Status: Finished

Welcome the New Life In

I don't have time

Ali was a 25 year old, freshly graduated, college student. She majored in Law, top of her class with honors, starting next week she’d be joining one of the top law firms in the country. With a tall 5’7” slender frame, long flowing blonde hair, and the brightest blue eyes you’d ever seen she was every guys dream. Add to the fact that she was single also helped.

Ali had achieved what many only wish they could in college, she got to be a major party girl, and always succeeded in whatever she put her mind to. She was leaving campus tomorrow, and tonight was her last chance to party with her friends, and there was no way she would miss it.

“Does this look good?” Ali asked her best friend Karl, as she turned around. She was wearing black flip flops and a snug fitting blue sundress to compliment her eyes. Ali stared at him in the mirror as he laughed, she just frowned at him.

“This is serious! I want to look good.” She said sizing herself up in the mirror.

“For the tenth outfit in a row, you look gorgeous.” Karl said, and in all honesty he thought she was beautiful every single day. Of course his opinion could be considered bias, since he’s been in love with her for three years. Tonight at the party they were going to, after a few beers for courage of course, he planned on letting her know.

“Good, because your opinion really matters to me.” Ali said sitting on his lap and kissing his cheek.

She’d considered Karl her best friend for three years, she loved him to death, but not in the way she knew he wanted. They walked out of the building her dorm was in, making their way to one of the frat houses. The sun was setting and the sky was a beautiful melding of blue, pink, purple, and slight orange. Ali loved sunsets they were her favorite part of every day. As Karl and Ali walked she could feel people’s eyes on her front and back. She wasn’t conceited, just people tended to watch her, so she was used to the attention. Ali had countless guys try to take her hand, be her boyfriend, but she was the kind of girl who for now, was putting her career first. Maybe in a few years she would have time for that, but not now. Karl pulled her out of his thoughts when he started talking,

“So tomorrow is the big day huh? You’re leaving all this behind.” He said throwing his arms in the air for added effect. Ali just giggled and looked at him, he always made her laugh.

“Yup,” she nodded, “but don’t worry I’ll never forget about you. I’ll come back to visit whenever I can.” Ali smiled at him.

“Good, don’t forget about the small people who made you what you are today.” Karl said.

“I know I’ll have to thank my professors in my Nobel Peace Prize acceptance speech.” Ali said seriously and Karl just glared at her.

“No, I mean the guy who studied with you in late night cram sessions, and bought you Ben & Jerry’s Phish Food.” He said.

“Yea, yea.” She said as they got to the party. Ali hit her hip against Karl’s and winked at him, going inside.

This is it, I’m going to tell her

Karl thought this as he watched Ali walk up the stairs into the house. Ali was randomly talking to people when she noticed Karl walking over to her like he as on a mission.

“Ali, we need to talk.” He said grabbing her hand pulling her to a corner, “I love you, let me finish before you say anything. I always have, since the first day I met you. I love everything about you.”

Karl continued to list off the things he loved about her then he finished,

“Ali I would never forgive myself if I let you go tomorrow and not tell you.” He said, and Ali just felt tears in her eyes. Karl could tell these weren’t happy tears, he felt his heart sink. He always hoped, just maybe, she might love him back. Ali started to cry,

“Oh my gosh Karl. That’s the sweetest thing anyone has ever said to me. I wish…I wish I could feel the same. I love you so much, just not in that way. Right now I don’t have time in my life for a relationship. I know this sounds lame and cliché, but you’re going to find a girl who has everything you want and need. I’m so sorry.” Ali started choking on her tears, “I have to go now, but please come to the train station tomorrow.” Ali added the last part quickly, kissed Karl’s cheek and ran off.

Ali stood quietly looking around waiting for Karl to show up when the announcement her train was boarding came on.

Five minutes

Five minutes was all she had for him to show up. Then she saw him running to her, when he got there he hugged her tight.

“I thought I was going to miss you.” Karl said, out of breath.

“No you didn’t, listen I’m always here for you no matter what. You have my number, I’ll see you in a few months. When I come back I expect you to have a girlfriend.” She said and Karl just chuckled.

“Yea, yea.” He said.

It was now or never, she had to show him there was nothing there, that he’d be ok without her. The hardest part was she may be giving up the only guy who would ever truly love her. Ali grabbed Karl’s face and kissed him.

"The kiss was quick, brief, and almost unfilled with emotion. The kiss was empty. Though there was no choice, there was no turning back now. Stepping onto the train was the only thing Ali could do. The bag around Ali’s shoulder weighed a ton. There was no option, there was no choice, it was time to go. The train announcement rung through the station one more time, time to go. Welcome the new life in."
♠ ♠ ♠
I really hope I did
a good job relating
the quote to the story =]
I actually quite love it

Again the last paragraph was written by FallBackDown. I did not write it.