Untitled

How To Save A Life

Step one you say we need to talk
He walks you say sit down it's just a talk
He smiles politely back at you
You stare politely right on through
Some sort of window to your right
As he goes left and you stay right
Between the lines of fear and blame
You begin to wonder why you came

Where did I go wrong, I lost a friend
Somewhere along in the bitterness
And I would have stayed up with you all night
Had I known how to save a life

Let him know that you know best
Cause after all you do know best
Try to slip past his defense
Without granting innocence
Lay down a list of what is wrong
The things you've told him all along
And pray to God he hears you
And pray to God he hears you

Where did I go wrong, I lost a friend
Somewhere along in the bitterness
And I would have stayed up with you all night
Had I known how to save a life

As he begins to raise his voice
You lower yours and grant him one last choice
Drive until you lose the road
Or break with the ones you've followed
He will do one of two things
He will admit to everything
Or he'll say he's just not the same
And you'll begin to wonder why you came

Where did I go wrong, I lost a friend
Somewhere along in the bitterness
And I would have stayed up with you all night
Had I known how to save a life

Where did I go wrong, I lost a friend
Somewhere along in the bitterness
And I would have stayed up with you all night
Had I known how to save a life
How to save a life
How to save a life

Where did I go wrong, I lost a friend
Somewhere along in the bitterness
And I would have stayed up with you all night
Had I known how to save a life

Where did I go wrong, I lost a friend
Somewhere along in the bitterness
And I would have stayed up with you all night
Had I known how to save a life
How to save a life


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“She didn’t die of an overdose.”

“She died of rabies. Okay people all of our transplant patients are infected, we now know what were dealing with here. Let’s get involved, we can do this!”

All the doctors and surgeons started getting to work with the patients trying to save them. Working tirelessly and endlessly to save the transplant patients. They did all they could over the next few days to keep the transplant patients going but odd’s were against them. First they lost Mrs Sykes. She was Elliot’s patient and she had needed a new liver. She would have died with out the liver but she died anyway. Elliot had spent so long trying to help Mrs Sykes live while they found her a liver and when they did she thought that everything was going to be okay because Jill Tracy was meant to have died of an cocaine overdoes not rabies.
And then Turk’s patient Mr Denson he needed a new heart valve he too would have died with out one. Turk was so disappointed when Mr Denson dies. He was supposed to live that’s what a transplant meant to do, make them live, not die. When the line went dead Turk felt dumbfounded, this wasn’t supposed to happen. He pulled of the sticky tabs off his plump body as the nurse looked on helplessly.
J.D new that Dr. Cox was going to feel terrible about the call he made and new that he needed him the way that he had needed Dr. Cox when he thought Jill Tracy had died from a drug overdoes which he could have stopped. He found him in the Dr’s lounge. Sitting on the couch staring blankly at the opposite wall. J.D walked in with some lunch in a white paper bag.
“Hey, hungry.” He showed Cox the bag in home that he would eat.
“No.” He said it in such a quite and forlorn voice, none of his usual fierce determination.
“Guess that lunch was kinda a one time thing eh?”
He looked at the disheartened man still staring resolutely at the wall and sat down beside him trying to think of the right words that would pull him out of it.
“There was no way you could have seen that coming,” he started “I mean rabies? Come on there’s like three reported cases a year.” He was silent for a moment and the words just started to flow out because he didn’t have to choose his words carefully the words he was saying were the truth. “In fact testing for it would have been irresponsible, it would have wasted time those people didn’t have.”
Still in the same voice as before Dr. Cox spoke in a monotone, “I. was. obsessed with getting those organs.”
“You had to be, the fact is those people were going to die in a number of hours and you had to make a call.” He paused for a second to let what he said sink in. “I would have made the same call.”
Dr. Cox looked at him like a lost child looking for reassurance from the adult; he wasn’t Dr. Cox he was little Perry wanting a hug. “Yer?”
“Yes.” JD nodded giving just what Perry needed. “And I got us lunch and I think we should eat it.”
Right then JD new he was going to pull him out of that, he leaned over and got the burgers out of the bag and placed one in front of the older man, but some days the hospitals just gonna pick a day to pile everything on. And as JD went to pull out his both their beepers went off simultaneously. They both went to look and as Perry saw what he was looking he couldn’t believe it.
“Oh God. Come on.”
He rushed to Dave he couldn’t let this happened, he just couldn’t. Carla, a look of pure concentration plastered on her face, pumped the dying man with oxygen as Cox shouted
“Clear!” A surge of electricity surged into Dave’s body. Dave could not die. He wouldn’t let him. He understood him and his father’s hate/hate relationship better than anyone.
Nothing.
More oxygen
“Clear!” More electricity pounded his body on the bed. “Come on!”
Nothing.
More oxygen
“Clear.” Electricity invaded his body again willing his heart to react to it.
“Come on1 Come on!” There was nothing. The distraught man threw the charges over the machine shouting “Come on!” He flipped the table over “God! God! God!” He shouted interlocking his hands behind his head.
Carla gave him of look of complete sorrow as she and the other nurses took of their rubber gloves and put them on the bed leaving a crying Cox in the dead patient’s room. J.D came up next to him as they looked on at Dave’s peaceful body. Cox’s voice went back to the small child like voice from before. “He. wasn’t about to die, was he newbie?” J.D stood there not knowing what to say. “Could have waited another month for a kidney.”
Still J.D said nothing and the reassurance Perry was looking for didn’t come. He left the room, down the ICU, passed all the other now empty beds of Mrs Sykes and Mr Denson. J.D followed him and said accusingly as Perry took of his gloves.
“Where are you going your shifts not over?” Perry ignored him. “Hey! Remember what you told me? The second you start blaming yourself for people’s deaths, there’s no coming back.”
The dishevelled man in front of J.D looked around. “Yer. You’re right.”
And with that he walked right out of the ICU and the hospital itself leaving J.D standing there looking at his fallen mentor.
♠ ♠ ♠
please tell me what you think. I hope I have done it justice and just for the record I didn't right the skript or the stage directions, but the format and feelings are what I thought the characters were feeling and what the amazing cast of Scrubs portrayed on screen

xoxo
sailor emo