It’s Going to Come Back Around

Dos

Now the competition was today, and I had come across a pearly white skating leotard in Lilly’s room early that Sunday morning. That was Lilly’s friend Jamie’s leotard.

“Why do you have Jamie’s costume and Tara’s skates?” I asked Lilly.

“Why do you care? I told you, I’m not going to lose,” she replied.

“You wouldn’t even be winning fairly if you ruin everyone else’s game,” I told her. Doesn’t she understand she’d only be winning by default?

“All that matters is the medal and everyone knowing I got first place, no matter whether it’s fair or not.” I decided to end the conversation there because I knew I wasn’t getting anywhere with her. I wondered how many other things she’s messed with.

When the afternoon came around, my dad came into my room to tell me we were leaving for the competition. I reluctantly got into the car, and off we went to the skating rink along with Lilly and my parents.

The rink was packed with parents, adoring fans, and competitors of all ages. Skaters ranging from age 7 to age 15, my sister’s age, were stretching and preparing for the first round. Lilly joined her so-called friends, which some were panicking over their strange disappearances of leotards or ruined skates. I joined my parents in the stands.

All of the rounds seemed to zip by. Lilly had been skating brilliantly, but there were also some others who might’ve been just as good. I noticed that Tara, Lilly’s friend, had on her ruined skates, and she performed a terrible routine; I felt bad for her. Jamie had on a different lemon colored leotard due to the disappearance of her own.

Every skater was on their last round, and Lilly was last to wrap it up. Surprisingly, she fell three times over, making it her worst performance yet. “Maybe the guilt got to her? Is that why she is messing up?” I thought. I noticed a nervous expression on Lilly’s face as she assumed her last position to the song. Several anxious minutes passed, and the judges were finally about to reveal the winners.

A middle-aged woman stood with microphone held in hand. She wore a professional suit and had her graying hair pulled into a bun on the top of her head. “In third place,” she announced, “is Susan Day!” Cheering erupted from the people around me. The younger girl named Susan received her bronze medal and waved to fans in the crowd as she took her spot on the pedestal. As the shouts died down, the judge continued, “In second place… Mallory Duffman!” I noticed Lilly’s friend Mallory go up to receive her silver medal and stand in the spot allotted for a second-place winner.

Intensity was felt everywhere; no one blinked an eye or took in a breath. It was time to announce the first-place winner. The judge pursed her thin lips, waiting for complete silence to declare the gold medalist. Hopefulness showed on all skaters’ faces, except for Lilly. She looked at the ground in shamefulness and guilt. “And the first place winner and champion…” the judge said, “is… Cindy Lee!”

The rink boomed with applause. I saw Lilly’s face drop even more than it was before. She ran off from sight as she started crying. My parents and I went to join her. I let my sandy blonde hair hang in front of my face to avoid eye contact with Lilly’s grief-stricken friends as I passed by. By the time we reached Lilly, she was changed, packed, and ready to leave. Traces of dried tears glistened on her face. It was a quiet car ride back home.

Once at home, I said to Lilly, “Sorry you didn’t win.” I wasn’t sorry at all she didn’t win. I just didn’t know what else to say to fill the awkward silence.

“I deserved it,” she murmured.

Over the next week, it somehow got out that it was Lilly who tried to sabotage everyone’s game. Subsequently, I noticed Lilly sitting by herself at lunch for the next few days. She completely ignored my invitations to sit with me.

She was selfish and only wanted to win. She didn’t even think of her friends, and she was completely stubborn and conceited. “I guess she knows better now,” I thought. “You can’t always win, and you don’t always get what you want.”
♠ ♠ ♠
That's the end!! :) hope you liked it i guess