Silverbell

The Broken Wand

'Dear Uncle Remus,

I was thinking about you today and wanted to tell you that I really miss you, don't get me wrong I'm having a lot of fun, have you seen the library?' Remus chuckled lightly wiping at the tears that refused to stop as his eyes moved absently to his closet. 'It is amazing, I got in trouble my first visit, I was just so impressed I couldn't help myself I had to do it, I had to gasp and ooh, and awe. Madam Pince was a little cross at me for being so loud, once I found out she was the librarian I couldn't help myself again, I just started blurting things out, then she got really cross. But then she found out how much I love books and I sort of, would you call it working or volunteering if I put books away and help people find books? Anyway Madam Pince and I are quite good friends now.

'There's so many things I want to tell you, I love Ravenclaw by the way, I feel like I belong here, even though no one else even fellow Ravenclaws read the classics as avidly as I do. Percy is really, really nice, we talk in-between classes sometimes. I love charms, it's a great class! I can't wait to come home for Chirstmas, it's not that far off you know.' Remus smiled, he knew, he'd already gotten her a new book. 'Oh, the Caretaker, Mr. Filch,' “Mr.?” Remus murmured, her remembered Filtch from when he was a student, well leave it to Bell to call that sour old prune Mr. 'has a very lovely cat, her name is Mrs. Norris, I tried to give her some table scraps but she didn't seem to like me. I left them for her though.' Remus chewed his lip, Bell always wanted another cat but never dared to ask for one, not after Mable. Remus was hit with a wave of guilt.

'I'm so happy I didn't chicken out, thank you so much for making me go! It's really fun here, I have a bunch of new friends and we just talk and giggle and there are so many things to do! We got to go to Hogsmead (thank you for the permission) and had a blast, literally I don't know what was going on but someone blew something up! I was really frightened at first but the teachers calmed everything down and several students got in trouble. Anyway, I got a lot of candy and I shared it with all of my friends, and Percy showed me the fine art of eating a chocolate frog, which I still don't like, is it eating an animal if it's made from chocolate? Do the chocolate frogs think? I hope not, if so I murdered a poor little froggy.

I don't think I have a favorite class, but I don't like Herbology too much... I killed a plant.' Remus laughed, Bell had wanted a garden ever since she read the book, 'Secret Garden,' but all attempts to grow anything ended the same, shriveled dead brown things. He felt guilty but Remus highly doubted Bell would succeed in that class.

Oh, and thank you again for Gloria I just love her so, so much and even though you say she's old she looks young and spry to me! Thank you again for everything and remember I love you!

Oh, can house points go negative? Just you know out of curiosity.

I love you lots and lots

Love, Bell

P.S. You may also receive a letter or possibly even a howler from Professor McGonagall, you may even have it by now but I hope not because I ran to my room to write you this as fast as I could after I was allowed to leave her office. Let me remind you how much I truly love you, I love you so much Uncle Remus! And let me say one more thing, it wasn't my fault and I didn't do it, respectively!

Love you again, Bell'

Remus sat up in bed a howler? What had Bell done? Well he was about to get his answer a large black owl had just landed in his window, could the day get any worse?

'Dear Remus Lupin,

I regret to inform you that your ward, Silverbell, Rachel, Morning Glory, Black has been causing quite a bit of trouble.' Remus cringed this didn't sound good, no wonder Bell had used the phrase, 'I love you,' so many times. ' While in Transfiguration class this morning she successfully transformed a fellow student into a rather large salad bowl rather then the canary in front of her.' Remus burst out laughing, was that it? A slip of the wand he was worried for nothing. Still smiling he continued. 'This at first I believed had been a mishap which is to be expected when teaching young witches and wizards, a friend of the girl however shouted something at Silverbell and attempted to turn he into a tea cup. Her spell missed however and got the boy in the row behind young Miss Bell. Needless to say this erupted to a Transfiguration war among the class which I soon put a stop to.

'When questioned about the incident Silverbell admitted to changing Susan into said salad bowl on purpose.' “What?” Remus shouted scowling at the paper. When Bell came home a two weeks time she was in for it! 'Although admirably honest of her to admit what she had done it was not a very bright choice. This act resulted in the loss of two hundred house points, and suspension of her Hogsmead privileges, and a month's detention.' Remus shook his head.

'Later in the day however Silverbell was confronted by those two girls she seemed to have it out for, and according to a friend of you ward's had it out for her. The two girls as I am told from bystanders hexed Silverbell as she was walking by causing her to trip and fall over her dropped skirt reveling to all her undergarments.' Remus was suddenly very angry how could anyone do that to his Bell? He knew the hex, it was one James had used on Severus many a times while they were in school. 'Miss Bell then reportedly pulled up her own skirt and then physically deskirted Susan, which resulted in a scuffle, during which Silverbell's wand was broken, it is beyond repair. She is currently using a wand I have provided for her, but you must replace the broken wand, she needs wand of her own. May I suggest the up coming school break.

Sincerely, Professor McGonagall'

“Good heavens!” Remus exclaimed mentally exasperated. Grabbing a pen and two pieces of paper, on one he scratched,

'Dear Professor McGonagall,

I am deeply sorry for the way my niece has been behaving, I can assure you it will never happen again and that I find your punishments to be sound. I will be taking her to get a new wand this holiday break as you have suggested, she should however know that, that may be all she gets this year. Please be sure that Bell gets the inclosed note.

Thank you again, and best wishes,

Remus Lupin'

He looked at what he'd just written, it sounded about right. He moved on to the next piece of paper,

'Dear Bell,

Your letter arrived first, but only just. When you get home we have a lot to discuss.

I still love you,

Uncle Remus'

Sighing he placed the notes into an envelope and gave them to the black owl which was still standing by. After the bird left he collapsed onto the bed, his weary eyes locked on the closet door.