Frank's Last Words

Frank's Sad Face

Caroline couldn’t sleep when she’d got back from the movies. Her mind was awash with all sorts of things but namely Frank, or Tre Cool as he was better known.

Their conversation was a little awkward at first but as soon as he got talking he made her feel relaxed. Of course he would remember that her writer’s name was C S Wilson because it had been his idea in the first place. Remembering back to the time she’d written whilst with him all those years ago he’d read some of her writing but she was astounded at his reaction. “Its amazing Carrie, you should get it published.”

“Its not that good,” she’d said, slightly embarrassed. “Who’d want to read my work?” But she was secretly flattered by his words.

“Hey I’m serious about this, get it published, loads of people will want to read it.”

“I…I’m not sure, I don’t want all the publicity, its not really me. I like the idea of writing books and it’s something I’ve always wanted to do but its all that goes with it. I’m too shy to cope with it all.”

“Then go under a different name, lots of authors do it Carrie but going by this work you’ve been doing, you need to let others read your stuff.”

“I’ll think about it,” was all she’d said and after they’d broken up she remembered their conversation and his encouragement and decided to go along with it. Pete never did know it was Frank’s idea and he never would, she was the only one that knew.

So that night at the movies, they had about five minutes to talk and it was like the old times when they’d first met, she just wanted to stay with him, to talk and talk and it looked as thought he wanted that too but knowing they had no time he’d given her his number and said if she needed him, ever, to just call. Then he’d pecked her on the cheek, had gone off to join his band members and she’d been called away.

Their moment together over.

So now, the next morning she took out the little piece of paper with his number on it, wanting to call him but wondering if she ever could, especially after the way she’d treated him.

**

Lily put the morning newspaper into her bag and left the house to go to the dance school. She’d spotted an article about her mother’s premiere and decided to read it, she also caught a glimpse of a couple of pictures of Frank, one of him just before he’d left the theatre and he didn’t look happy. She’d never seen him look this sad and it concerned her. She’d read the article at her lunch break.

Madame Zola was at the door when she got to the school waving at her to come in quickly.

“Good morning Lily, please come in will you I need you to sign some papers for me, to finalise our agreement properly.”

“Good morning Madame Zola, are you well?”

“I’m fine Lily, thank you. Listen I saw the article in this morning’s paper,” she said leading them both into her office. “I recognised your mother from her visits here, how wonderful that she’s a writer. I’ve read two of her books, Bloodsuckers definitely my favourite. I bet you’re proud of her.”

“Yes Madame Zola I am.” Said Lily sitting down opposite Madame Zola but finding thinking it odd that Madame Zola had read her mother’s books, there was no way in the world she’d ever imagined Madame Zola reading her mother’s horror books.

“Did you enjoy it? Was there anyone famous there?” She said.

“There were the actors who are in the movie, a few pop stars, and a couple of rock bands were there too. You remember the guy I used to know, Frank? He was there with his band. They sang the theme tune.”

“Ahh…Frank. Did your husband let you speak to him?” She asked, peering over her wire rimmed glasses at her.

“No, Zach didn’t attend, what do you mean let me speak to him?” Said Lily, frowning at what the old lady had said.

”Well…after the conversations I’ve had with your husband about this Frank and his friends I’m surprised that he didn’t accompany you.” She said looking slightly worried.

“What do you mean?” Lily said sitting up and taking more interest of what she was saying.

“Your husband told me Lily…about Frank and…what they all got up to.” She said, Madame Zola wishing now she hadn’t brought the subject up, she could see how upset Lily was getting.

“What about him?” She said, “I don’t understand what you’re saying Madame Zola?”

Perhaps the girl had blocked it out to try and forget about it thought the woman. That must be it.

“Look Lily, when you broke up with Frank, Zach contacted me and said that if Frank or any of his band member friends were to contact you here then…they weren’t to speak to you, you weren’t to know that they’d called and to call him immediately and tell him.”

“What! He said that? Why on earth…,” said Lily, totally confused now.

“He told me how they’d treated you, how they were trying to get you involved in drugs and it was affecting you and the fact that you’d even thought of giving up dancing. He was going to deal with it himself. I’m sorry Lily, I know you haven’t spoken of this but Zach was right, if I’d have let you get involved with them again, who knows what might have happened,” she said, quite sincerely.

“It’s a lie.” Said Lily. “Frank and I split up and it had nothing to do with drugs, they don’t do that stuff. I don’t believe Zach has lied to you, how and why would he do this?” Lily said standing up and going over to the window.

“But he sounded so sincere Lily, he was concerned about you.” She said.

“Frank broke up with me and I still don’t know the reason. I still love Frank and should never have married Zach.”

“Oh Lily but…Zach is such a good, kind, man, he’s only looking out for you.” Madame Zola said coming over to the young girl and resting her hand on her arm.

“He’s not as good and kind as he makes out to everyone. He’s lied about this.” She said looking at the old lady, “I can’t believe he’s done this, this is so wrong.”

“Lily, I’m sorry.”

“So…did he? Did…did Frank call me at all?” Said Lily knowing the answer. Of course he hadn’t called. Why would he? He’d dumped her hadn’t he?

“Yes.” Said the old lady. “He called here twice and someone else called…um…Gerard I think his name was.”

”Gerard, yes.” Said Lily. “Gerard is his best friend. I wonder what they wanted?”

“I’m sorry Lily, if only I’d have realised what was going on.” Madame Zola said.

“Its OK, its not your fault Madame Zola,” said Lily looking at the old lady. What was Zach doing involving Madame Zola in their business? “Let me sign these papers and then I have a class to take.”

And then…then what? Something had to be done about Zach.

**

“Polly you know you’re not allowed to have water in the middle of the dance floor,” said Lily watching the little talented eight year old as she drank from a bottle of water but spilling it all over the floor.

“I’m sorry Miss Lily but I got thirsty,” she said shyly.

“Look, don’t worry about it this time, go and fetch something to wipe it up and I’ll forget about it but you must promise me not to do it again, its dangerous Polly, someone could fall.”

“OK Miss Lily,” said little Polly going off to get something to clean up the water.

As Polly opened the door, Madame Zola came rushing in.

“Lily! Lily! She said excitedly. You have two visitors. Its them, its Frank and his friend.” She said, her eyes glinting at Lily.

“What? Here?” Said Lily, fully aware that she must look dreadful, her heart started pounding and she caught a glimpse of herself in front of the mirrored wall. Face flushed, damp neck and hair piled high on her head, which was wet at the ends and sticking to her cheeks.

“Yes, I’m going to send them in. They have something they want to ask you.”

“Oh, OK.” Lily then remembered their conversation from the night before about wanting to ask her something.

But they were already at the door, peering in and some of the young dancers were giggling at the faces Gerard was pulling.

“Come in, come in,” said Madame Zola excitedly ushering the two guys into the studio. Then she turned to the young dancers. “Girls, practice your pirouettes while Miss Lily is talking please.” She said clapping her hands at the young group of gigglers.

“Hi,” said Gerard coming towards her and kissing her on the cheek. He looked tired, his hair messy and long, his sunglasses perched on his head. Frank just nodded at her then glanced around the room.

“Hey…what’s all this about?” Said Lily looking at Gerard but so aware of Frank standing nearby.

“We have something to ask you Lily,” said Gerard. “We’re shooting a video next week for a song of ours called Helena.” He said. “We need a ballet dancer, dressed in black and we…we thought of you. We’ve held auditions and no one has come up to your standards. We have a stand by girl if you can’t do it.” He said.

“A video, wow,” said Lily her heart pounding fast. How amazing that they’d thought of her to do this.

“We need to know now though Lily.” Said Gerard.

“Now?” She’d hardly had time to let it sink it. They wanted to know now. She wanted to do it but what would Zach think. Well, Zach could go to hell because she wanted to do this, most definitely.

“Yeah, well…we need to know today.” Said Gerard.

“I’ll do it.” Said Lily who’d surprised herself. She was going to do it.

“Hey that’s great Lily,” Gerard said hugging her. “Isn’t it Frank?” He said turning to his friend who had kept quiet all this time.

Frank’s eyes met Lily’s. Eyes that she’d looked into so many times, the same eyes as they’d always been but suddenly they seemed different. She wondered what he’d been thinking and why he looked so sad, the same look as in the newspaper photograph and it had been bothering her ever since she’d seen it.

But her thoughts were taken up with someone interrupting them; one of the young girls was tugging at her leotard.

“What is it Georgia?” Lily said looking down at the dark haired girl.

“Show them your new dance Miss Lily, please?” She said.

“Oh Georgia,” said Lily. Now wasn’t the time.

“Please Miss Lily, show them,” chorused the rest of the girls.

“Come on, show us.” Said Gerard unexpectedly.

“Yeah, I’d like to see it.” She heard Frank’s voice but couldn’t look at him.

She shook her head and smiled.

“OK then. Georgia, put the music on will you?” She said as she took up her position in the middle of the room.

So she danced for them, for the little girls, Frank and Gerard and it felt wonderful, she loved dancing, it made her feel free and alive and far away from everything but as she did her final leap, she slipped on the water that had yet to be wiped up and fell to the floor with a crash, her ankle making a sickening cracking sound as she landed.

**

She could hear some of the little girls crying but felt so agonisingly sick that she couldn’t even speak to them. Frank had gone off to get Madame Zola and Gerard had come to her.

“Oh Lily, your ankle.”

“I think…it’s probably broken,” Lily said feeling as though she was about to pass out.

“Frank’s gone to get Madame Zola, they’ll probably get an ambulance, you need to go to hospital.”

But Lily couldn’t answer him; just nodded as she was in so much pain.

“I feel…sick.” Said Lily.

“Its OK,” said Gerard stroking her hand, “help is coming.” He said feeling sorry for Lily.

She looked up at him.

“I doubt I’ll be dancing in your video now.” She said, breathing heavily and totally disappointed.

“Its OK, don’t worry, may be we can hold on to the shoot until you’re ready.” He said, sorry for her.

“Maybe.” Said Lily. “Where’s Frank got to?”

“I told you, he’s gone to inform the old lady, they’re getting help.”

Then she burst out crying, feeling emotionally drained and in pain. She cried as Gerard held her.

“Its OK Lily, help will be here soon.”

But she sniffed loudly.

“Its not OK Gerard. I’m scared of…everything.”

“What do you mean?”

“Nothing, nothing.” Said Lily then passed out with the pain against Gerard, wishing that it was Frank that had stayed with her but knowing that he didn’t want her anymore and the picture of his unhappy face that she’d seen in the newspaper flashed across her mind and she wondered why he seemed so sad when he had the whole world at his feet.

Image