Silverbell

Letters

Remus’s tears soaked into the cream colored envelope he held in his hands, it was from Azkaban, from Sirius. A black feathered owl whose wings were tipped white had dropped it to him just moments ago moments ago. This was the third letter he’d received this month, and like the others before it he dared not open it. Instead he stood and placed it in a small box with the other letters, along with his photos of Siruis which he then placed in his dresser. There was a light knocking at the door, and after wiping his face Remus said in the most cheerful voice he could muster, “Come in Bell.”

The little girl drug her teddy bear behind her as she walked into her uncle’s room. “Can’t sleep?” Remus asked crouching to eye level.

“Uh-uh…” She said rubbing a big brown eye. “I miss daddy,” She said now on the verge of tears herself. “When’s he coming back?”

Remus bit his lip, “Not-not for a while sweetie…” He said brushing the hair from her face.

“How long’s a while?” She whined. Sighing he said,

“Tell you what, why don’t we get some nice warm hot chocolate, and after that I’ll tuck you in nice and tight hm? Does that sound like a plan?” He asked taking her hand and walking her out of the room.

“Will you tuck me in like daddy?” She asked pleading eyes looking up at him…

“REMUS!” Sirius screamed through the bared window of his cell. “Remus you bastard, you said you’d do anything for me!” He shouted. “Two things Remus, two things was all I asked of you!”

“Hey, you, quite down in there!” Another man yelled from Sirius’s cell door.

“Why,” Sirius wept. “Why did you lose faith in me?!” He asked lying on his rickety cot which smelled of sweat and mothballs. “Why Remus, why?”