Frank's Last Words

Sponge Bob Boxers

Lily watched the guy she was still in love with get out of bed. She watched him pace up and down in those familiar Sponge Bob boxers of his, and wondered what would happen now?

“Frank, Zach’s not worth it. Don’t even think about doing anything stupid. Please.” She said, slightly concerned about what Frank would do. He wasn’t a violent person at all, he was pretty gentle really but it seemed as though this thing with Zach had riled him. He looked so enraged; she’d never seen him like this before.

“I hate the guy, how dare he fucking interfere with us like that. He used to be such a good friend of mine, I trusted him. Why? Why did he do it?” He said sitting down on the bottom of the bed, running his hands through his long dark hair. “He used to call me up sometimes and say…” but then couldn’t finish, totally unable to believe all that Zach had told him, had lied to him about.

“What? What did he say?” Said Lily. She needed to know what lies her husband had been saying about her.

“He’d drop hints and stuff about you, like he’d say something on the lines of ‘you know, you and Lily, it can’t last you know,’ so I’d ask why and he’d say things like ‘because she won’t end up with someone like you, guys like you…she sees you like a bit of fun’ stuff like that.” He said looking up at Lily through his hair. “Stuff like, she won’t ever invite you home, she’s probably a little ashamed of you deep down. You’re her bit of rough. I thought you knew Frank, I thought you’d have guessed,’ that’s what he said, now and again, he’d come out with things like that.

He looked up but noticed he’d upset her; he hated the look on her face, he’d hated telling her but felt she ought to know. So he went to her and lay back down on the bed alongside her, drawing her in close to him.

“How could I be ashamed of you? I loved you, I could never be ashamed of you Frank…ever,” she said.

“I know. I know now.” He said stroking her back, Halloween fingers running up and down her spine.

“I hate that you thought that about me,” she said into his chest. How could he think that about her?

”I hate that I believed him, I should just have trusted you and not taken any notice about what he said but the fact that you didn’t ever bring me here kind of made sense slightly of what he said.” His fingers still playing along her spine.

“I told you that I was ashamed of all I had, it’s just not me. I just wanted you to get to know me first.”

“I know and I’m sorry. Forgive me Snow White?” He said, his words hot and breathy as she felt him speak against her hair.

“There’s nothing to forgive,” she said and as she tucked her hand into his Sponge Bob boxers she heard him groan.

**

“Who could that be?” She said on hearing the doorbell ring an hour later.

“I bet its Gerard or…hey, it could be the guy coming to do that physio thing on you, you know the guy that the hospital told us about?”

“Jeez, I forgot about that,” Lily said sitting up.

“I’ll go take a look,” Frank said reaching across for his jeans and t-shirt that he’d slung on a chair the previous night but as he got to the door he turned and looked at her.

“I love you,” he said.

“And I love you,” Lily responded knowing that probably from now on they stood a good a chance as any at making it work.

**

Five minutes later Frank entered the room.

“I was right Lily, it is that physio guy. He’s a bit weird looking,” he said whispering and grinning at her, “he has this wiry beard and these old fashioned glasses. He didn’t say much, shall I send him up?”

“Yeah, why not?” Said Lily. “Thanks.”

“Listen, I’ll send him up and then I’m going to head over to mine to get some fresh clothes, OK?” He said coming over and bending to kiss the top of her head.

“Course it is, see you in a bit.”

**

She could hear footsteps coming up the stairs at the same time as the front door closed. She felt happy once more, things were going to be good, she’d divorce Zach but…she’d may be take things slowly she thought as she sat up in the bed waiting for the physio guy to show his face.

Well he did.

He opened the door and she recognised him immediately, she knew those eyes, evil eyes, cold and heartless as the guy came through the door and took off the false beard and crap glasses.

It was Zach.