Status: This is only gonna be three-chapters, so don't expect anything long.

Prevention

Chapter 1: The Plan

This was it. This was my chance to do what I had been preparing for eight months. Watching her from across camp fire, her shiny blonde hair glimmering in the firelight around her pretty face, I could barely contain the little green monster that was bashing my insides. She looked a little less giddy than usual: Her eyes were focused on the ground and her hair was curtaining her face. I looked over often to see him bending his head to look into her eyes, but she just turned away from him. She always kept secrets from him; normally she was able to get away with acting like nothing was wrong, but this particular situation was difficult to mentally ignore.

And I knew what it was.

She was wearing his hoodie over her slutty bikini top and shorts, hugging herself like a small child with his arm around her. I had spent so many years wishing that I was the one under his arm. I always dreamed of being in the warmth of his embrace and it going so much further than friendly, but I merely sat and watched it all happen from afar. Everyone always talked about how cute they looked together and how happy they were; it drove me insane. I would look so much better in his arms than she did. My height and build fit his better than her skinny, tall one. Thinking about it made me so happy that we were finally at his beach house.

Once I steered my attention away from my source of misery, I noticed how beautiful the beach was at night. The sand was cool from the lack of sunlight; the moon was gleaming above the crashing ocean like a spotlight shining on a stage. The heat of the campfire was sheltering everyone from the breezy winds that rushed through the tall palm trees and grainy sand. I looked back over at Zack to see he looked so much more gorgeous than any beach scenery.

The orange light lightened his pale face, giving his smile a small shine whenever he laughed or grinned. His hair looked darker in the night, but the green in his eyes glinted when he turned his face towards me. My stomach butterflies soared when his light eyes turned my way. They were the most beautiful pair of eyes I had ever seen in my life, and they always would be. I melted every time he would make eye contact with me or when I caught him looking my way unexpectedly. His eyes were tokens of beauty given to him by God; something some people just did not admire like I did. Observing him closely I felt something pulse inside my bathing suit when I saw his slim, tattooed torso completely revealed to me. I imagined how it looked as the muscles contracted when he climaxed during sex or when he was lifting weights. I imagined his skin smelled like the sea air and suntan lotion he had been putting on all day; I was dying to know.

It bothered me that Gena had something so incredible like Zack, and she never took time to appreciate it. No, I don’t mean like “thanks for bringing me a beer sweetie,” or “Thanks for washing my dog.” I mean lying down and admiring him. Zack had these amazing features that should be shown respect and affection every day; not be completely ignored because of Gena and her needs.

“Jude.” I felt someone come beside me. My heart skipped beats when I saw that it was Zack. I had been so absorbed in my mind; I did not notice him leave Gena’s side to sit beside me. “Something wrong?”

“No, no,” I lied, “I’m alright.”

“You sure? Because you look kinda upset.”

“No, really. I’m okay,” I paused. He left me undeniably speechless sometimes. “Thanks for asking.”

“No prob.” I loved it when he used slang abbreviations. It was part of his personality, and I loved it. “Hey, can I talk to you about something?”

“Yeah. What?”

“Come with me.”
My hand caught on fire when he touched it. It sent a prickling sensation throughout my body that made it almost impossible to stand. My hand fit in his so perfectly; it was like they were made to clasp together.

We walked a few yards away from everyone else; their voices became fainter the further we got from them. I loved being alone with him like this. It was like it used to be before Gena came into the picture. We used to hang out all the time and have really long talks about things. We’d sit around in his apartment, drinking and talking. He always made a good time out of everything; it was one of his finer habits. Of course, I only engaged in those conversations to hear his voice, because it was like a soothing lullaby to me. Gena obviously was not grateful for that.

“What’s up?” I asked him.

“Something is wrong with Gigi.” I hated that nickname. It was so stupid. ‘Gigi’. Why couldn’t I have a nickname? “Ever since last week she’s been acting really strange lately. She’s been less talkative then usual”-She won’t be talking much longer-“She always looks scared and unhappy,”-Because she’s a tramp who can’t keep her legs closed-“And I just have this feeling that there’s something she’s not telling me.”-Because there is.-“And I was wondering, since you and her are best friends,”-Not for long-“Has she said anything to you? I know she probably told you to keep it secret, but I need to know so I can help her. I won’t tell anyone else.”

The look in Zack’s eyes broke my heart. This girl was slowly killing him with all her little mind games. Why couldn’t Gena just woman up and tell Zack what was going on inside her? Why did she have to be a little baby about everything? It made me want to slap her. Or worse.

“I don’t know anything, I swear Zacky.” I hated lying to him, but it was all for the cause. Perhaps a few years from now, when he is officially mine and we’re married, I’ll tell him about it. “She hasn’t really talked to me since we got here, and it bugs me too. I asked her earlier what was wrong, but she just told me it was nothing for me to worry about. Maybe later tonight, you can ask…”

“No, I can’t,” He replied, crossing his arms. I noticed the specks of sand clinging to his chest and forearms, and I wanted to make the excuse to brush it off so I could touch him. However, I had to set my temptations aside. The plan was on its way to being in motion. “I already tried that, and she just turned away from me. I’m really worried, Jude. Could you talk to her for me?”

“Yeah. I will, but when she’s ready to.”

I looked over at Gena. She had her head finally lifted and she was watching Zack and me. I imagined what her expression would be if I kissed him right then. I imagined her crying and storming away like the little cry baby she was. It made me want to laugh. Of course, I kept this temptation to myself. I would save the kissing for another time. I assume Gena knew we were talking about her, because she immediately got up from her spot on the ground and stormed into the house.

“Jude-“

“I’ll go talk to her,” I assured him. “She’ll feel more comfortable telling me.”

“Yeah. Yeah, of course.”

I gave him a half-hearted smile, and walked away. My stomach was doing somersaults and my intestines were being squeezed together. I felt my entire body grown numb as I walked up to the two-story palace that was Zack’s personal beach house. I walked into the kitchen through the back door, and did not see Gena anywhere. I figured she had gone upstairs to hide from Zack and I, but that was all right. She was giving me all the time in the world.

The plan was in action.

I walked up the staircase to the second floor, my eyes scanning into each room to look for Gena. I tell you again, I knew where she was, but I needed it to appear to anyone who would come investigating later, that I did not know where she had been. Plus, the game was somewhat enjoyable. I looked in all the bedrooms, the bathroom, and even the closets. No Gena.

Then I reached her and Zack’s room. The door was completely shut, unlike the rest of the doors in the hallway, and I could hear the muffled sound of crying. I pressed my ear to the door and listened.

Gena was bawling. She was giving these heart-wrenching cries that made me even give her a bit of sympathy. I suppose it could not have been easy, holding the unexpected child of your boyfriend. I mean, Zack loves children, but he had said he was holding back on them until he was ready. However, the thought of her sobbing with her face in her hands made me stifle a giggle. Now she was the one that was in pain, and I was happy for it.

I guess you’re wondering how I found out? Well, I found the test hidden in the garbage when I was looking for Gena’s bracelet. She had lost it earlier (because she’s a moron who loses things all the time), and I had been helping her look for it. I looked in the bathroom trash to see if it had fell in somehow, but instead I found the long white stick with a pink plus sign on it. I was completely enraged. All seven years that I had loved Zack, I prayed that by some magic of God, he would leave Gena for me. He didn’t. He even announced a few months ago that they were getting married. It was the turning point for me.

Now, if she was having his child, he would have no choice but to stay with her. It was the kind of thing Zack would do, with his loving heart and all. I had been working on this for months, yet I had never found the right time to initiate it until this morning. Nobody knew that I found out about Gena’s little problem; if she killed herself (acting the way she has been) no one would be the wiser as to suspect me.

“Gigi?” I knocked on the door softly, careful not to frighten her off, “Can I come in?”

“No!”

‘Fucking little bitch! Let me in!’ “Gigi…I want to talk to you. Zack and I have been really worried about you. We want to know what’s wrong. If you open the door, we can talk about whatever it is that is bothering you and sort it out somehow.”

“No one can sort it out, Jude!” She called out to me, “I’ve made a big mistake and I can’t fix it.”

“Gena, that’s not true. There’s always a way to fix a problem. Now, come on, let me in.”

I heard footsteps shuffle to the door, and I was met with Gena’s tearful face. Tears stained her cheeks, and her blue eyes were completely drowned in water. Her soft lips were curled down into a frown; sadness was just written all over her. I was glad for it. The tears and depression made for a good cover and added a nice touch. It would make it all the more believable.

“Oh…” I hugged Gena tightly, giving her the most convincing hug I have ever given another human being, “It really hurts me to see you like this, G.”

“It’s just so hard, Jude,” She sobbed into my shoulder, “It’s like I’m trapped in a corner and no one can get me out. I’m just so scared.”

“Scared of what?” I walked her into the room and shut the door.

Her and Zack had the biggest bedroom in the house. The bed was covered in fluffy red satin covers and matching pillows; the French doors lead to the arched balcony that had no rail to keep one from falling. The carpet was soft underneath my feet, and the room smelled of a pretty perfume. I saw Zack’s clothes from last night hanging on a chair on the make-up dresser. It was the Misfit’s tee I bought him from his birthday years ago, and the cute pair of black jeans that he left a little baggy. I smiled as I remembered how adorable he looked in them.

Soon, I’ll be able to see that adorableness every morning, noon, and night.

Gena sat on the bed and I regrettably followed. I could have taken her outside now, but if I pushed it too much, something might go wrong, and I could not have that. I handed Gena a tissue from a nearby box; I watched her dab her eyes and sniffle like a little baby.

“Tell me what’s happened Gigi,” I said softly. “What are you so scared of?”

“I can’t tell you. I can’t tell anyone.”

“Why not? I’m your best friend; you can tell me anything,” I put a hand on her shoulder, and her cries became harsher. “I won’t judge you, because that’s not what friends do. I’m sure whatever you did can’t be that bad.”

“It is! I’m a terrible person for letting this happen. I told him I was taking the pill, but I forgot and now I’m pregnant!”

“Oh Gigi,” I tried to act shocked, “That’s not that terrible. You’re a grown woman. Women all over the world have babies at your age. It’s not like we’re still in high school or anything.”

“But Zack doesn’t want to have kids right now. What if he leaves me because he can’t handle a baby and his band right now? What if he stops loving me because he thinks I did this to him on purpose? I can’t face those thoughts turning into reality, Jude. I love Zack too much to let him walk out of my life.”

‘You’ll be walking out of his…Well falling actually…’

“Gena, you have to tell Zack,’ I stated to her. “He needs to know now that you can still get rid of it-“

“I’m not gonna have an abortion,”-Damnit!-“I know I don’t really want this baby, but I’m not going to kill it,”-Why not?-“I was thinking maybe I could put it up for adoption or something when it’s born, then Zack won’t have to worry about supporting me and a baby. I’ve been looking online and there are plenty of reasonable adoption centers in town, and a lot of them take babies.”-You wouldn’t need to because Zack’s a fucking rockstar, you twit!-“So perhaps Zack and I could take one to one of those places. What do you think?”

“I think whatever you think is best is good enough, but you still need to tell Zack. He can’t do anything unless he knows about it.”

“I’m scared to, Jude. I don’t want him to leave me.”

“He won’t leave you,”-I should know. I’ve been waiting for it and it hasn’t happened yet-“Zack loves you. If you tell him you’re little plan, he’ll agree with you.”

Gena had stopped crying so much, but small streams came down every so often. I watched her eagerly. I wanted so badly to take her outside and into the fresh air. Now was the time.

“Hey, you know what will make you feel better? Let’s go outside and get you some fresh air.”

“I think I’ve had enough-“

“No, no. Clean air’s good for the mind. It relaxes you…really easy like.”

I took her hand and led her outside and into the fresh air. The balcony was decorated with patio chairs and benches. There were flowers wrapped around the posts in vines; a perfect view of the nighttime sky was visible from our spot on the balcony. A wide smile came across my face when I saw the rail-less ledge of the terrace just a few feet away. All I had to do was get her near it, then execute the climax of this oh-so-genius plan. We stopped by the benches Zack had decided to put to add a touch of hominess to the place (he was always good with things like that), but I would not let her sit down.

“You know what, Judie?” Gena turned to me, wiping her nose with her sleeve, “You really are a good friend. I’m thankful you’re here for me, specially now.”

“That’s what best friends do, Gena. They help each other when they can.”

She gave me a smile, and I looked out into the view. “You know what they say about the moon? They say if you stand on the edge of something, it feels like it’s closer to you.”

“Really?” Gena didn’t sound convinced. “That’s kinda weird.”

“No, but it’s true. Jimmy and I did it once when we were on the roof of some hotel. You should try it with me. It’ll make you feel better. More relaxed.”

Gena agreed and let me walk her to the edge. My heart was racing as we drew closer and closer to the falling point. I tried not to think of the possibility of someone walking in and seeing me do the deed, particularly Zack. He would never forgive me if he found out I had been the one to do this, but I had to. It was best for everyone if this little slut and her unborn brat were gone from this world. Especially for Zack and I. I took my arm off Gena’s shoulders, looking at the profile of her as she stared at the moon above of us. It really did look beautiful. It was a perfect circular shape, with the misty black clouds gliding past it. I wished for that moment that Zack was next to me, with his arms wrapped around my sides, his soft lips on my neck as his hands roamed my body. I took a look down at the ground. We were three floors up, and the driveway was right there. If I could get her far enough out…

I stood a little behind Gena, not too much but enough to keep a distance. Her blonde hair glowed in the light as it silhouetted her thin figure. I thought for a moment why Zack would even touch this creature. She had barely any chest and her backside was something she lacked in. I had enough curves for him to handle. He would love touching me every night; making love to me and doing whatever he pleased with me. I shuddered thinking about it. Shaking my head, however, I focused on the task ahead.

“It does feel like its closer,” She said serenely. “I sorta feel better now.”

“Good,” I said, trying to sound pleased, “Maybe you should get closer!”

I pivoted my shoulder against the blade of hers, and she fell with a surprised scream. I gave out a cheerful laugh when I saw her sprawled body on the cement ground, motionless and lifeless. Her body was shadowed in the lights that shone from the living room windows. I felt so victorious; so triumphant, and entirely unremorseful. The little bitch deserved what she got, and her death gave me a clear path to Zack.

Quickly, I darted into the bathroom and grabbed a cup of water. I filled it up, and then dropped it into the sink with a small clank. I stormed back to my spot immediately, and then screamed out loud.

“Oh my God, Gena! Gena! Are you okay?! Zack! Zack!”

“Judie, what is it? Where’s Gena?”

Zack ran in from behind me and looked over my shoulders to the ground below. I expected him to instantly believe she was dead, but keeping my shocked-scared role, I merely watched him run back down through the hallway.

Everyone I knew was standing in the doorway, looking at me with stunned expressions. It was if they thought I had done it-which I had, but that wasn’t the point-and anticipated my confession right then. I would do no such thing, not even for them, my best friends. This crime was not something I was going to boast about, because it would completely destroy my future plans if I did it. I slowly busted into tears as Valary, my non-man-stealing best friend, came towards me, and I looked away from her.

“What happened, Jude?” Valary, said to me with concerned eyes.

“She-She-She jumped!” I sobbed, forcing tears to come to my eyes, and then covering my face from her. “She jumped off the edge! She jumped off the edge!”

“Judie…”

I felt arms wrap around me as I continued to cry. Valary and Michelle had always been the ones to comfort me whenever something had happened. I had even planned on this, because then it’ll ruin all suspicions any of the others might have had. The twins always had the effect on people. Everyone followed them whenever they believed something to be true or not, which is why they played the perfect part in my plan.

“It’s okay…” I heard one of them say, “It’ll be alright.”

“I should’ve stayed with her! I should’ve known she was going to do it. She even said she would because she couldn’t live with herself anymore.”

“What are you talking about, Jude?” I heard Brian-Michelle’s boyfriend- say to me.

“She was pregnant,” I informed them, breaking away from the twins. “She said she’d rather kill herself than tell Zack because she thought he would get mad and leave her, you know, since you guys are famous and everything now. I didn’t think she’d really do it though,” I busted into more tears, causing Leana-my best friend-to come to me with open arms.

“Don’t worry Judie-kins,” She cooed, “It’s not your fault. You didn’t know.”

I heard footsteps come from down the hallway, and Zack appeared in the doorway. My heart broke when I saw him. Tears were falling from his beautiful green eyes making them redden; his lips were separated as he panted for breath, his hand gripping his cell phone. I wanted nothing more than to rush to him and hold him in my arms. I wanted to comfort him; to tell him life will be better now that she was not standing between us anymore. I wanted to tell him that I loved him with all my heart; that I will never hurt him and his dreams the way the little bitch did.

Sadly, that must wait until later.

“She’s dead,” He choked. “Gena’s dead.”

Over the course of a few hours, the police and coroners and come to investigate; the police had interviewed everyone-mostly me-about Gena and the incident. I told them exactly what I had planned: I had gone up to see if Gena was okay; we talked about her baby and what she planned to do about it (I mentioned the suicide-talk) and how we went outside for her to get some fresh air. I also said that I had gone into the bathroom to get her some water, but came back out to find her falling off the balcony. After they interrogated me, they swiped the place for what little evidence it had, and then packed everything up.

When the last detective had left, I walked into the living room to find Zack sitting on the sofa, his head in his hands as he sobbed. Everyone was sitting with him in silence, thinking of everything that had happened that night. I was sure I was the only one who really did not care that she had died, but I must blend in if I want to stay out of jail. I sat beside Leana on a loveseat; she immediately wrapped her arm around me soothingly. I jerked out a few more tears for appearances, earning a pat from Johnny, another best friend of mine, who had been sitting next to me.

The sounds of Zack’s heart wrenching cries made me cry, because it meant that he was truly hurting. I had known this was one of the consequences of my plan. As much as I hated it, Zack had loved Gena-for some unknown reason-and would be ultimately unhappy if she ever died. I had watched him hand her the world on a silver platter; seen him do whatever he could to make her happy and go to every length of the Earth to meet her requests. He had treated her like a princess; he had honestly loved her with every fiber of his being. Her death was upsetting; it would take a long time for this wound to heal.

“I’m sorry, Zacky.” I stood up, sniffing, and sat in the empty space beside him. “I should have seen it before it happened. I’m so sorry.”

Everyone, I assume, took this as a cue to leave, and I was alone with Zack. I put my hand on his shoulder, rubbing his back comfortingly. I only received more cries from him at this gesture, so I ran my hand up to his hair and stroked it. The feel of his hair against my fingertips sent shivers down my spine, because it was something I loved to do. It was always soft and shiny; I would be fortunate enough to run my fingers through it every day now.

“I really am,” I told him. “I know you loved her very much, but sometimes, people get weak, you know. She was really worried you wouldn’t love her when she found out you had gotten her pregnant. I had told her you would always love her because nothing could ever stop you from loving her, but she seemed to believe that you wouldn’t. She said she thought it would ruin your career-“

“It wouldn’t have,” He sobbed to me. “It’s not like we’re just starting out or anything. I wouldn’t have minded having a little kid around.”

“I know you wouldn’t, but she thought you would, since you’re so busy all the time.”

“I loved her.”

Zack looked up at me, his eyes bloodshot red and puffy. I cupped his cheek and hugged him tightly. His body shook as he cried, clutching me in his grip and never letting go. The smell of the ocean still clung onto him; the sand that had been on his skin had brushed off on its own, leaving the softness on his tattooed body present again. My heart beat harder than ever when he hugged me, mostly right now, since we were alone and she was dead.

“I know you did,” I told him, brushing his hair and kissing his neck. “But you know what? You still have our friends, your band, and your fans that love you and will help you get through this until you’re okay again…You still have me. Remember me? You’re best friend?”

Zack let go of me, and looked me in the eyes. I wiped a tear off his cheek, noticing him slightly calmer than he had been before. It appeared that my words had calmed him; it lifted my heart a little when he smiled.

“Yeah, I do have you.” He took my hand in his and my stomached knotted really tight.

I smiled widely, “I love you too, Zackypoo.”

He didn’t smile, but instead curled up into me. I lied back on the couch for him, and I felt like I was in heaven. We laid there for what seemed like hours. I stroked his hair as he cried, and even kissed his forehead a few times. I tried to keep the smile off my face whenever someone walked by us, but it was difficult.

When we finally got up, Zack muttered to me about wanting to sleep. I agreed. I kissed his cheek tenderly, letting it linger for a moment, before ushering him to stand up. We both walked upstairs to my room, where he planned to sleep because he could not sleep in the place his girlfriend had killed herself in. When I had managed to make him go to sleep, I found myself in my bathroom, my reflection staring back at me with a somewhat glorious grin.

“Mrs. Judie Baker….hm, has a nice ring to it…”