Status: cancelled.

I've Never Told A Lie

hometown hereos

“Break a leg, Alex,” I say into my phone.
“Literally!” Cameron shouts from the back, mascara wand in hand.
“Cameron! Haha, okay bye,” I hang up the phone and glare at Cameron through the rearview mirror. She shrugs innocently, then resumes doing her makeup. I let it go, and turn on the radio. We both sing as loud as we can to Top 40 radio all the way to the venue, so when we arrive, we’re breathless and excited. Managing to find a great parking spot, I grab my purse and step out of the car, pulling down my mini dress so it covered my ass. It wasn’t really my style but Cameron had forced me into one.
“I really don’t feel comfortable in this,” I complain loudly.
“You look hot,” Cameron contradicts, “Now come on, I’m freezing.”
The small venue is packed with dancing people even though the show has yet to start. We slide through the masses of sweaty bodies until we get to the relatively unoccupied bar. Grabbing some mixed nuts out of a bowl, I munch as I watch Cameron try to finagle a drink from the bored-looking bartender. Suddenly, the lights dim and colored strobe lights flash wildly in a dizzying pattern. A loud cheer goes up and suddenly, everyone’s dancing like crazy even though there is no music playing. I find myself in the middle of the rush and just as soon as the lights had started, they stopped. Alex strode out, guitar in hand, confident under the spotlight. If this was even possible, the crowd went crazier.
“Hey, I’m Alex,” he yells, “and THIS is ALL TIME LOW.” And suddenly the lights flash on again and this crazy fast music starts blasting. Everyone’s dancing and grinding on each other; even Cameron’s gotten up from the bar and is getting into it. Rian’s barely visible in the back, Zack is stomping around and swinging his bass, and Jack’s sweating hard three minutes into the show. The energy in the room is building to a climax and has the music gets louder and faster, Alex steps up to the microphone and sings.
They've had chances to make this big city seem so small,
Under stage lights, in rooms packed from window to wall,
Like the sound of a smile, or the distance of song,
only measured in time as the kids sing along.

Soon everyone’s singing along and after a few covers, All Time Low had the crowd ready for the main act. I didn't remember the rest of the show; it wasn’t comparable to the opening act. As the band onstage was finishing up its last song, I grabbed Cameron and we snuck backstage. Hiding from the stage crew in a dusty corner, we could still feel the energy from the mosh pit.
“What is it?” Taylor hissed, fanning her face, her neon tips flashing.
I took a deep breath and began, “I know you don’t like him, but I really do and I'm going to go tell him right now.” Cameron opens her mouth to say something, but I hold up my hand. “Let me finish. You’re my closest friend, Cameron, and I don’t want to lose you. Please be okay with this.”
Cameron doesn't say anything for a few minutes but then surprises me grabbing my hands. “Taylor, you’ve become really close to me too. The only reason I was warning you against him was because I don’t want to see you hurt by a stupid jerk like Alex Gaskarth. But I can see you really like him so I’m not going to stop you. Plus, it’s not like he can say no to you in that dress.”
It takes me a while to get what she just told me, but when I do I pull her into a quick hug, my eyes shining. “Okay, I'm going to go tell him now. Wish me luck.”
Cameron gives a sad smile and squeezes my hand before letting it go.
“Luck.”
♠ ♠ ♠
keep commenting and subscribing
tell me what you think!