Restart My Heart

I didn't say half the things I wanted to

"What are we doing here?" Stephen asked who was in the passenger seat beside me.

I drove into a parking space. I took a quick glance from the road to Stephen, seeing him eye the restaurant oddly. Stephen not only sounded weird, he looked sort of... panicky.

"Cookie, remember?" I reminded him

"At Miles?" his eyebrows shot up, as I pulled the gear to park

"What's wrong with Miles? I come here all the time," I pulled my seat belt off and turned to him

"Nothing, really," he said quickly, avoiding my eyes

"Let's go then," I broke into a smile, excited and clicked his seat belt off for him.

Without even walking in the cute cafe, I could see through the large floor-to-ceiling glass windows how busy it was, packed an bustling with people. It wasn't a surprise really since Miles was such a popular hang out place for teens. Actually, only teenagers worked there. Even the owner, Miles, was only twenty four.

Stephen stepped ahead of me as my phone vibrated, indicating a new text message. I stopped walking completely when I saw it was from an unknown number. I clicked the green Read button casually but when I saw what popped on the screen, my heart nearly dropped.

From: Unknown Number
Message: Enjoy being with your fantasy guy while you can, Levi. But when you wake up from your fairytale, everything will be back to the way it was from the
past. Your past boy. Your one and only boy - Δ

When I saw who it was signed by, Δ , I only thought of this as a joke. Who has a signature name as triangle? But what was before was just so... spooky.

"Levi?" I ripped my eyes off the screen after re-reading it for the fourteenth time. It was Stephen calling, holding the door open, waiting for me.

I lifted my hand to brush my hair out of my face and realized my hands were shaking. Was I actually flustered by some cheap spamming probably with some twelve year old who has no life.

No, I'm Levi Meester.

I urged a smile on my face, turning my phone off before shoving it in my bag and following Stephen int he restaurant.

We were seated at the bar and the my regular waitress, being a regular customer, Kay, came to us at the other side of the bar table.

"Hey, sunshine. Where have you been lately?" Kay said, twirling her blond ponytail around her manicured index, chewing her bubble gum loudly.

Then, as soon as she saw Stephen, her glossed lips pursed in an 'O' "It's because of the hot new boyfriend right?"

"He's not my boyfriend, Kay," I giggled casually, even though I was screaming in my head 'SOMEDAY!'

"Yeah, right" she smiled mischievously.

Stephen just smiled politely, with a neutral, almost emotionless expression. I couldn't help but feel somewhat disappointed.

"So usual, right? Rum and coke?" Kay asked taping her pen on her notepad

My face fell, heart stopping. What would Stephen think if he found out a drank? I was almost too scared to turn around to see Stephen's new expression. Almost so I did turn around, slowly.

"Levi Meester?" Stephen said sternly, narrowing his eyes disapprovingly.

"Stephy," I sing-songed

"I'm joking, boyfriend!" Kay laughed

"Stephen, your so gullible," I laughed along, playfully pushing his shoulder

He rolled his eyes.I could tell he was fighting a laugh as well.

"Okay, I maybe a little gullible but if its Miles I'm sure he is capable of serving alcohol to underage teens," he said simply

Kay and I exchanged glances saying 'Thankfully he's gullible'

"You know Miles?" I asked him as he scanned the menu

"A little," he said to the menu

A cocked an eyebrow; why is he acting so suspicious?

Kay took the hint and left us, aiding another customer who just came in.

I studied his face. Yes, it was as charming as ever; brown eyes, tall nose, slightly curled chocolate brown hair and flushed cheeks... wait flushed cheeks?

He caught me looking at him. I quickly turned back to my own menu blushing silently. I heard high pitch laughter from another table and the hit radio station for teens air an awkward commercial about rubber (condoms)

"Stephen?" I asked, breaking the awkward silence

He looked up at me with his innocent eyes. My heart skipped a beat as his angelic face beamed down at me

Okay, maybe a little too innocent angelic face

"I see right threw you, Stephen," I sighed

He sighed too

"My mom was right, I'm not good at lying," Stephen put down the menu

I twisted my spinning bar stool to face him, with curiosity and trying to make him see me... in well, a different way

"I'm all ears," I said softly, looking deep - hopefully not too desperately - into his eyes

"Miles, he's my younger sister's boyfriend," he said slowly

My eyebrows shot up instinctively

"Miles, the owner of this place and your baby sister?" I exclaimed, finally realizing. "Isn't he like 24? And your sister..."

"Abigail, currently 15," Stephen looked down at his palms in his lap

And then I understood why he was acting weird when I pulled into the driveway.

"Stephen, over protective older brother," I leaned against the back of the stool, crossing both my legs and arms, seeming like an arrogant news reporter

His head whipped up giving me a surprised, confused look, "What?"

I sighed, "Stephen, I understand your the over-protective type but please! Have you even met the guy?"

"Once," he said, more like a question than a statement

I gave him a 'do-I-look-dumb-or-are-you-just-playing-with-me' look.

"But it was so obvious he was a pedophile that couldn't be trusted! You gotta agree with me, Levi! A twenty four year old grown man going for a fifteen year old girl. If there isn't something wrong with him there has to be something wrong with me!" he exclaimed, his voice suddenly cracking at the end, making his already immature whining seem worse. But it was still kind of cute.

I sighed maybe too contently, petting the five year old like Stephen on his scalp of curls, slightly giggling as well. He was really cute.

"It's really sweet how you care about her so much but you have to let go of her not so little hand and let her live her life, learning from some unknown mistake. How about today? Maybe trust her a little more?" I advised sweetly and patiently with an added extra warm smile

For a moment he was silent. Then, he finally looked into my eyes and smiled

"I'll try," he mumbled

"Thanks, Stephen. I'm sure it'll make your relationship stronger," I said.

Suddenly, he hugged me. It was the first time he ever made a move on me so I hugged him back gratefully.

'Whatever you do it's useless' Alex's words echoed in my head once again.

My heart stopped. Why would I think of his words at this kind of a moment.

"I could tell you lovebirds are busy but would you like to order?" Kay's voice suddenly came from the other side of the bar table

Startled, we jumped apart

We exchanged shy glances with each other. I couldn't find anything more hilarious so I carefully broke into a fit of giggles and Stephen started chuckling shortly after

"Yes, two cookies please," I smiled.
♠ ♠ ♠
Stephen or Alex ?
Comments& Subcribe?
xoTaylor