying to picture the Crosbys’ home.

“Yeah.”

“Okay so, I’ll have your dad go in through the back and then I’ll wait a little while before ringing the doorbell. You’ll be in charge of getting Sidney to open the door.”

“OMG, that would be the perfect way. How will I know when you get there though?” She asked clearly smiling.

“I’ll text you when we get close.”

“Okay. I can’t wait until you get here. I have to go help mom with dinner. I’ll see you later Taylor. Merry Christmas.”

“Merry Christmas Taylor, and thanks for making this work.”

“Sorry about that guys, just trying to fix some kinks in my Christmas present.” I said to my family as I put my phone on the table.

“You’re going to Sidney’s house?” My grandmother asked in horror.

“Yeah, I haven’t seen him in almost three months and it’s Christmas. I’d like to spend my first Christmas with my boyfriend, actually with him.” I said opening the gift that was sitting in my lap.

“Does you mother know about this?”

“No, I planned it all behind her back.” I rolled my eyes. “Yes grandma she knows. She and daddy are taking me to the airport.”

“Sarah, you are letting your daughter travel that far?” My grandmother turned her views to my mom. I shot her an apologetic look because I knew she was going to get this for a while today, even after I’m gone she’s going to get it.

My mom rolled her eyes and answered her mother. Grandpa leaned over to me and whispered to me. “Are you really going up to Canada?” he asked

“Yeah, his parents are flying me up this afternoon.” I smiled. “I’m surprising him if you didn’t know from the phone call.”

“You are really into him aren’t you?” he ask, seriously

“Yes I am. I’m more than really into him. I love him.”

He chuckled and hugged me. “You know she’s just freaking out because you are growing up.” He said referring to my grandmother who was now sitting in her chair wringing her hands.

“It was bound to happen someday. I can’t be little forever, I’m eighteen.” I sighed

“Yes, but you are the oldest. It makes your family around you seem old.”

I laughed and hugged my grandpa. “Oh Grandpa, you’re not old.” I kissed him on the cheek.

“And that is why you’re my favorite.” He winked

“Hey!” Mandy yelled, throwing a pillow at him. Which he threw right back at her and hit her square in the face causing all of us to laugh.

Later that afternoon my aunt, uncle, and cousin showed up and we had round two of Christmas. Finally it was time for me to start getting ready for my trip to Cole Harbour. I quickly jumped in the shower and got ready. I was going to straighten my hair, but decided against it because I don’t remember the last time I’ve seen Sidney with my hair down and its natural curls. I put the dress that I was going to change into, in my carry on bag because I was going to change into it at the airport. Before leaving my room I double checked to make sure that I had everything.

“All right guys, I’ll see you soon.” I said as I walked out into the living room.

“Taylor, where are you going?” My cousin asked me.

“I’m going over to Sidney’s house. You remember my boyfriend Sidney right?” I asked her

“Yea, but we just got here.”

“I know, but I have to catch a plane. Next time I’m up here maybe we can have another sleep over.”

“Okay.”

“Taylor, are you ready to go?” My dad asked, walking through the front door.

“Yep.” I gave everyone hugs and kisses, telling them that I’ll see them soon.

As mom, dad, and I drove to the airport I was suddenly very excited. I was finally getting to see Sidney after three long months. Mom was a bit more understanding about the need for this trip than dad was because mom and I had that talk in her room the other day. Dad had kinda flipped shit when I told him that I was going up to Cole Harbour to surprise my boyfriend, but mom talked to him and got him to understand. When the exit for the airport came into view my excitement doubled. I was only a few hours away from him.

“Call us when you land.” My mom said giving me a hug at the departure terminal.

“I will and thank you guys for letting me do this. I know I’ve been driving you crazy because face it, I’ve been driving myself crazy.” I laughed.

“You weren’t driving us crazy, much.” Dad said giving me a hug.

“I love you guys. I’ll see you after New Year’s.”

“Have fun and please be careful.”

“I will mom.”

I was sitting at the gate bored out of my mind when my phone buzzed. Hoping it was not Sidney. I pulled it out of my pocket and looked at the name. Vero.

“So are you there yet?” she asked

“Ah no, I’m sitting at my gate. You actually saved me from running around the airport, bored out of my mind. This is the first time that I traveled alone. Usually I have someone from my family with me.”

“Oh it’s not that bad. What time are you supposed to take off?”

“Um,” I looked at the clock above the desk. “In about half an hour.”

“That’s not to long. So Sidney told me about last night. Are you okay?”

“Yeah, I finally told my uncle and I guess he kicked him out because I didn’t see him the rest of the night.”

“Did he really try to tell you that you didn’t have a boyfriend even when you were on the phone with him?” She asked, slightly amused.

“Yea and he even tried to put moves on me.” I groaned

“Aw, well at least nothing happened. So how was your Christmas morning so far?”

“Okay, Taylor called me earlier and told me that Sidney wasn’t planning on leaving his parent’s house until after dinner. He wasn’t supposed to come over until before dinner and that was when I was going to surprise him. Why does he have to ruin everything that I try to do for him?” I asked laughing.

“Oh believe me I have no idea. Last night after the game he told me that he was thinking about going down to see you instead of going up to see his parents. Let’s just say that I got a little loud.” She chuckled.

“That’s why I love you V. Hey, can I ask you a question?”

“Of course, what’s up?”

“I’m thinking about transferring to Pitt. Do you think that would be a good idea?” I asked quietly

“Are you serious?!” She shouted. I could hear Marc in the background asking her something in French. She responded quickly before continuing our conversation. “Do I think that would be a good idea? Um, yes. Well first off, why are you thinking about this?”

“I can’t stand being away from Sidney and I’ve always wanted to move back to Pennsylvania since the day I moved away. I just figured that would be a good idea. I wouldn’t have to live on campus since he has the apartment and we would be able to spend way more time together.” The more I talked about this, the more appealing it sounded. It has been a little more than ten years since I moved to Virginia and since day one I wanted to move back to Pennsylvania. Now that I had Sidney to think about too made that just all work together. Plus Pittsburgh isn’t that far away from my family. “If I did move back up there, you and I could spend way more time together too.”

“You do not know how cool that sounds. I really think you should do it, but it’s more for selfish reasons. For real though, what have your parents said?” She asked

“Um, dad flipped and mom asked me to think about it more. The thing is though, the more I think about it the better it’s sounding. I’m going to talk to Sidney about it when I see him.”

“You know he’ll be all for it. He really misses you Taylor and I know you really miss him.”

“I know.” I smiled.

“FLIGHT 456 TO HAILFAX, CANADA IS NOW BORDING”

“Vero, I have to go. I’ll call you tomorrow.”

“Okay and let me know what he says about the college thing.” She said

“I will. Thanks for keeping me company.”

“No problem, have fun Taylor.”

“Thanks Vero.”

I turned my phone off before getting into line to board the plane. Once I found my seat , I sat there and watched the people pass me.I loved flying so I knew the butterflies that were filling my stomach had nothing to do with that and had everything to do with finally seeing Sidney.

As the plane took off I thought about how Sidney was going to react to seeing me when he opened the door. He probably was going to stand there at first not really understanding what was going on and then his beautiful brown eyes were going to sparkle as he made his way over to me. We would hug and then he would kiss me ever so softly. At that point I’d probably have tears running down my face. Then after we were inside he’d ask me what I was doing there and all these other questions. His parents and sister would also be happy to see me. I just wish the plane would go faster.

“What has you so smiley?” The little old lady who was sitting next to me asked,

I blushed slightly because I didn’t even know I was smiling. “Oh, I’m surprising my boyfriend at home.” I smiled at her.

“Oh how sweet. How long have you two been together?”

“About nine months.”

“Well he must be one special fellow for you to go all the way to Canada to see him.”

“Yes he is. He’s my first boyfriend.”

“Well congratulations dear. I can tell that you two are going to last a very long time together.” She said.

“Oh, and how do you know that?” I asked curious.

“Because I saw the way you were smiling earlier and I’m guessing you were thinking about him?” I nodded and she chuckled. “Also when you’re talking about him your eyes just light up. Another thing is you’ve worked through these very long distances for nine months. You two are going to last.” She said nodding her head.

“Well the distance isn’t that bad because he lives in Pittsburgh for most of the year and I only live four hours away. But he was born in Nova Scotia and spends a few months up there.”

“Well its all the same. You remind me of me and my husband. We dated for about three years and we were married for sixty years.” She smiled sadly.

“I’m sorry.” I whispered.

“Oh it’s quiet all right dear. They were very happy sixty years and I have many grandbabies to worry about now.”

“Oh well then I guess that’s good.”

“Mmhmm.”

She pulled out a book and I figured that was her way of politely ending the conversation, which I was more than happy to do. I just wanted to listen to my IPod and think more about moving to Pittsburgh. I must have fallen asleep because the little old lady next to me was shaking me awake. When my eyes finally opened I noticed that people were getting up. We had landed. I quickly put my IPod back into my bag and fixed my hair.

The butterflies were back as I made my way down the hallway to the terminal. I quickly looked around for directions to baggage claim, where I was supposed to meet up with Troy. Before reaching the baggage claim, I stopped in the bathroom to change into my dress and fix my hair a little more. Once I was finished, I stuffed everything into my carry-on back and headed to baggage claim. I spotted Troy as soon as I got close enough.

“Taylor.” He said giving me a hug. “You look beautiful.”

“Thank you and thank you for all of this.” I said grabbing my bag off the conveyer belt.

“No problem, we were more than happy to help. Apparently Sidney really misses you and Trina was just looking for an excuse to get you back up here.” He said with a laugh.

“Well what can I say, I’m just amazing.” We both laughed as we headed to the car. I turned my phone on and saw that I had a few missed texts from Sidney and at least one missed call from him. “He was trying to get a hold of me.” I chuckled

“How many times?” Troy asked

“Just three texts and one call.”

“Call him back."

“Nah, it will make this so much better if I haven’t talked to him in a couple of hours.”

“You are so mean sometimes.” Troy teased. When I first met Troy and Trina Crosby I was scared to death that they weren’t going to like me, especially Troy. He seems to think that Sidney doesn’t have the time for a girlfriend, but he told Sidney that he likes me and Sidney told me that that was a very rare thing for his father to like the girl he was seeing. Trina on the other hand fell right in love with me the minute Sidney had told her that he had a girlfriend.

The car ride to the house was a quiet one, occasionally Troy would ask me about school and other things. Other than that it was pretty quiet. I watched the scenery go by and thought some more about moving to Pittsburgh for good. I knew I was thinking about it a lot, but it’s a pretty big deal to just drop what I’m doing and move back home.

“How much longer until we get to the house?” I asked still looking out the window.

“About ten more minutes, why?”

“Because I told Taylor that I would text her. That way she can make sure that Sidney is the one to open the door.”

Troy laughed. “Did Taylor tell you that her grandmothers where going to be there?”

What? More family I had to meet? Well he did meet almost my entire family so I guess it was only fair. “Um, no she didn’t. I won’t be a problem will I?”

“Of course not, trust me if you were we wouldn’t have flown you up here.”

“Okay, if you’re sure.”

“Taylor, it will be fine. Don’t worry about it.”

I sent Taylor a text telling her that we were about ten minutes away and to make sure her brother was ready for me. She responded with a simple ‘yay’. Then I remembered that I was supposed to call my parents. I quickly dialed my mom’s cell number.

“Hey baby girl. How was your flight?” she asked

“It was good. I just wanted to let you know that I landed and that I’m on my way over to his parents’ house now.” I told my mom

“Okay. I love you Taylor.”

“Love you too mom. Say hi to everyone for me.”

“I will.”

Finally we reached the house and I was very excited. Troy got out with a chuckle and promised me that he would keep his cool when he walked it. I had to sit in the car for about five minutes, just to make it seem like I didn’t show up with his dad. Taylor texted me telling me that I should come to the door now. Before getting out of the car I checked my makeup and hair and then took a deep breath. I got out of the car and quickly sent Taylor a text telling her that I was walking to the door. I noticed the curtains in the living room move and I saw Taylor standing there smiling at me. I laughed and waved to her before reaching the door. I took another deep breath and pressed the door bell. I heard Taylor yell for Sidney to get the door and then I heard Sidney respond like any other big brother would.

I held my breath as I heard the locks being undone and then the door handle turning. I lifted my eyes from my feet to the opening door. There he stood, wearing my favorite pink dress shirt and dark washed jeans. His eyes traveled up and down my body and back to my face. My eyes locked with those beautiful brown eyes of his and I felt my knees go week and tears burn my eyes. Three months was way to long to not see him in person.

“Hi.” I whispered.

“What are you doing here?” He asked stepping onto the porch with me.

“I thought I’d come and surprise you.” I stepped closer to him. “Merry Christmas Sidney.”

“This is one of the best Christmas presents ever.” He wrapped his arms around my waist and pulled me into him. “So how long are you here ‘til?”

“Um, until you go back home and then I was wondering if I could go back with you.”

“Of course you can. The apartment is very lonely without you.” He hugged me closer and rested his head onto of mine. “Come on let’s go inside. I know Taylor is probably dying to see you.”

I was a little disappointed that he didn’t kiss me, but got over it quickly when I remembered that I was spending a couple of days with him and there would be plenty of time for kissing. When we walked inside there voices coming from the living room.

“Sidney, who was at the door?” Trina called

“Oh no one. Just some strange person.” He answered and then chuckled at my face. I slapped him in the chest and walked into the living room.

“TAYLOR!” Trina yelled as I walked in. “Isn’t this wonderful surprise.” She winked as she gave me a hug.

“Mom, did I just hear you call my name?” Taylor asked walking around the corner and the she spotted me. “Taylor, OhMyGod what are you doing here?”

“I’d thought I’d come and surprise Sidney.” I smiled and gave her a hug.

“You know you guys suck at lying.” Sidney said walking into the living room. “Mom you knew she was coming didn’t you?”

“Yes dear I did, she called Taylor after you went to visit her and the two of them came up with this idea. Though you did mess it up, but just a little bit.” She said

“What? How did I mess it up?”

“Because you weren’t supposed to come over until about now and then I was going to just randomly show up at the dinner table.” I said wrapping my arm around his waist. “But no worries, I liked it better this way.”

“Me too.” He said pulling me into his side kissing my temple.

“Everyone, dinner will be ready in about ten minutes.” Trina called before walking into the kitchen.

“Trina, do you need help with anything?” I asked

“Not at all dear. Go spend some time with my son.” She smiled over at me.

While we waited for dinner to finish, Sidney introduced me to his grandmothers. They were two of the sweetest women in the world. Once dinner was done, we all sat at the table and I was the topic of discussion. Everyone wanted to know how school was going and how my family was doing. Troy tried to ask Sidney about the beginning of the season, but each time Trina or even his own mother hushed him. When we finished dinner I helped with the dished and talked to Sidney’s mom a little more.

When the dishes were finished we all sat in the living room and talked some more. Sidney and I were sitting on the loveseat holding hands and just listening to what was being said around us.

“Oh Taylor, I have a present for you.” Taylor said jumping up from her spot. “It’s upstairs.”

“Okay. Oh I have one for her too. Sidney would you mind going to get my suitcase out of your dad’s car?” I asked.

“Why do you need the whole thing?” He asked standing up.

“Well I don’t I guess. Can you just grab the plastic bag that is tucked in there?”

He leaned down and kissed my forehead. “Sure thing.”

“Thank you.”

Taylor came back down and handed me a box with a ribbon on it. I slipped the ribbon off and ripped through the paper. I gasped when I saw the beautiful picture frame with a bunch of pictures from my summer with them. There were pictures of just me, of me and Sidney, pictures of Sidney looking at me when I didn’t realize, those ones were my favorites because I could see the way he looks at me like everyone else dose. There were also pictures of me and Taylor laughing at Sidney, and there was a picture of the entire Crosby family that I took.

“Taylor, this is beautiful. Thank you so much. I’m going to hang it in my dorm room when I get back.” I got up and gave her a hug. “I have a gift for you too. Sidney is getting it for you now.”

“You didn’t have to get me anything.” She said

“And neither did you, but I wanted to because you’ve helped me a lot." Just then Sidney came back inside.

“Here you go Tay. Took me forever to find.” He laughed

“Sorry, I just kinda threw everything in there.”

“What’s in here anyway? I thought it was going to be heavy, but it’s not.”

“Don’t worry about it and just hand me the bag.”

He did and I went through the gifts that I had in there. I pulled all four of them out and looked at them to make sure that I gave them the right one.

“Catch.” I said to Taylor as I threw her pillow at her.

“Trina, this one is for you.” I said handing hers to her. “And Troy this one is for you.” I said handing him his.

“Who’s the other on for?” Sidney asked, pointing to the fourth pillow at me feet.

“Oh just my boyfriend.” I smiled and threw his at his face.

“Taylor this is wonderful. Did you make this yourself?” Trina asked

“Yep. I made them one weekend when I went home. I hope you guys like them.” I blushed.

Troy laughed when he opened his. It was a simple black pillow, but I ironed on letters so it read ‘hockey dad.' “Thank you Taylor.”

“You’re welcome.”

“Taylor, how did you know my favorite color?” Taylor asked.

“Um, I did spend a week here remember? We did get to know each other.” I laughed.

“Thank you, this is so cool.”

“No problem.” I turned to see if Sidney had opened his yet. He hadn’t, he just sat there looking at me. “What?” I asked

“Nothing. You’re just amazing.” He smiled

“Aren’t you going to open yours?” I asked

“Nah, I’ll wait ‘til later.”

I shrugged and went back to talking to Taylor. About an hour later Sidney’s grandmothers left and it was just the Crosbys’ and I. Sidney claimed that he was tired and we were heading over to his place. So we said our good-byes to his family. Trina made me promise that I would come over some time soon, so I did. While I was talking to his mom, Sidney got my things out of the car and put them into his Range Rover.

“Are you ready to go?” He asked, slipping his hand around my waist.

“Yeah, are you?” I smiled up at him.

“Yep.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Edited