Status: In progress

People of the Night

Prologue: Crimson Velvet

And it came to cue in that very second, as my teeth pierced deep into the velvet texture of her fearfully pale skin, that, at last, I had gotten to taste what the strong, barely stoppable desire, which had been leading and dragging my attention towards her, tasted like.

Anticipating the first stream of blood, urging me, with all my lust, to rip her soft neck apart, impatiently waiting for the chance to finally glut my hunger, watching for the ideal opportunity to appear, after stalking her for weeks on end.

My arms, already taking a hold around her body in a bounding grip, one hand locking her head in place, the other wrapped around her waist, ready to break the fall of her soon-to-be limp corpse, after I'd suck the last drop of vitality from her pumping veins.
Was it the first flow of life, the long wait I had submerged myself through, or the satisfaction of a successful hunting, I could not be utterly sure, but the liquid brought me a better ecstasy then ever before.

Feeling the beat pound rhythmically, a rush of content lingered through my senses, awakening the perception of tranquilizing pleasure as her blood started circulating inside of me, paralyzing me with the synchronization of the hypnotic drumming from her heart.
It never ceased to amaze me how my system worked. So simple, yet efficient.
How nutrition could quench a creature such as myself with the most heavenly feeling you could only imagine as a human being.
Take all your fears and worries, pain and discontent, replace them with pleasure and content, love and ecstasy, multiply them a million times and still you only get a peep of what satisfying your only true need felt like.

* 'I can feel the emptiness inside me fade and disappear
There's a feeling of contentment now that you are here
I feel satisfied
I belong inside
Your velvet heaven.'


And such a good victim she was being; poor thing didn't even put up a fight, not as much as a single whimper from her pouty lips, just noisy exhales of her hot breath, as the thumps of her heart picked up on their pace, followed by the distinct flavor of shock and adrenalin.
I didn't want such a beautifly fragile thing to suffer further, thus I pulled my teeth out her skin, mouth still pressed against the wound, as I twisted my tongue across the two round gashes, licking the pain gone.
Don't fear, I'll take the hurt away in a second, be patient, darling.
There's no reason why we couldn't both enjoy this.


I could feel her slipping down, giving into my arms, her legs lazily weakening under the pressure of her torso.
It was not long before she crossed over her state of consciousness, the slowing heartbeat bringing me along the way to the inside of her mind.

Just as an observer, I watched the memories flowing through the soul of this young mortal, comfortably numb, as though I was sitting in a theater, viewing her memories as the play of her life acted out before my eyes.
Sweet moments versus bitter moments.
Pain and joy.
Laughter; tears.
I was content.
In that very flash, for the first time in my entire count of immortal years, I felt something for a mortal, something beside the lust after their blood.
I felt like maybe she could be my first creation, maybe she could be my original addition to the vampire offspring...
...or maybe not.
The last remaining thumps of her weakened heart were what stunned me, bursting me out of the comfortable bubble her life had put me in. They were the beats that reached deeper down into the bare core of the subconscious, recovering memories older than the body.
With each pulse the beats brought upon only fragments of a story – a tale, which felt distinctly familiar.

Dead nevertheless, yet so alive in my own vision.
Was it even possible?
It was a memory I had already known, a recollection with my own image in it.
A memory outlived far, far back.
What have I done?
And I pulled myself to a halt – right before the last remaining pounds of her heart were about to cease beating.
Right before I took the last gulp away.
♠ ♠ ♠
* Depeche Mode - Only when I lose myself