Restart My Heart

Cause I can't help it if you look like an angel

I pressed my hair down then tried using my hands as a comb but failed and laughed at my flustered reflection, "My hair always ends up like a rat's nest after P.E."

Stephen's eyes flickered from the road to my hair, "Looks beautiful to me."

I giggled again and checked the mirror one last time and flipped the car mirror back up. After some magic foundation from Ruth, the red rings had seized to exist around my eyes. I didn't know how I could confront Stephy if he found out I had sobbed on the bathroom floor so I went to Ruth, who naturally knew what to do; to calm down.

I shifted nervously in my seat in the passenger seat up front in Stephen's BMW and busied myself by fidgeting with the radio until I heard Nick Jonas' voice.

"You okay?" I could feel his eyes on me again.

I mustered my teasing smile, "You are strict, you know that?"

Stephen chuckled. He had just told me the key steps into mending my relationship with my parents which basically included no side comments because that's what leads to fighting with parents. And I can't fight with my parents; I have to fight the problem. His exact words.

Also, all misunderstandings must be cleared and must not be dragged on. But that was to prevent future misunderstandings. Past misunderstandings must be dealt with differently; I have to sit down with them right when I get home and 'talk' with them. Tell them my feelings. Or something?

And third, I must do nice things whenever I can, like help around the house, do chores. So that way they might stick around longer. I have to change my behavior completely.

"And Levi?" Stephen said, suddenly in a serious voice as we were rounding the corner to my neighborhood. "You have to realize this isn't a one night kind of bonding. It's going to take a lot of work over a very long period of time. Kind of like growing a plant. It takes a lot of maturity and owning up to the things you did wrong. But I know you can do because you have it in you; you are that type of a person."

I smiled faintly, "And what kind of a person is that?"

He turned to look directly at me with his large brown eyes, "An honest person. A good person. A mature person. Need I say more?"

"No thank you,"

The radio suddenly switched into a soft music but I couldn't quiet remember the song. I left my phone at school because I couldn't bear anymore anonymous text messages. What if I broke down again? That's what I was thinking about instead of my parents.

"Okay, Levi what's wrong?" the car suddenly rolled to a stop. We were on my driveway.

"Woah, what?" I clicked my seatbelt off and looked at Stephen, studying him studying me. "Why are you looking at me like that?"

He gave me a 'why-are-you-lying-to-me' look.

"I'm... I'm just nervous about this thing with my parents. What am I suppose to say to them again?" I fiddled with my hair yet again. I wish it could look better. I wish it could look the way I wanted it to be. I wish it didn't look like the wreck I felt inside.

"There is obviously something more than that on your mind because usually you would tease me about the words I choose to say and my cheesy metaphors." Stephen half smiled. No teeth.

"So you admit you use cheesy metaphors," I giggled but it sounded like pathetic gasps for air.

He ran a hand through his hair in a sexy way, drawing out air. I was probably the worse actor in the world. Finally, I sighed.

"Look, I just really don't know if I have it in me to do this, okay?" I lied yet again. How could I tell Stephen about the triangle anyway? 'Oh nothings wrong with me, just some creep geometry shape blackmailing me, no big'. I knew I would have to run the lines with Ruth first before I could ever mention anything to him. He would definitely overreact.

"Don't worry, Levi," Stephen said, seemingly buying it and putting a hand on my leg trying to reassure me and then he probably thought it was too sexual so quickly took it away.

I gave him a 'thanks-for-understanding-this-is-an-impossible-task-you're-putting-me-through' look.

"Sorry, I guess it's a little impossible," he said

"A little?!" I asked, amused by his naivety

"Okay, okay. But I wish all the luck in the world, how about it?" Stephy said with a half grin. He was so incredibly sweet.

"You owe me a cookie after this," I giggled, the reality of confronting my parents finally setting in. I stared at my front door. Were they even home, anymore?

I opened the door but before I got out I took one last look at him.

He smiled. It was right for me to keep being blackmailed from him, right?

And then he kissed me.

I mean, my cheek.

I had already blanked out when he pulled away.

"If it's you I know you can do it," he reassured.

I muttered a bye and slid out the car. I didn't turn back to wave him off but just unlocked the front door. I closed the door behind me and slid right to the floor.

My cheeks blushed a hardcore red.

Did he just?

Why did he?

What just?


And then I finally remembered to breathe and exhaled and inhaled.

Wow.

I giggled to myself like a 5 year old who tried champagne for the first time.

"Levi? Is that you?" I heard a voice come from the stairs

I quickly got back to my feet and brushed myself off as I saw my mother coming down the stairs in her shawl and slippers

I quickly remembered everything Stephen had taught me in the last thirty minutes btu struggled to find anything.

"Hi mother," I said, trying to act normal and... nice

My mother had sour old look on her face. Wrinkles were seriously doing their job on her forehead.

I want to see her smile again. I want daddy to call me her little princesses again. I want them to be home more often so we could have picnics on weekends and then go bowling like we used to. Suddenly, nostalgic feelings rushed through me as my mother tapped her foot on the stairs, the way she always did when she was waiting. I missed her helping me choose outfits at the mall and daddy watching Superbowl and complaining about his back.

And suddenly, I knew exactly what to say to them.

Before I could tear up, I gathered all my courage and asked "Want me to make you some coffee or something?"

She looked at me as if I just grew a third eye. Her hands were still gripping onto the railing, "S-sure? Tea would be nice."

"No problem," I smiled and walked to the kitchen

I felt her following me. I took out her favourite maroon coloured mug and took out a tea bag and started boiling the water

"One milk and two sugars, right?" I asked her taking out the milk and sugar

"You remember?" mother asked astonished.

I looked up at her and smiled "Of course,"

As the water boiled loudly, in attempt to break the silence, I asked her "So where's dad?"

"A business meeting," my mom responded with a tired look. She leaned over the counter, her bun coming undone and her hair spilled over her shoulders.

"Is he going to be home for dinner?" I asked, pouring the hot water into the mug and adding the sugar and milk

"Maybe, why?" she asked as she took the mug

"Let's make him something special for dinner. Actually, I'll make it. You look really tired so go get some beauty sleep, kay?"

Once again, my mother gave me a surprised look

"T-That... would be nice," she responded

"Alright, nighty-night!" I laughed, pushing her up the stairs.

She was about to open her mouth but I interrupted her

"I think I'll call dad so he comes home for sure and I'll wake you up when I'm done so just relax. If you need anything, do not hesitate to ask," I said, shoving her into her king-size bed in the master bedroom and placing her cup of tea on the night table beside her.

"Ok?" she said pulling the blanket to her chin

Just as I was closing the door after I dimmed the lights I heard her voice

"Honey?"

"Y-Yeah?" I said, finally feeling how ironic this was; me being nice to my mother for the first time in God knows how many months

"Thank you,"

"No problem," I said, feeling a little smile creep its way on my face

I whipped everything out of the fridge that I thought was useful while I used the wireless phone in the kitchen to call my dad.

"Hello? Is Mr. Meester there?"I asked

"Yes and you must be Ms.Meester," I heard Dad's secretary,Caroline, reply on the other line

"Yeah," I said as I etched the phone between my shoulder and ear.

"Please wait a moment," she said in the most professional way

I heard in the background Caroline telling dad line 2

After some shuffling I heard Dad's low voice

"Hello, Levi?"

"Hey, dad," I said, casually

"Is something wrong? You're... calling me?"

I laughed

"Yes father I'm calling you. So when are you going to be home? I have a surprise for you,"

"Er... what time do you want me to be home?" he sounded exactly the way mother had when I offered to make her some tea. Was it really that weird I was being nice?

"As early as possible but not too early, this is going to take some time," I said as I almost cut myself trying to cut some veggies and almost dropping the phone.

"6 o'clock?"

I checked the clock. It was 4:30

"Perfect! See you later," I sing-songed. He said an equally surprised bye and hung up.

I finished cutting the veggies and turned on the radio. It wasn't so loud that it could wake up my mom but I could hear it threw all the cooking

I dialed the all too familiar number on the same phone

"Hello?" Stephen's voice said on the other line

"Hey Stephen," I said, trying to hide my happiness but failing

"So how is it going?"

"Making dinner. My mom is sleeping and my dad is coming home like later. I'm going to talk to them over dinner,"

"I see everything is going well,"

"Very well," I laughed, "And you and your sister?"

"Very well, too. Actually she's calling me right now, call you later?"

"Promise. And Stephen?"

"Yeah?"

"You know... it's easier to be happy then always being angry,"

"Reaally?" he sing-songed. I could hear the smile in his voice

"You gotta go right? And I need to finish with dinner and Abigail is calling you, I can hear her," I giggled as Lil Wayne came on the radio

"Bye Levs. Good luck,"

"Thanks Stephy,"

-----------------------------------------

"And they looved my stir fry!" I squealed into the phone.

It was 12 in the morning and dinner had been a huge success. The large grandfather downstairs struck. I was in my room, laying on my bed, telling Stephen everything.

Daddy came home in a very surprised way, wondering if I hit my head on something. I laughed and then he offered to wake mother up while I finished up with my 'surprise'

They loved the stir fry and asked 'Why the sudden change?' Honestly, I wanted to say 'Stephen Gomez!' but well, obviously didn't

And then I finally spilled. Everything I told Stephen before I told them with a 'I want my mother and daddy back' that came out of nowhere. Maybe from that magical box stored in the back of my brain called 'Levi's True Feelings'.

Maybe.

"And daddy called me his little princesses again," I giggled

"I'm really happy for you, Levi," Stephen said sounding really groggy

"Thanks Stephen, You help me with my problems and then you have to listen to me blab on about life from 10 to 12 in the morning. Sucks to be you," I giggled

"Yeah it does," no sound of laughter in his voice

"It does?" I asked panicking

I heard him laugh

"Haha, very funny Stephen," I pouted

"So what did they do to compromise?" he asked controlling his laughter

"#1, home as much as possible.#2 no uber long trips without me. #3 mother promised to teach me different dishes,"

"Your stir fry must be amazing. Would you let me try it?" he asked

"Of course! Definetley! Positively!" I squealed into the phone once again, overflowing with happiness

"Levi? Are you asleep?"a voice came outside my door

"Um, no?" I covered the mouth piece of my cell

The door opened and my parents, in their pajamas,came in.

"Your on the phone at such a late time? You are not bothering your friend are you?"daddy asked, his hands around mother's shoulders

"No, my friend is fine," I laughed

"Is it your boyfriend?" my mother asked. I blushed and she laughed. Thank goodness I was covering the phone.

"Now Johnathan, our daughter is fine. Come, let's go to sleep now," she cooed at daddy

"A boyfriend?!?" daddy's low voice echoed in my large room.

"A friend daddy!" I protested

Mother laughed again, "Good night Sweety. Don't stay up too late," she said winking at me and dragging daddy with her

"Night," I groaned but secretly happy I coud talk to the like the old times.

Even after they left, I kept smiling at the abandoned door opened ajar. I felt that lostalgic feeling of those nights when Daddy kissed me good night and Mother left the door open and double cheked my night light before tucking me in.

The perfct family, a best friend Ruth and a love, Stephen.

Oh Shit, Stephen!

I lifted the phone to my ear,"Stephen?" I stammered

"Hello?" came a sleepy voice

Phew, he was still there

"You falling asleep?" I asked

"Hmm," he hummed into the phone

I laughed "Well don't get too comfortable Sweety, it's gonna be a long night,"

I heard him groaning on the other line and laughed