Silverbell

The Mirror

The light was blinding, it burnt harshly against his raw skin. "Oh," Remus moaned turning his head away from the broken window. Pushing himself up with his hands the naked Remus looked around his battered home. Everything was in pieces, couch stuffing was everywhere, as was glass and wood splinters. "I guess Bell won't be getting piano lessons any more!" He laughed to himself as he saw the demolished hunk of wood, wire and keys in the corner.

Bell! Had she been home? Tears sprang into eyes a he tried to get up and failed falling clumsily back to the floor. "Bell!" He called stumbling into the hallway. "No, please no, in the name of all that is holy and good please let Bell be alright." He pleaded before shouting, "Silverbell, Rachel, Morning Glory, Black you answer me right now! Are you alright?" There was no reply. Remus looked through the first floor meticulously, had she hidden in the cupboards, the washer or dryer, what of the oven, she could fit?

Frantically weeping he rushed up stairs and froze, blood. The hall was red with blood. Remus braised himself against the wall. "Bell..." He whispered his voice gone. Trembling he followed the trail of blood down the hall and into her room. His stomach wretched, there was a piece on intestine on the floor. "Oh God!" He cried collapsing to the ground. "I killed her!" He sobbed into the blood soaked floor. "My little Bell is dead!" She must have hidden under her bed for it was flipped onto it's side, the mattress and box-spring leaned against the wall precariously.

"Oh, Bell, I'm so sorry I couldn't stop myself, I'm so sorry!" He said approaching the mattress. Shaking he moved it away, his stomach wretched again, her innards were strewn everywhere, her body must have been under the bed frame for all he could see was a patch of her lovely black hair coated in blood. "Oh, Bell!" He said stroking it, but it was too short, her head too small... Throwing aside the bedding he saw that it was Mable Bell's cat that lie there dead, not Bell herself!

"Bell!" Remus screamed his voice breaking. He looked everywhere to no avail. It was then that he knew what he had to do. Standing in-front of the mirror he gazed into his own eyes. He remembered the first time he learned how to do this, it was greatly disturbing, and still was every time. Taking a deep breath he starred intently into the dark pools that were his pupils. Slowly his dark green eyes paled and began to yellow. Images began to swim up out of his mind and into his reflection becoming crisper as they filled the mirror.

It came if brief flashes at first, the hideous deformity that was he half way between forms, the destruction of the piano, a flood of pain as he broke the banister and fell to the floor below. Then the images became clear, he saw the slaughter of Mable and wretched, he couldn't look away, couldn't break eye contact with his Lycan self. Suddenly he saw Bell, she was crying, running, falling the fear in her eyes so intense. Running from room to room Bell tried to fend off the Werewolf that was her only guardian.

Suddenly he was falling through the banister again, only this time he saw that he had brought Bell down with him. With great difficulty she scrambled to her feet clutching an arm close to her chest. "Oh Bell he wept." Her arm was visibly broken. Struggling she managed to get to her feet and made her way to the chimney. Scooping up a handful of flu-powder she climbed inside. "Damn it!" Remus shouted breaking the mirror with his fist. "She could be anywhere!" He sobbed "Anywhere!"

He knew he couldn't involve the Muggle police, nor could he involve the ministry or risk loosing her forever. He dressed quickly and as he rushed out out of the bedroom he saw the waste basket overturned crumpled papers everywhere. Stooping down he picked one up, it read, "Call me if you need anything Mr. Lupin, Principal Grear, 859-2515" He took a deep breath and picked up the phone...