Status: In motion.

The Road You Can Take

i can be pensive, and you can be so sure.

Garrett was scribbling words on a piece of binder paper about currency and inflation when he saw her rise. Her backpack was still on the floor and her book was still open, paper and pen resting on the page. She didn’t raise her hand to ask if she could go to the restroom (Mr. McDougal was kind of a dick). She walked from her desk, in about the middle of the room, to the door, quickly stepping out of the classroom. Mr. McDougal didn’t say a word. He continued to give the lesson, not even sparing a glance her way.

Garrett furrowed his eyebrows. Even the teachers were giving her leniency, which, in his opinion, was kind of shitty. What? Did he need to start hacking up blood to get a break in chemistry? He rolled his eyes and scratched his wrist. His hand was already beginning to cramp up and they still had another page and a half of notes.

Finals were two days away, and this was Mr. McDougal’s way of preparing them – pages and pages of scribbled notes on things that they hadn’t mentioned since September. Garrett just wanted to make it through finals, on to a summer full of practice, Pat’s aunt’s pool, and the occasional night spent driving until whenever. Garrett’s idea of the perfect summer was sleeping too much, exploring, and perfecting bass lines. He didn’t have any plans set in stone.

They’d gone through another transparency full of notes before Evelyn slinked back into the classroom, looking the same as she had when she exited. She resumed her seat quietly. Again, Mr. McDougal didn’t say a word. Garrett wondered if all of her teachers were like this – letting her flounce around as she pleased, not bothering to ask if she was actually doing work. What did it matter anyway, if she was going to die? She didn’t have to worry about college or a career.

In Garrett’s opinion, she was getting off pretty easy. She got to live her glory years, fun and exciting, without any of the hassles that come with entering adulthood. In a sense, she almost had it made. Then again, Garrett was only seeing it from his perspective, so there was probably a lot more going on than that.

For the next twenty-two minutes, they took notes, occasionally stopping to look at a chart of some fallen economy or listen to one of Mr. McDougal’s infamous, not-really-funny-but-you’re-going-to-laugh-politely-anyway finance jokes. Garrett was sure that he wasn’t going to miss that. He took the occasional peek at Evelyn, though he lied to himself and said that he didn’t. She seemed different now – he wasn’t sure if he was feeling irritation or pity. Even though he’d said he was going to treat her exactly as he had before, he had to admit that something changed. There was something else in his perception of her now.

He’d never known anyone his age with a fatal disease before.

When class grew near an end, Garrett shoved his papers into his book and scooped it up in his hand. He wanted to get the hell out of the classroom, as fast as possible. The sun was shining through the windows, and outside was calling. Summer had arrived. He wanted out. Now.

Everyone moved with a jolt when the bell rang, gathering their things and rushing towards the door. Garrett was the third person in line, ready to push through the frame and enter the busy halls. He hated the hallways in high school – they were a bitch, even on an outside campus. There were always too many people, walking too slow.

He didn’t even notice that she was keeping pace with him, her strides matching his, even though his legs were much longer.

“It’s like resistance.” Evelyn had said, and Garrett was surprised, because he hadn’t talked to her, at all, and here she was, saying something out of the blue.

“Huh?” He looked at her and then looked forward.

“Resistance. It’s what happens in wires when electricity runs through it. The wider the wire, the less resistance, because it has more room to move freely. Our hallways are too small, so it’s full of resistance, like in physics.” She said.

“Physics?”

“Physics.” She confirmed with a nod. “Love physics.”

“That’s interesting.” It really wasn’t.

“It is. Physics is the truth – almost everything comes down to physics, because everything is relatable to the truth.”

“Okay.” He was aware that he was being somewhat standoffish and almost rude, but he was just caught off guard. Evelyn didn’t talk to him, ever. Why now? Because she was dying? He really hoped that this wasn’t going to be the inciting incident in the movie where she confessed her crush on him or something. Sappy shit like that just wouldn’t do.

“Anyway,” she sighed. “I was just taking Sam’s advice and getting the guts to thank you. So, thanks.” Evelyn almost looked defeated at Garrett’s lack of response, and she made a move to turn and head down a different hall.

“Wait,” He said. “What’re you thanking me for?”

“Not holding the door open.”

“Are you being sarcastic?”

“Nope. The gesture was greatly appreciated.”

“Isn’t that the kind of bad-manners generally scoffed upon?”

“I guess.” Evelyn shrugged.

He was confused. “Then why are you thanking me?”

“For not holding the door open.” She repeated.

“You said that.”

“Yes, because it’s the reason.”

“But -,” Garrett took a second to shake his head. “How did that have any significance?”

Evelyn shrugged, once again. Garrett thought she was being vague. That annoyed him. “Dunno. Just did.”

“Okay.” Garrett deadpanned.

“Yup. Well, have a nice day.” Evelyn sent him a small, peculiar smile, before turning down the hall. She didn’t look back.

Garrett knew that because his eyes were focused on her figure for longer than ten seconds. He stood there, his shoulders getting bumped and people rolling their eyes at him.

The conversation, just like the door, made him in it for the long run, because the conversation sparked his interest. The conversation made him curious.
♠ ♠ ♠
This might be the last update for a bit, because I'm pretty busy the next two weeks.

How do you feel about Evelyn's character?