Status: Author is finally getting off her lazy arse and updating for you people!

Are the Roses Red or Black?

The Rock Climbing Wall Between Life and Death

--Inside--

Suddenly, I heard more than just myself breathing.
“What’s happening now?” I asked the strange voice that never lied.
But instead of that voice, I heard a voice that sounded strangely similar to Kakuzu’s say, “I managed to turn her senses back on, but she’s still in a coma. Though I think her organs are starting to function properly again.”
It was Kakuzu!
Then I heard a big sigh.
“People in coma’s can still hear, right?” Hidan asked.
“Yeah, she’s probably listening to us as we speak.” Kakuzu answered.
Suddenly, I saw a tiny light, way above me and something leading up to it from the surface upon which I sat. I stood up and walked, hypnotized, to the structure.
“What is this? Where does it lead?” I asked cautiously.
“Looks to me like a large rock-climbing wall. Climb it to find out where it leads.” The voice instructed.
“Okay. I guess it’s a risk I’ll have to take. My life is on the line here.” And, with that, I reached out a got a hold with both hands, then both feet. I climbed up slowly, one step at a time.
Hand, hand, foot, foot. Hand, hand, foot, foot. I soon got into a steady rhythm. But, not too far into it, I began to notice that the holds were getting steadily smaller and farther apart. I had to focus really hard on where I put my feet so I wouldn’t slip and fall. Precision was important here. I couldn’t afford any missteps. Those would take me on a trip to certain death. I really have to stretch and feel around to find the next level of protruding shapes. But I kept going; my life was on the line and I was already so far up; I can’t turn back now. But then, I remembered… I am acrophobic! Afraid of heights! I shut my eyes tight and repeated to myself over and over, “Don’t look down. You’re almost there. Don’t look down.”
Sooner or later, I opened my eyes and grabbed onto the next hold, then another, and another. I tried to keep my mind off the heights by thinking about other things like my friends and ice cream...
“I think I can, I think I can, I think I-I feel like The Little Train Who Could!” I laughed at myself. Then I realized that I had stopped climbing and shook my head. I regained my focus and continued moving up the rock wall. And slowly but surely, the light was growing closer…

--Outside--

“Everything looks normal. She’s going to be alright, Hidan. I’m going to bed. I advise you to try and sleep as well.” Kakuzu clapped a hand on my shoulder before walking to the door.
“No. I think I’ll stay a while, just in case the damn girl wakes up.” I sat down in the armchair beside the bed.
“Okay. Tell me if her condition changes.” Kakuzu said.
“Of course.” I assured him.
He nodded and left, closing the door behind him.
“That Kakuzu, he can so paranoid sometimes.” I chuckled to myself.
I leaned closer to Mikoto and took her soft, fragile hand in mine. Her eyelids were closed delicately concealing her dark sapphire eyes behind them. Being so close to her, holding her hand; I felt weak, like a newborn kitten. But at the same time, I felt as strong as a mother lion protecting her cubs. With her, I felt safe and warm, yet at the same time, open and susceptible to danger.
“Mikoto, don’t die on me; you just flipping got here for Jashin’s sake, and now… Just please wake up soon, all this waiting and not knowing if you’ll ever wake up again… You’re driving me crazy! Okay, I don’t know if you can hear me or not, but I have a confession to make.” I took a deep breath and held it, “I…I think I like you!” I let out my held breath and relaxed. My heart felt lighter now, as if I had been carrying bricks. I sighed before continuing, “Yeah, I know that probably doesn’t mean shit to you, but it’s true, all the same. Damn! I almost feel like I’m trying to hold a conversation n with a wall! No matter how much you say to it, it’ll never respond. Except, you’re not a wall…”

--Inside--

Hearing Hidan speak those words gave me so much motivation to ignore the screams of protest in my muscles and to find a way to the top, that I just felt so happy. It gave me a reason to live, and the only way for me to live, was to climb, so I did. I was surprised at how much Hidan had to say, even when no one was there to voice a reply. And I believe he is right, I can’t die, I just met him and the other members and I care about all of them. I will not give up!

--Outside--

I guess I had fallen asleep somewhere along the way, because when I opened my eyes, all the others were there. I raised my arms groggily above my head and stretched. “What happened?” I asked, stifling a yawn.
“Mikoto has been speaking.” Pein said.
“Really? What has she said?” I asked.
“Most of it is unintelligible, but some things are clear as day.” Kakuzu said.
“But what did she say?” I asked, slightly irritated.
“She said thank you…to you, Hidan.” Deidara said.
“Me? For what?” I asked.
“She said, for your encouraging words, giving her a reason to not let herself die, and for just talking to her.” Konan said.
“Guys…” Came a faint voice.
“It’s Mikoto! She’s talking again! Listen!” Deidara said.
“SHHH!!” Everyone else shushed him.
“Guys…” She said again. “I’m almost at the top. I think…I’ll see you again soon.”

--Inside--

The light is so close, I can almost feel it! I could almost feel the white light flowing around and through my body, my veins; filling my person with life. Escape was close; I could almost touch it…

-Outside-

Only mere seconds later, Mikoto squinched her face, then she double blinked, “I-I made it?” She whispered, removing the oxygen mask from her face. She studied her hand and dropped it next to her.
“You’re back!” I said excitedly.
“You are alive and well, Mikoto.” Kakuzu reassured as she sat up in the bed.
“Alive? Ha! Of course I’m alive! Hidan, Jashin wouldn’t just let me up and die, and neither would you.” She laughed, “And, you’re right. Kakuzu can be very paranoid.”
“So, you heard what I said?” I asked timidly.
“Every word!” She smiled.
I anime fell.
“Thank you.” She said softly.
I stood, “Thank you? For what?”
“For staying with me and talking to me last night.”
I blushed light pink.
“Come here...” She said.
I walked closer and stood above her by the bed.
“Closer…”
I leaned in a little.
“Oh, for the love of-!” She grabbed my cloak and pulled me in and gave me a kiss on the cheek. Then she released my cloak and I staggered away backwards.
“Wha-what was that for?” I asked.
“Payment for your kindness.” Mikoto replied simply.
I felt my face heat up with the blush climbing up my cheeks. I was unaware of the audience that was in the room with us, and my face was beet red.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know it's a little short. Oh well. I was motivated to post it because I have gotten a new subscriber and I decided to finally get off my lazy but and type this up!