Sequel: Attero Vicis

The Wasted Days.

I Guess I’ll Go Home Now.

I yawned into my hand, pulling it closer and then farther away from my mouth, making a wobbly sound. I smiled sleepily. I felt better today. “Thank God it’s Friday.” I muttered, walking to my mirror.

The light streaming through my windows was grey and barely there, and I knew it was still early. It would be another cloudy day, but at least the orange and red and yellow leaves would still be there on the trees for me, at least for a little while.

I made a ‘myspace fish-face’ at the mirror, laughing silently to myself. I ran fingers through my hair, “Maybe a shower would do me good.” I glanced at the clock. The numbers 7:47 glared back at me, making me shrug, “Maybe not until after school.”

I changed out of my pajamas I’d hardly put on last night, and then ran a brush through my auburn locks. I smiled to myself in the mirror and stuck out my tongue. Today was a good day, and I was hoping nothing would come to ruin my mood.

“Sayers! You up?” Jared yelled up the stairs as I came down them.

“What do you think?” I asked before scrunching my eyes together. “I didn’t hear you come in.”

“Do you normally hear me come in?” He asked, confused.

“You’re not a ninja, Jare. You’re actually really loud.” I nodded towards him as I grabbed his wrist and pulled him around, into the kitchen, where I popped two pieces of bread down into the toaster. “Where’s Lexa?”

“I told you, she thinks she has the flu.” He deadpanned.

I rolled my eyes, “Well, I figured that since Lexa is Lexa, she’d come around to infect the rest of us.” I gave him the clear ‘duh’ look.

“Sorry.” He raised his hands into the air, “Either way, she’s really only skipping.” He sighed.

“And you don’t like that?” He squinted his eyes at me. “Or… you don’t care?” My voice went up an octave out of confusion.

“No, I just think it’s…” He trailed off as my toast popped.

I grabbed it out of the toaster and put butter on both pieces. “You think it’s… what?” I asked and then held a piece out to him, “You want one.”

He nodded and silently took my offering. “It’s nothing. Never mind.” I gave him a skeptical look as I took a bite of my toast.

“What time is it anyway?” I yawned out, suddenly not feeling hungry.

“Don’t worry, we still have another ten minutes or so.” He smiled at me before taking another huge bite from the toast.

I nodded, mostly to myself.

~~~

It was only after second period but I could barely drag my feet up the stairs anymore. I felt like I could just pass out, I was so tired. As I reached the top of yet another staircase I let my head loll backwards as I went to lean against a wall. I still had another set of stairs to go and with a quick glance at my watch, I found that I only had a minute before the bell.

I took the stairs as quickly as I could and I walked quickly to my locker. I spun in the combination before quickly grabbing my book and a binder full of paper. The pale lockers seemed to stretch on forever down the hallway and the tiled floor seemed to mirror them. I glanced longingly out the window at the end of the hall, where orange and golden leaves twirled downward on a breeze and the sky was painted bright blue with barely any of the expected puffy white clouds.

Suddenly, I found myself thinking of Jared and his eyes.

I stalked off to the room I needed to be in, but the bell still rang right before I hit the doorway. “Shit.” I mumbled under my breath. I looked up sheepishly at Mr. O’Connell, or as we preferred to call him, ‘Mr. Whiskey’, because we’re sure that’s what’s in the little silver flask he always drinks from when we get a little rowdy.

“And why are you late, Miss Harker?” He asked as some of my more immature classmates started yelling back and forth between each other. I blocked them out as I looked down to where I was wringing my hands.

“I think I might be going home.” I whispered. I looked back up at him, I’d never realized how tall he was, unsure if he had heard me.

He had an eyebrow raised. “You do?” Then his eyes scanned my face before softening. “You do look a little pale.”

I nodded quickly, just glad he was being quiet enough so that only the two of us could hear his words. After a short awkward silence I turned to start walking away, but he gently grabbed my arm. “Your parents aren’t home from that trip yet, are they?” He asked and I shook my head slowly, cautiously. “I didn’t think so.” He stated simply before turning around to examine the class.

I noticed the only person paying attention to us was Jared and his eyes were deep, blue pools of worry. I found myself lowering my gaze, not being able to take it. “Jared. Jared Sanders.” He said loud enough for everyone to hear. As soon as everyones eyes were facing the front of the room Mr. O’Connell was motioning for him to follow us to the door. “Would you be so kind as to take her home? And stay with her?” I was shocked and my eyes bugged out of my head.

How was that allowed? Could he really do that?

“Okay.” Jared said, his worried eyes now turned to me again, but I still couldn’t stand to look at him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yeaaah… I’m posting again.

Just because I can’t wait to post more into the better parts (or what I think are better parts) and I felt bad for not posting in forever.

Edit: If you haven’t realized all the chapter titles are all from the same song, know that they are. It’s Remembering Sunday by All Time Low (I recommend you listen to it if you haven’t already heard it.)