Status: Computer is broken. Can't update. Sorry :(

Drove All Night, I'm a Deer In Your Headlights

Chapter 6: That's Just the Way It Goes

We all rushed to the hospital to see Jack. I was so confused. I wanted to hate him, but how could I when he'd attempted suicide because of me? It sure made things harder on everyone. So I rode to the hospital with an open mind.

When we got there, we rushed to his room, which a gangly man about his age was coming out of.

"Zayden! Oh thank God. How is he?" Mom asked him.

"Not good. He just woke up and he keeps whining." the man named Zayden said, smiling feebly.

"Oh, I'm sorry. Zayden, these are my daughters, Josie and Bobbi. Girls, Zayden is your father's best friend and they're in a band together." Mom introduced.

"Nice to meet you." Bobbi said.

"Hey, I remember you guys! Aww, I haven't seen you since you were three! Josie, Jack left you at a party and he lost you, Bobbi." Zayden laughed.

"He did?" Me and Bobbi asked our mom in unison.

"Yeah." Mom sighed.

We went in then. Jack looked horrible. His hair was a wreck, he was pale and hooked up to a bunch of machines. It almost broke my heart.

"Maria? Bobbi? Josie?" he asked.

"Yeah, we're all here." Mom replied.

"God, I must be dreaming." he said groggily.

"You're not dreaming. We're really here and we're sorry." Bobbi told him.

"Girls, maybe we should let him rest and come back later." Mom suggested.

"No!" Jack said sharply, his voice cracking.

So just me and my sister stayed with him and Mom went out. He fell asleep instantly and we just sat and waited for him to wake up.

"Josie? Bobbi? You're still here? What the hell?" Jack asked groggily.

"Yeah, we're still here. Can we talk?" I asked.

"Sure!" Jack smiled, perking up.

"Okay. First off, why'd you OD?" I asked.

"I-It was an accident." he stammered.

"Dad, we're teenagers. Do you honestly expect us to believe that terrible lie?" Bobbi asked.

"No." he sighed.

"Then tell us." I pressed.

"It's bad. You can't handle it." he whispered.

"We've been abandoned and treated like crap. I think we can." I pushed. He sighed.

"Fine, I'll tell you. Well you obviously didn't want me and you're my daughters. That really hurt. So I wrote your letters, packed my things, and left through the window. Then I went home and went into my medicine cabinet and popped a few Advils. Then a few more. And soon, I collapsed on the floor. Zach, the bassist in my band found me when it was almost too late and rushed me here." he told us.

"Wow." Bobbi whispered.

"Dad, we're really sorry. We had no idea how much that hurt you." I sighed.

"It's okay." he smiled.

"And uh, do I have to call you dad? It's just too weird for me right now." I asked awkwardly.

"I'm okay with that. Just don't be disrespectful about it." he replied.

"I'll try my best." I smiled.

"Did you read your letters yet?" Jack asked.

"Not yet. We couldn't. We were too worried about you." I replied honestly.

"Would you like to read them now?" he asked.

"Okay." we nodded. So Jack sent Bobbi out so me and him could read the letter in private.

"You want to read it?" he asked. I shook my head. "Come on, it's not that bad." he coaxed.

"No, you read it." I told him. He sighed.

"Fine, I will." he sighed. "Dearest Josie," he read. "No matter how much you hate me, I love you. I have since I saw you in the hospital when you were born. It was cool that you looked like me, but I hoped that you wouldn't end up like me. Sure, I'm famous, but I've made a lot of mistakes.

"The first was treating your mother like shit while she was carrying you and your sister. I wish I'd been nicer to her.

"The second was leaving you and your mom shortly after she gave birth. I should've stayed and watched you grow up.

"I left you again three years later and didn't come back until now. Boy, am I sorry. I didn't get to watch you turn into the amazing woman I know you're going to be.

"I can understand why you don't want me in your life. I get that. I just wish you'd give me another chance. No matter. I'm leaving, so you won't have to deal with me anymore. Love you always, your father, Jack Evers." he read.

I could hear him choking up the whole time and I felt myself choking up, a thick feeling embalming my throat.

"Dad..." I sobbed, trying to talk around the tears and the lump in my throat.

"Shh, Jose, it's okay. I'm here." he whispered. I could feel his rough hands rubbing circles into my back, but it didn't make me feel any better.

"Yeah, you're here now! But what about when something comes up with your stupid band, or you just get bored with us? What then, huh? Are you just going to leave and put us through the same stuff all over again? I was just starting to feel okay when you showed up! You have no idea how you affect people!" I sobbed. He tried to console me, but I pushed him away.

"Alright, if you're mad at me again, why the fuck are you still here?" he snapped, glaring at me.

"Because, you OD'd, you idiot!" I cried, throwing my hands up. He sighed.

"Look, I see there's a lot still bothering both of us, but can we just put it all past us at least for now? I love you and I just want things to be okay between us." he pleaded.

I froze. I'd expected him to yell at me, but he didn't. I looked at him and instead of seeing the man who'd tried to kill himself, I saw the boy who had created me. I hugged him.

"I'm sorry, Daddy." I whispered.

"I know, it's okay. I'm sorry too, Josie." he mumbled.

"Should I send Bobbi in?" I asked.

"Sure." he replied.

"Okay." I sighed, kissing his forehead and leaving.

---BOBBI POV---

Josie came out, finally.

"Your turn." she said and sat down as I walked into the room.

"Hi Dad." I whispered.

"Hey Bobs." he smiled.

"Are you ready?" I asked.

"Yeah. You got the letter?" he asked. I nodded and took it out. "Are you going to read it or should I?" he asked.

"I'll do it." I replied and cleared my throat. "Dearest Bobbi. I know you hate me but I want you to know that I love you so much. I have since I held you that first time in the hospital when you were born. No matter what you think, it really hurt to leave all three of you that day. I regret it.

"I was so happy when you were gifted with your mother's looks. I always hoped you'd become an amazing woman just like her and I now know you will,

"I am so sorry I couldn't give you and your sister half the things you needed and I'm sorry I ruined your lives.

"You know, when I came back when you were three, I lost you while on tour. I should've just left after that. Given you and Josie the chance to live your lives uninterrupted by my shit. I know it may not seem like it, but I care about you, your sister, and your mother. Which is why I'm leaving. I just want you to be happy and I think you can accomplish that better without me. Love you forever, your father, Jack." I read, wiping my eyes.

"Well?" he asked apprehensively.

"Dad!" I cried, hugging him.

"No waterworks, please. I already went through that with your sister." he pleaded. I laughed shakily.

"Okay, Dad." I laughed.

"Go get your sister." Jack told me and I nodded and walked out.

"Josie, Jack wants you back in." I told my sister.

"Okay." she nodded.

We both came back in.

"Thank you so much for coming, even though I haven't exactly been the greatest father ever. You two should get home. I need to rest." he smiled.

"Fine. Love you." I smiled back. We each kissed his cheek and got up to leave. "Oh, and Jack?" I asked as we were standing at the door.

"Yeah?" he asked back.

"Could you please try to fix things at our school when you get out of the hospital? At least talk to Kayla. We can't handle it anymore." I told him.

"Sure." he smiled.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry I couldn't update. Computers. And I had like 5 chapters written for this, but my mom threw out my notebook! She does not want me to become a writer, it's been made crystal clear. Love you too, you pushy whiney, menopausal bitch.