Sequel: Attero Vicis

The Wasted Days.

I Can See You Starting to Break.

I woke up with my head on something that was only semi-soft and seemed to be moving. I reached behind my head with my arm and felt the soft cotton of a shirt. I jumped slightly, spinning around as much as I could with the limited space the couch gave me. "Jare?" I asked softly, only half hoping he would hear me.

I don't know what the other half was thinking, but something tells me it was the crazier half.

"What?" He groaned.

"What's going on?" I yawned. Then after what I'd said registered in my own mind I covered my mouth with a hand. "I mean, what are you doing here, yet." I muttered. Trying to forget what had happened this morning.

Or was it last night?

"I'm not leaving you, Salem." He laughed, as if I were stupid for thinking he'd leave.

"Why not?" I pouted slightly, moving to stand up, only for him to pull me backwards so my back was against his warm chest.

"Why would you think I'd leave?" He whispered, his breath hitting the back of my ear softly and making me shiver. "Do you want a blanket?"

I shook my head, "I would kind of like some food, though." I mumbled and he finally let me to my feet. I scowled up at him as he kept a hand on my lower back. "I'm not gonna collapse or something, Jared."

"How can I be sure?" He asked, half smiling down at me, but I could tell he was half serious. I rolled my eyes before sprinting for the kitchen, Jared right on my heels. I was sliding across the tiled floor laughing, unable to stop myself from hitting the hard, cold edge of the counter. "What the hell was that?" He asked, a tiny tint of anger in his voice as he hit the counter beside me.

"I won." I looked up at him, panting a little. "Did you let me win?" I asked him, narrowing my eyes. "You better not have let me win just because I’m…” He glared at me and I just burst. "What? Am I not supposed to remember? Am I not supposed to bring it up? Because I know you. I know we’ll have to talk about it. I’m sorry if you’re scared! I’m sorry that you feel, for some reason, obligated to stay here with me. I’m fine by myself Jared! I don’t need you to stay here with me.” I yelled at him.

“Calm down.” He muttered, taking small, cautious steps towards me before engulfing me in a tight hug. I wished that he’d never let go. I wished that we could just stay in that moment forever. I wished that I hadn’t blown up. I wished and I wished and I wished.

Jared set his chin lightly on top of my head, draped an arm around my waist, and held his other hand tightly against my shoulder. Holding me to him. I laid my head on his chest, trying desperately to keep the tears from my eyes. “It’s okay.” He whispered, leaning his head down towards my ear. I felt something vibrating and gave a small, quiet, soggy laugh.

“I bet it’s Lex.” I smiled up at him before turning to wipe at my eyes.

“I hope not.” He grumbled.

“You didn’t really mean it when you told her…” I trailed off. He looked at me confused. “Right?"

“Why wouldn’t I mean it? She was…” He stopped checked the caller ID, hit ignore, and then looked back up at me. “She was being selfish and she was just…” The look in his eyes was heartbreaking.

“You shouldn’t have done that.” I muttered.

“And why not, Sayers?” He asked, coming over to me so he could ruffle my hair while I leaned into the cupboard for the peanut butter.

“Because.” I smiled at him while he grabbed a few pieces of bread and handed them to me.

“Because why?”

“Because I said so.” I pulled a butter knife from the drawer behind him and started to spread the creamy peanut butter over the pieces of bread.

“Who ever said that your say matters?” He asked snatching one of the pieces from my plate.

“I did.” I stuck my tongue out at him as we both made our way back into the living room, leaving the mess in the kitchen.

“Oh, yeah, okay.” He said sarcastically and I pushed his shoulder a little, hardly making him move.

“Jerk.” I muttered.

“Aw, Sayers!” He yelled laying an arm around my shoulders. “You know you love me!”

I pulled back a little and looked up into his big, blue eyes. He was smiling, but I could still see all of the sadness he was trying to hide from me and everybody else. I looked to my feet. “Yeah, I know.” I whispered, not knowing nor caring if he heard or not.

~~~

Some mid-morning game show was blaring at us, quizzing it’s contestants, and all around just making me feel more stupid than I had before. “Can we change the channel?” Jared grumbled from beside me. I nodded a little over-enthusiastically.

I reached for the remote and flipped through a few channels, passing soaps and info-mercials. “Hey, hey, hey! Stop!” Jared yelled, reaching over to grab the remote away from me. He then proceeded to flip back through the channels until a giggling, yellow sponge took up the entirety of my screen.

“You’re kidding me, right?” I asked, but one glance at the face Jared was making at me told me that he was, in fact, not kidding. His raised eyebrows and slightly wide eyes told me he thought I was entirely insane. “Jare!” I whined, fighting to regain control over the remote.

“No!” He yelled, too loud. I leaned backwards, picking at my ear, rubbing it a little. “Because I know you’ll just go to some stupid music channel and want to watch some stupid reality show or something.” He was just a little quieter this time.

“That’s so not fair of you to say!” I yelled at him.

He rolled his eyes. “Oh, yeah, then what were you changing the channel to?”

“Anything but that game show! Or SpongeBob!” I yelled, how could anyone survive watching that without going completely brain dead? I’d rather die with at least a little of my mind left, but even I knew not to say that out loud. “Jesus.” I muttered. Suddenly I had a hellacious headache.

“Are you okay?” He whispered, leaning over towards me. I kept my face turned away with two fingers pressing into my temple.

“No, your stupid show is giving me a headache already.” I mumbled.

“Impossible.” He laughed, pulling me around to face him and I nearly jumped out of my skin at his quiet gasp. “Shit.” He muttered to himself.

“What?” I asked, confused.
♠ ♠ ♠
I’m so sorry it’s been so long, but updates should be quicker in a few weeks. After school’s over and the summer madness is starting to fade. You know?

I’ve decided that Breaking Benjamin’s song Give Me A Sign is amazing and that you should all listen to it.

If you can think of any other songs that match this story, please, please, please tell me. I’m building a playlist to help write and I only have like seven songs on it at the moment.

Title Credit: Give Me A Sign