Why is the Sky Sad?

Flames of Hell

James wasn’t sure if he was dreaming. He had just been called- actually asked for on a telephone by someone not related. And things like that didn’t just happen in his world. Nothing ever happened in his world.

His head was still spinning five minutes after the call had ended. He still sat in his velvet chair holding his red covered book. And he still looked blankly ahead, confused. For five minutes he held his breath, waiting for Emma to call back and laugh in his ear for believing her.

When he was able to once again get oxygen into his deprived lungs, he stood up. There was work to be done. He caught a watered glimpse of himself in the circular window and let out a heavy sigh. There was a lot of work to be done.

He didn’t know where his Emma was planning on taking him, but in the end it didn’t matter. Whether they were going to a five star restaurant or to the barn his appearance could use a little tweaking. Okay, a lot. He itched to dress in another pressed suit, looking as good as any English gentlemen. Of course he had never met anyone English before, but he knew that they always looked sharp.

But, fingers tracing over the Italian silk, James knew it’d be a bad idea. Being dressed to the nines by himself by one thing, in front of cynical thinking people was another. He didn’t want to deal with them- or with Emma- smiling in that mocking way. Yes, casual was the way t go.

He pulled a pair of basically unworn Khakis from his closet, followed by the most casual shirt in his closet. A snow white polo. Tucking the cloth beneath his arm he padded to the bathroom- whistling a nervous tune all the way.

Five more minutes later, James started at his daunting reflection, frowning. He looked like a vampire. An ugly, widow peaked vampire. And there was not one little thing he could do about it.

“James?”

A maid- one whose name escaped him- poked her round head into his room. She smiled, cute dimples appearing near her thin, cracked lips. But as beautiful as it made her look, she still seemed scared. Like if she had the chance she’d just run.

“James, there is someone here to see you.”

Her voice was strained, her words carefully chosen. It made James want to cry. What was so wrong with him that she had to be frightened? Was he really that scary?

“She’s waiting in the car.”

Palms sweaty, for more than one reason, he nodded at the lady and began his decent into hell.



The flames weren’t as thick with his angel there, letting him breathe easier. After the hello’s had been spoken, both their mouths were on lock down. James’ mind spiraled with crazy ideas- wanting to be a hero and end up with the girl like all his stories. But every time he turned to her, so much skin showing, his mind broke down thinking only of ums and the occasional uh.

After what seemed like a lifetime but in reality were only minutes, Emma spoke.

“I hope you don’t mind, but the place is probably going to be pretty crowded tonight.”

Hiding his fear, or at least trying to, he enthusiastically nodded. Great, people. He felt bile start to form in the back of his throat, almost ready to snake up and out of his lips. He concentrated all his energy on keeping it at bay, even closing his tired eyes. Why was he even here?

“Some of my friends will be there too. You’ll like them, they’re pretty awesome.”

Along with the thought of possible vomit, tears started to form in the scared mans eyes, ready to spill out. When could he leave?

“And the DJ there is always pretty great. Tonight is going to be so fun.”

Fun. James’ pulse began to escalate. Yeah, fun.

Emma clenched the steering wheel tightly between her fingers, just for something to do. James wasn’t much for a conversation or at least a two-sided one.

“Why don’t you turn on some music?” She volunteered, her head jerking toward the stereo like he didn’t know where it was.

“Um, uh. Yes.”

Taking her eyes off the road for a split second, she soaked in her companion. Pale, tinted green skin, puffed out cheeks, fluid soaked eyes. He looked like he was about to puke, faint and then puke again.

He took a shaky breath, seemingly nervous and pushed the power button. A girl’s fake voice, singing over overused background music exploded in the small car, vibrating the entire body.
Neither one minded.

Another sad glance at James, Emma pushed the accelerator even harder. By the looks of things she wasn’t the only one who needed a beer.



Richard awoke with a start, every muscle in his body tense, every breath shaky. He knew some bloody nightmare had been the cause but as soon as his mind regained conciseness every memory just flew away, leaving him sweat covered and confused.

He shook his head, trying to shake away his dazed thoughts. Blinking once…twice… He decided now was a good a time as any to face the day. He had a new movie script to read through anyways.

Turning his head in help to crack his sore back Richard saw a head. A woman’s head. His already unorganized thoughts went crazy- every possible scenario flying in and out of his head in seconds. Shit. He took a breath, running a crazed hand through his peppered hair. Shit.

He hoped, prayed, that it wasn’t Emma. That she hadn’t snuck into his room at midnight, acting like a lovesick teenage girl. He didn’t have time for this right now. She needed to back off.

But she probably was the one lying in bed next to him. Who else could it be? He just had to set her straight. Tell her the truth. He should just rip the band-aid off and find James someone new. Maybe that Dirk kid, he seemed nice.

Minutes later, mind made up, Richard threw back the 500-dollar blanket and stared blankly as the woman beside him stirred. Seeing the dark hair, a shade not close to the red like he’d thought, made his mind shut off in confusion.

What?

The woman groaned, rising to meet the man she loved.

“Morning sweetie.”

Maria?
♠ ♠ ♠
This sucks.
I went back and read the last few chapters and realized how bad this really is.
It's written horribly.
It's boring.
And just blah.
I thought practice was supposed to make you better not worse...
Ugh, okay anyways no matter how bad this is I am determined to finish. Whatever it takes (um yeah I'm quoting Degrassi.) So hold on a little bit longer folks, okay. Awesome.