Status: cancelled.

I've Never Told A Lie

first date

I wasn't woken by the gentle sounds of a guitar, this time, but the harsh ringing of my phone again. Grumbling, I reach under me and fish for the phone in the messy covers. I rub my sleepy eyes and squint at the screen. It's Alex. A smile replaces the scowl that was there previously and my fight with Cameron is instantly forgotten. 
"Hey." He sounds nervous; it's so cute. 
"Hey, Alex. What's up?"
"Sooo..." He seems to be debating something. 
"Yes?" I prompt. 
"Maybe you want to, uhh, hang out later, like tonight?" I glance at the time. 5:43 PM. 
"Hmmm, I don't know. I might be busy," I tease. 
"Umm, oh okay then. I was just thinking of going to the movies or something but it's okay if you have other plans..I guess."
"Aww, Alex, I was just kidding. I'd love to go out with you tonight."
"Really?" Relief is evident in his voice. "Okay then, I'll pick you up at 6:45, the movie starts at 7:00."
"Okay, see you then."
"Bye, Taylor."
I put the phone down and bounce up and skip to the mirror on the opposite wall. I examine the tangled mess that is my hair and decide to plan my outfit for tonight. 
Going to my walk-in closet, I select a pair of skinny dark-wash jeans, a floral tank top, and a plain gray woven cardigan. I push the sleeves back to my elbows and slip on a few bracelets. As I hunt through a pile of shoes, I remember a pair of silver flats Cameron has that would go perfect with my outfit. I've already dialed half her number when I remember our earlier fight. With a sigh I toss my phone back down, my Alex-induced high quickly evaporating. I half-heartedly pull on a pair of dark blue Converse and check my now tamed hair one last time. I head to the kitchen, passing my mom's empty room. She must have left when I was asleep. I grab a neon pink Post-It out of a drawer and scribble 'i'm going out' before sticking it on the fridge. I glance up at the clock: 6:40. I head to the den and flip through mindless cartoons until I hear Alex's car pull up at 6:48. I wait until he rings the doorbell and count to five before swinging it open. 
"Hey." I greet him. 
"You look great. Come on now, don't want to be late."
The drive to the cineplex is short, we make small talk about nothing. 
I wait for Alex to buy the tickets as I look around at some movie posters. He goes up to the ticket booth and asks for two tickets for the 7 o' clock show but the bored-looking attendant says something which causes a small arguement between the two. Finally Alex comes back with an apologetic expression on his face. 
"Sold out," he shrugs. "I'm sorry for ruining the date."
"No, what are you talking about? We could still have fun! C'mon, let's go for a walk." I grab his hand and we walk out of the crowded complex into a more quiet residential area. Happy squeals from children can be heard and we turn the corner to find a little playground swarming with kids running around. 
Alex and I exchange a glance and then run toward the play structure. I claim the last swing, sticking my tongue out at Alex. I close my eyes and feel the breeze on my face as I pump my legs. I open my eyes to find Alex looking at me strangely. Like a combination of admiration and wonderment.
"What?" I call to him. 
"Huh? Oh, nothing..." he shakes his head and clears his throat. It's getting pretty late and most of the kids are leaving. The screaming toddler next to me finally gives up his swing and I jangle it at Alex until he gets on. 
"I bet I can go higher than you," I challenge him. 
"Nu-uh," he counters and starts swinging. 
I pump harder and I'm flying high above Alex soon. With a sigh of defeat, Alex slows down a bit. 
"I win," I gloat and stick my tongue out at him again. 
"Okay, fine. But watch me jump off," Alex swings once more to gain movement and leaps off the moving swing to...fall over. I quickly drag my heels until the swing stops and run over to where Alex is.  
"I gots a boo-boo," he pouts and shows me his scratched-up elbow.
"It's not bleeding, it's okay," I reassure him. 
"Nope," he declares stubbornly, "you have to kiss them better."
"Alright, where'd you get hurt?"
I kiss his injured elbows and knees and ask, "Are you okay now?"
"Wait, you missed a spot!" he smirks and points to his lips. I laugh and lean forward and kiss him softly. The kiss grows deeper as he pulls me closer, his hands on my hips. I feel his eyes open and I draw back. He's looking at something behind me. 
"What?" I turn around to see the most breath-taking sunset ever. 
We watch the bright orange-y purple colors vanish from sight until we're sitting together staring at the sparkles in the indigo sky. I turn to Alex who is still staring at the sky, deep in thought.  
Alex puts his arms around me and squeezes my shoulder. His warm embrace makes me feel safe and I lean back into his chest so that I could hear the steady beating of his heart. 
"Alex, that was beautiful."
Leaning in close, he whispers so quietly I can't be sure I heard right, "But not as beautiful as you."
♠ ♠ ♠
awwww (:
just a short filler
seeing the number of subscribes go up makes me smile
you guys are amazing
comment please!