Restart My Heart

I seen it all so I thought but I never seen nobody shine the way you do

There he was, as breath-taking as always. He walked swiftly over but this time his gaze only fixated on me, not even smiling at the students greeting him. He stopped, his curls bouncing slightly at the top of his forehead, in front of my locker.

"Hi," I said meekly, feeling uncomfortable under his intense gaze.

Then he blinked, his strong gaze faltering and he ran a hand threw his hair and dropping my eyes, " 'Morning Levi."

I bit my bottom lip, watching him for a while. He didn't say anything or look up at me. This was definitely awkward.

"Look, Stephen," I slammed my locker shut, sighing. Time to blunt Levi, "If what happened yesterday is going to make things awkward between us, that's too bad. But I am not going to act like nothing happened and I refuse to apologize for my part because I'm not sorry."

He blinked, obviously stunned. I wasn't in a good shape after the other text from Triangle but I looked him square on.

"How did you think of the secret place and the song though?"

I smiled "It was beautiful." And I meant it.

Stephen nodded like he was in deep thought.

I shut my locker "If you're going to back out now, it's okay. I get it."

When Stephen didn't say anything I walked away. Maybe I wasn't going to be okay. Maybe I didn't get it. But I'll get over it. I survived through Alex, I can make it through Stephen. Except Stephen was just so damn kind. It's harder to leave when he's been nothing but nice and well, lead me on, but still oh-so sweet.

"Levi," I heard Stephen say in that voice. I gulped. It's all about willpower, Levi.

I really didn't want to be the 'other girl'. No matter what Ruth says. No matter what Triangle says. No matter what Stephen doesn't say.

I kept walking, not bothering to look back. I felt Stephen following

"I know about your girlfriend." I continued "And If you don't want things getting messy or complicated or whatever, this can all be water under the bridge. We can just move on as friends, as not friends. I totally get if the kiss meant nothing to you and you want to forget it. I can take it, I'm not soft. Just don't expect me to forget it and expect me to lie to myself that I hated it."

"Levi."

I kept walking. "I..."

The bell ringing cut me off.

"Levi," Stephen caught a hold of my shoulder and spun me around. "What's wrong Levi?"

"Nothing," it even sounded like a lie "You should probably get to class Stephen."

"Look at me, Levs," Stephen said sternly yet sincere. Was that even possible? I reluctantly met his eyes. Delicious chocolate browns that you could melt into. "Something's not right. Is everything okay?"

At that moment I wanted to breakdown; at the gorgeous brown globes, at the close contact, at his compassion, at the empty hallway.

Almost like Stephen knew I wasn't going to be talking to him with a smile, he said "Let's sit down,"

I led me by the elbow by a window where I was sure nobody would see us. The hallway was empty and classroom doors closed off and abandoned.

We sat on the windowsill.

"We're cutting class again Stephen," I sighed, wondering how we haven't been caught yet.

He just frowned at me.

That's when my phone vibrated in my pocket and I thought I was saved. I flipped it open quickly so I wouldn't have to answer Stephen

9:18
From: Unknown Number
Text: I absolutely
hate it when I am being ignored. You think I'm all talk? You think I'm just bluffing? Prepare yourself, oh-so doubtful for some juicy evidence. Go to Richmond Hospital and I'll prove to you I. Know. Every. Dirty. Secret. Of. Yours. I'll give you your next steps when you get there.


I froze and dropped the phone.

"Levi?”

Before I could react, Stephen picked it up. I found my senses in time to hear him read it and my insides bubbled with regret. My biggest mistake wasn’t dropping the phone or reacting so openly for Stephen to see; it was ever thinking the text would help me avoid Stephen’s question. I realized there was no choice but to face reality.

“What is this?” Stephen’s voice was calm but I knew better

“Stephen…” I reached for my phone but he snatched it away.

“Are there more?”

I dared to look in his eyes; they were dark and terrifying and his eyebrows twisted together and his expression terribly angry. I decided I hated this expression; almost afraid of it because Stephen was never angry.

When I didn’t answer he snapped “So there are!”

His frightening eyes returned to my phone and I knew he was flipping through my Text Message Box. I flung myself at it screaming a pained “No! Stop!”

But Stephen pushed me back, still hotly searching. I watched helplessly as his nostrils flared and his eyes became pits of brown bubbly acid.

My body was feverishly hot, furious that Stephen would do this against my will. Then, it went stone cold wondering what he would think of me; to see I was so weak and not the strong Levi he knew. Would he leave me like Alex?

I shivered at the thought.

Suddenly, he did something that made me jump, something so out of his character. His large arms pulled me into his chest, enveloping me in his warmth. But I didn’t let myself enjoy it for too long.

Was this the part where he feels how sorry he is and looks at me with pitiful eyes? I’d rather his angry ones compared to those eyes that looked down on me that I remembered when Alex cheated on me two years ago.

They made me want to feel sorry for myself.

Stephen pulled an inch away so he could face me but still had his arms around my shuddering shoulders. I realized I was trembling.

“How long has it been?”

I couldn’t trust my words so I shrugged to the best of my ability.

“Why didn’t you tell me, Levi? Oh why?” he groaned and continued muttering cruel words to himself, like he was angry at himself.

“Stephy?”

He stopped muttering and looked at me with the chocolaty eyes that always made my insides crash into itself. Those eyes that I knew so well; not angry nor pitiful. I almost wanted to cry but haven’t I made enough of a weakling of myself today?

“You knew I am here for you, Levi. Don’t you?” his bottom lip quivered. I just stared glassily at him “My God, you don't. How did you not know? I will always be here for you. I should of told you before…”

His voice trailed on. Stephen shook whatever he was thinking out of his head, his curls bouncing across his forehead. After all Stephen had done for me, he was blaming himself for what was happening. It wasn’t any ones fault but that psychotic Triangle’s. He’s one of the only people in my life that hasn’t.

“You don’t have to be strong by yourself, Levi,” Stephen said simply. “It’s my fault for not telling you that.”

And that’s when I did the one thing I swore to myself I wouldn’t; I burst into tears. Not a few tears at first then more following but a complete water fall all at once. It was unbearable to watch someone who’s been nothing but loyal to be putting himself down.

“It’s not… your fault,” I sobbed

Stephen pulled me closer and I cried into his shoulder. He rubbed my back, gushing soothing nothings to calm me down. "It's okay Levi."

We stayed like that for a while until I pulled myself together. I knew all my makeup was gone but didn't care. Even though I proved myself weak in front of Stephen, he still accepted me. I wiped my cheeks dry.

"Feeling better?" Stephen gazed at me intently

I managed a small smile "Yeah, thanks."

"Now are you ready to tell me about this..."

"Triangle," I finished for him. He nodded and everything came out in a rush; when it started, the picture in my locker, the non-stop torture.

He listened carefully and I saw at some points he was disappointed from the way his soft eyes grew dark.

"Have you told anybody else?" he asked after I finished with a sigh. It was unbearable amazing how much better I felt about myself after I shared it with someone.

"Yeah, Ruth," I said simply and then I realized what Stephen meant "Don't worry, she is one hundred percent not it."

"Then do you have any leads? Anyone suspicious you come across? Because it seems to know a lot about you so it must be close to you in some way," Stephen said expertly

Alex "No one yet," I said "Sorry."

I didn't know if I was apologizing because I had no clue or I didn't tell him about Alex. But I felt I had to apologize.

He tapped his chin, deep in thought. It occurred to me he was trying to help me

"Stephen, please just leave it okay? It can't get any more serious and this black mailer sounds like a pussy and...." the words sounded like lies even to my own ears. This guy was dead serious and could hurt me. So if Stephen got involved with me, he would get hurt to. Whether physically or emotionally from my past.

"Levi," he said in a warning tone

"No Stephen. I can deal with this myself. I have done good so far haven't I? No, I can't get you hurt because of me and my lousy baggage," my hands started shaking again and I was on the verge of hysterias. My mind raced back to the older texts, threatening Stephen. Something sparked in my mind; something wasn't right.

Stephen was the good guy that brought me happiness. Alex was the bad one that cheated on me and still, to this day, tries to get with me; the ultimate asshole. So then why is this Triangle threatening Stephen's well-being and encouraging me to go with Alex?

God, this person must really hate me

I wiped the thought out of my head like dust on a cupboard and started to remember anyone I had fucked up on. But no legitimate name ever came up. Sure, being a bitch and everything I have made a lot of enemies along the way but only two names came to mind.

Jenna P and Alex.

But I failed to mention that to my hero

"All we know right now is that it knows a lot about you and is trying to send you a message," Stephen concluded

"Send me a message?" I asked quizzically

"There's a connection to every one of these texts. And the last one is the clearest," he nudged my phone into my hand and I read the open text.

It pained me but I read it again.

"It thinks I'm doubting it?" I said weakly, still confused

He shook his head "It hates being ignored or how you aren't analyzing it's messages more carefully. You read them once and throw them out of terror, am I right?"

I shook my head in awe wondering how on earth did Stephen pull himself together so quickly. He was too strong for me.

"It's hinting to something and right here it wants us to come to Richmond Hospital." he said "So we go."

"It's clearly a trap!" I said bewildered, on my feet now "We can't just succumb to it!"

Stephen pulled me back down "It's the only way we can find out who it is."

I blinked at him, hating the idea of having to face whoever detested me so much. Why can't this just blow away like I hoped it would?

He fished his car keys out his jean pocket "If we find out what it wants, we can find out who it is and stop this."
♠ ♠ ♠
Please don't be a silent reader :)